Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Frank Lampard - next England manager?!

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
I ‘almost’ feel sorry for Southgate in this tournament, the massive elephant in the room is Kane, I fully understood why GS made him captain but it’s an anchor now. He should be dropped, end of, but he can’t drop him. It needs a new broom to do that. Lampard, that’s insane, so the FA will probably do it!!

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Given his managerial record, Lampard’s next appointment is surely no higher than at Championship level or below

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
We know that Potter takes an age working day in day out to get results and we also know that elite players don't respect him. Other than being a yes man what makes him suitable for the job?
If a Southgate England team is like watching vintage gloss paint drying in the shade, in November.

Potterball with England, for the first 8 years until they 'get it' would be like watching emulsion dry on the outside of a submarine. In the Bay of Biscay, in January.

Actually, watching them try and roller it on to the tub would be quite entertaining.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I ‘almost’ feel sorry for Southgate in this tournament, the massive elephant in the room is Kane, I fully understood why GS made him captain but it’s an anchor now. He should be dropped, end of, but he can’t drop him. It needs a new broom to do that. Lampard, that’s insane, so the FA will probably do it!!
Southgate has a history of being loyal to failures.

England managers have a history of playing all the 'good' players, not a good team.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Bradley Walsh football background, and can keep the players entertained during tournaments when the players are locked up for weeks.

Got to be far better than Gerrard or Lampard.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
He has to been nailed on for it. I think we'd win a major tournament with Potter in charge.
We would if there were two seasons' worth of games that he could use to get the squad to gel. I am a huge fan of Potter as a coach, I just don't think there is enough squad time for him to make it work.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
We need a person with the man management skills of Southgate and the tactical intelligence of Capello. It's a shame those two lacked both components in their skills.

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
Need a foreign coach who can play football with flair. Unfortunately English coaches only seem to play the Safegate way and Potter was as guilty at times when at the Albion. If RDZ had the England players at his disposal then it would be ver entertaining. Poch would be a great choice.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Better to find someone who actually wants the job, rather than speculate about who will get it.
Absolutely spot on and there is the problem.

International management isn’t viewed like it used to be as successful coaches prefer working with players day in day out rather than the occasional get togethers.

Most cases these days it’s either older coaches who don’t want the day to day management and failed managers with some low level achievements on their CV.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
We need a person with the man management skills of Southgate and the tactical intelligence of Capello. It's a shame those two lacked both components in their skills.
What man management skill?

Your best defender is rejecting to play for him and the players are paralyzed with fear and negative thought every time they enter the pitch and the most commonly seen body language from the England players is "why the f*** did you do that?"

He doesn't throw people under the bus, which is good, but when key players - top players - constantly look worried, there's something wrong in the general communication.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Personally I agree with the consensus that he is a very good man manager but tactically he is useless.

For all that, it'll be interesting to see what direction this thread takes (or future threads) if he actually manages to win this tournament. For all his shortcomings he'd go down as England's best manager in the eyes of many, and actually it would be hard to argue with.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
There are very few international managers who are at the peak of their careers. It seems to be unknowns or those who spectacularly lost a high profile post and are using it as a stepping stone.

Very few top level managers end up with an international side

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here