Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gary Lineker, Micah Richards, Roy Keane, Alan Shearer and Eni Aluko

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
Maybe the clothing sponsorship didn't cover that bit

Well that certainly explains why he looked very different. Why does a wealthy man like him need another revenue stream? I thought he had similar beliefs to me, sounds like he could be a Tory after all.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Lineker has become an aged self parody with a questionable moral compass. His main problem is he thinks he’s intelligent…
I take it you’re not too impressed with the likes of Kylian Mbappe and several other members of the French national team choosing to speak out intelligently and articulately about the upcoming French national elections.

i have fostered a feeling for decades that top French footballers are more thoughtful and intelligent than their English equivalents.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Beeb seems just somewhat lacking tonight.

Mr Moral Compass seems to be wearing his own clothes. Shearer looks like he's missing a Micah to rip on. Cesc is good to be fair.

I do actually think that the podcast explosion and the emerging prevalence of stuff like the Overlap has basically created a distilled crack cocaine version of the MOTD-templated bonhomie and I'm not sure I'm down with it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
All deserve to be binned immediately. Nauseous nonsense, little personal jokes that no one else is party to. Jeez, they are absolutely awful. and just talk rubbish.

Bet they are being paid a fortune for the month.

Get them out!

Contrast Mark Chapman, Sam Matterface, Clive Tyldesley, Cesc Fabregas and the real start Ally McCoist. All excellent IMHO.

TNBA

TTF
And don't forget, ITV have a brilliant new competition where you can WIN all sorts. Details after the ads. See you in 5 minutes.

BBC for me, all the way.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I bet they have all earned tons more than he did too. He was a proper football chap, that was enthused by every match he ever presented. I liked Bob Danvers-Walker, he was unique too as a broadcaster.
Bob Danvers-Walker's voice was used on the 12 inch version of Two Tribes by FGTH

His catch phrase?

Action Packed War Comic!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Well that certainly explains why he looked very different. Why does a wealthy man like him need another revenue stream? I thought he had similar beliefs to me, sounds like he could be a Tory after all.
To play Devil's advocate, if he believes strongly enough in the rightousness of his clothing brand, how could he wear another? How? As the player booked for an obvious foul would say: how? HOW? How?

How?

1718756803306.png

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Isn’t that like asking why does TB need to earn more money?

de la zouch

Jul 12, 2007
I take it you’re not too impressed with the likes of Kylian Mbappe and several other members of the French national team choosing to speak out intelligently and articulately about the upcoming French national elections.

i have fostered a feeling for decades that top French footballers are more thoughtful and intelligent than their English equivalents.
Not sure why you would think I wasn’t impressed by what Mbappe said. I was incredibly impressed that he has spoken out about the potential rise of the far right in France. He’s talking about something he knows about with intelligence and insight. Where as Gary…..

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
One advantage the BBC used to have is that, when not in game time (most obviously during half time) they had no adverts so that time could be (was meant to be) filled with informative insight. Now it's packed with trailers for other sport on the BBC, the upcoming series of XXX (insert crap cop show here) or Eastenders.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

The French, in my experience are wonderful to talk with, intelligent and philosophical. No reason their footballers should be any different. We have TOWIE and all manner of similar crap whilst they have Satre and rationalism. I am a tiny bit jealous.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
We have TOWIE and all manner of similar crap whilst they have Satre and rationalism. I am a tiny bit jealous.
Have you ever seen French TV? TOWIE would be a highlight.

One odd thing about the pundits is that they're all ex-players now and not managers (yes, I know managers are ex-players too but you know what I mean). If you go 20, 30 or 40 years ago, we used to get the likes of Clough, Allison, Big Racist Ron, O'Neill, McCarthy etc. The only one I've seen on my screen this time around is Moyes. You'd think people who think daily about tactics would be a better bet than punters whose main thought is what to wear on the golf course tomorrow.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
too many of them over intellectualise it all. It's fine to have a bit of that but they need to remember that they are ultimately providing an entertainment programme. BBC get that balance wrong in my view- I know that Richards is there for the "comic relief" but with him it always feels forced and contrived whereas across on ITV McCoist is a natural- such a charismatic guy

I would like to see a shift towards having a distinguished journalist on the panel- so many ex pro's have little to no insight, or at least can't communicate that they do (I can't believe that Rio Ferdinand knows as little about football as he portrays) whereas a lot of football writers know loads about tactics and players and are used to presenting that information.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Not sure why you would think I wasn’t impressed by what Mbappe said. I was incredibly impressed that he has spoken out about the potential rise of the far right in France. He’s talking about something he knows about with intelligence and insight. Where as Gary…..
Fair enough and glad to hear it.
but I generally also agree with the stuff that Lineker expounds about, which I guess is why we see it differently.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here