Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Furious with East Coast and Southern

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
A bit of common sense is all we ask for. I guess that's asking a bit too much from the rail companies.

Exactly.. for a start accepting tickets when the original train missed had been the fault of another train company. Simple isn't it. A simple little arrangement made possibly by the separate companies that make up the rail industry working together for the benefit of the customer...

... oh.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I can't help feeling your anger is misplaced. This situation is nothing to do with Southern Trains so why moan at them? They sold you that ticket because you agreed to get a particular train. It's not their fault you didn't make it: what were you expecting them to say? As someone else alluded to: if you booked an EasyJet flight from Glasgow to London to then fly on British Airways to New York, would you expect BA to let you on the next flight free if your EasyJet flight was late and you missed the BA one?

If you want to moan, moan at East Coast (though if the Merry Prankster's tale is true, then it's not their fault either).

Either that, or accept you took a gamble that didn't pay off when booking the bargain, restricted, tickets, and put it down to experience
:shrug:

What has it got to with planes ? That's the bit I find hilarious.Why is a train journey to Doncaster is equated to a trip to America ?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
A bit of common sense is all we ask for. I guess that's asking a bit too much from the rail companies.

Thank god I don't hae to travel on trains anymore.... 8 years of this crap and still people don't appreciate that there is a problem....in all the years I have been working, I have never come across more jobs worths that I did on the brighton to London line.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I've seen very elderly people thrown off trains off peak because they've mistakenly got on the train before. Treated like criminals.

I would vote for any party that would sort out this ticketing nonsense that the train companies get away with.

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
And people wonder why the country is grinding to halt?? Maybe because we have a ridiculous overpriced privatised rail system, run by fuckwits, employing fuckwits.

We are the laughing stock of the world considering we invented railways. If we can't sensibly and cheaply move people between our own towns and cities anymore (and we cant) how can we hope to compete internationally?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
And people wonder why the country is grinding to halt?? Maybe because we have a ridiculous overpriced privatised rail system, run by fuckwits, employing fuckwits.

We are the laughing stock of the world considering we invented railways. If we can't sensibly and cheaply move people between our own towns and cities anymore (and we cant) how can we hope to compete internationally?

Yep it is fantastic as we are all paid a shed load more for this nonsense as well

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
What has it got to with planes ? That's the bit I find hilarious.Why is a train journey to Doncaster is equated to a trip to America ?

Plane or train - The cheaper the fare, the less flexibility. Same principle. If you miss a connection with a cheap rigid fare whether train or plane, more often than not, you're f***ed.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Plane or train - The cheaper the fare, the less flexibility. Same principle. If you miss a connection with a cheap rigid fare whether train or plane, more often than not, you're f***ed.

Good stuff, someone else who understands the issue

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
We've manged to get "stock" and "shed" into this debate. Can we get and more puns in?? before I go to sleeper?

Depends how well TRAINED you are......

Give us a signal

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea

I understand this. But surely this is why we need a national rail system. I fail to see the benefit of many private operators. What are the benefits of privatisation ???

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Yeah, i made this when i was a bit pissed off about it - but yeah it is my fault. Having read the T+Cs now im back, i hadnt started the London - Eastbourne journey - therefore i had to buy a new ticket.

Must of said Southern as they refused to accept the ticket, but in hindsight i know why it wasnt accepted and its something i have to live with - not the end of the world and at least i had the money to buy a new ticket.

Lesson learnt - next time, give more bloody time to transfer !!!!!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Have you ever got a train in Europe and had to put up with this nonsense ?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
.. and the research shows that the general public are confused.

Rail passengers baffled by train tickets - Telegraph

Wonderful response from the industry again equating their industry to something COMPLETELY different. It's like a Monty Python Sketch.

“Which? has asked people to identify the detailed terms and conditions of tickets that they may never have bought.
“It’s like questioning someone on the plot of a film they haven’t seen or the rules of a sport they don’t follow.”

The tickets that make me laugh are the ones you are penalised for getting off early. Hilarious. We used to laugh out loud at this nonsense on a Sunday night with Esther Rantzen.

How reassuring it's alive and well in 2012.

Anyone got a picture of a rude vegetable ?

Last edited:

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Ahhh, i see where i got confused now - below are the T+Cs for Advance tickets -

Conditions of use
You must be at the departure station shown on your ticket in good time to catch the train. If you miss the first train on which you are booked for any reason, a new ticket must be purchased.
If delays occur while travelling, you will be allowed to take the next available train(s) to complete your journey.

I obviously thought the 2nd one applied only, not confusing at all !!!

andybaha

Jan 3, 2007
Piddinghoe
We were on that train. I was going to Haywards Heath and had an ordinary day return for the HH to Victoria stretch so I was never going to have a problem. My mate was going onto Angmering and had a pre bought ticket. At Victoria his ticket let him through the barrier and on the train our tickets were checked by the guard who didn't pick up (or couldn't care) that it was for the wrong train. I've just texted him and apparently no problems at Angmering either.

The moral of the story? Keep your mouth shut!

To be honest, the Victoria line on the underground being closed was a bigger problem than the delay at Doncaster.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here