Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] General Election 2024 - 4th July

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Sadly, it’s the only way he can get any sort of media coverage in country dominated by two parties that are guaranteed to remain in control in a FPTP voting system.
SM is quite a step, start with the customs union, scrap the crappy damaging trade deals done by the Tories and with it all the red tape killing UK/EU trade.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The Tories will announce their new manifesto at Silverstone.

The headline is their £12bn cut to welfare in order to fund the 2% NI cut bribe.

Silverstone has been selected as the location as it’s fits in nicely with their plans to dramatically increase air pollution in the capital by getting rid of the ULEZ restrictions.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Can’t entirely agree with all that.
I voted Remain and for me, the fact that Johnson backed Leave was a huge black mark against him. I didn’t particularly like him, but hoped that he would ‘grow/mature into the PM role. Well, I got that seriously wrong. Nevertheless, it cannot be denied that the fact that Corbyn was the leader of the Labour Party and was up for PM scared the fu…ng pants of a hell of a lot of people in the country, including sensible Labour voters. That was a contributory factor in the landslide defeat. If Labour had had a half sensible bloke/blokess in charge, then I think the result would have been rather less catastrophic for the party.
Yes, that is my personal take on things, but I don’t imagine I was the only one with those thoughts.
I think you are right, but Corbyn almost won in 2017 (and probably would have done if he had been fully supported by the rest of the Labour Party). His leadership then didn't result in a landslide defeat. Far from it. In fact, there was a massive surge in Labour membership, particularly amongst the young.

So what changed in those two years? The answer is at least partly that the whole media and establishment set out to destroy him once they realised he could be a serious contender for PM. That is the reason people were deterred for voting for him.

He had plenty of faults for sure and was a pretty terrible 'politician' in the broader sense (think McDonnell would have fared better), but Labour's (fully-costed) manifesto of 2019 was full of great ideas which could have improved the lives of many in this country.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
I think you are right, but Corbyn almost won in 2017 (and probably would have done if he had been fully supported by the rest of the Labour Party). His leadership then didn't result in a landslide defeat. Far from it. In fact, there was a massive surge in Labour membership, particularly amongst the young.

So what changed in those two years? The answer is at least partly that the whole media and establishment set out to destroy him once they realised he could be a serious contender for PM. That is the reason people were deterred for voting for him.

He had plenty of faults for sure and was a pretty terrible 'politician' in the broader sense (think McDonnell would have fared better), but Labour's (fully-costed) manifesto of 2019 was full of great ideas which could have improved the lives of many in this country.
Until Covid hit

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Listening to Sunak now. I had no idea how prosperous, safe and healthy I have become over the last 14 years!

I have been on the phone this morning trying to find out why my telephone appointment for today, for chronic pain, hadn't happened. I went online and read the small print. Yes, the appointment is for June 11 2025. A telephone appointment. For chronic pain.

God, I feel so blessed to have enjoyed these years of tory government. Rejoice.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Listening to Sunak now. I had no idea how prosperous, safe and healthy I have become over the last 14 years!

I have been on the phone this morning trying to find out why my telephone appointment for today, for chronic pain, hadn't happened. I went online and read the small print. Yes, the appointment is for June 11 2025. A telephone appointment. For chronic pain.

It's OK though. Our children are the best readers in the world because of the tories......

Priti Patel has been popping over once a week to help me read That's Not My Dinosaur with the kids.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia

After all they've done for us and you're still not happy? You ungrateful little shit.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
After all they've done for us and you're still not happy? You ungrateful little shit.
He's promising me so much.....I'm seriously tempted. It all sounds brilliant. Thank God he's going to fix the mess created by the present government! I'm IN!

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Where does the Reform party find these people..... ?

BBC News - Reform UK candidate apologises over Hitler neutrality comments
Well what a surprise.
A racist loon in a party of racist loons masquerading as good ol boys and gals
The mask slipped with this one though.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
This is handy if your objective is to unseat as many Tories as possible.

It does support any party just show who to vote for, for the best chance of unseating the Tory

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009

Sorry to hear about your chronic pain, Harry. An appointment in a year’s time? What a joke. However, I’m not sure you can put this entirely down to the Tory Government. The fact is that the NHS is a mess and the writing has been on the wall for years. Neither of the main parties have had the balls to face the problems and as both Starmer and Wes know, throwing endless buckets of cash at the problem isn’t the answer. As I said in a previous post, I hope Wes has the courage and backing to do whatever is necessary to implement necessary reforms and take on the most powerful trade union in the country.
It is a hell of a task, but one day it has got to be done.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The Tories are going to re-open the Beeching lines - Uckfield and Lewes connected at last!

They really have found the magic money tree

medwayseagull reborn

Oct 12, 2022
It's OK though. Our children are the best readers in the world because of the tories......

Priti Patel has been popping over once a week to help me read That's Not My Dinosaur with the kids.

Is that a book about the Tory cabinet she was a member of ?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sorry to hear about your chronic pain, Harry. An appointment in a year’s time? What a joke. However, I’m not sure you can put this entirely down to the Tory Government. The fact is that the NHS is a mess and the writing has been on the wall for years. Neither of the main parties have had the balls to face the problems and as both Starmer and Wes know, throwing endless buckets of cash at the problem isn’t the answer. As I said in a previous post, I hope Wes has the courage and backing to do whatever is necessary to implement necessary reforms and take on the most powerful trade union in the country.
It is a hell of a task, but one day it has got to be done.
Cheers mate. Ironically I don't really blame the Tories particularly for the mad waiting lists. If the NHS is anything like the higher education sector, it is overrun with management, creating mountains of process. I don't blame the process makers either. If you employ 20 people, ask them to look into something and come up with new process, they will. Multiply that 100 times for 100 'issues' and there you have it. The 'bad brains' are at the top.

I do know the top management in higher education are semi detached from the coal face and have as much idea about the processes they have 'ordered' as that daft bat who ran the post office had about her 'business'. In the military you have a chain of command. In higher education (and I suspect in the NHS) you have Gordian knot of confusion. I fear we may have crossed an event horizon, with a loss of accountability. As in the post office, understanding the consequences of decisions is not apparently part of the job description.

(I was sent a load of documents recently on 'research Integrity' initiatives. My uni has take it upon itself to create a whole team to manage this. They have published 'egg-sucking' advice on things like 'taking responsibility' and yet there is nothing to check if any of this will happen. Most people won't read it. In the meantime principle investigators run their teams any way they see fit. The scientific literature is full of shit. And we all have perverse incentives for our career - get grants, publish papers. I have published proper guidance documents for a research society. Does my institution ask me to engage with them? No. Do they even know about what I've done? No. When I contacted them they basically ignored me. I suspect this sort of thing goes on across much of the public sector, largely owing to the 'business models' imposed from Thatcher onwards. People working in silos.)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here