Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goal music, the ritual with the scorer's name, the "Ultras", a slum of a ground...

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Anton-Putsilo-verstaerkt-in-der-Rueckrunde-den-Hamburger-SV_cac4998b70.jpg

No_Surrender-Hamburg.jpg

PsychoPaul

Banned
Nov 7, 2012
Correct but your support is shit.:thumbsup:

You had more Palace in the ground for your home game against Burnley - says everything about you.

Goodnight

Our biggest ever home attendance was against Burnley, yours was with Fulham I believe, and for someone obsessed about attendances why don't you post was those figures were...

Well you obviously haven't been to games at the Amex where the words to your songs are put up on the big screen for the JCL's to sing along to...

Happened once and the fans complained to the club about it and its never reared its ugly head again. Your "fans" could contact Palace and ask for the goal music to be removed but they haven't - so I guess you all like it :lolol:

18,000 real Palace fans in the ground Major old boy. You prob get 15,000 proper Albion each week if your lucky. And as much as you like the numbers, the only one's that really matter are 3 and 0.

:lolol::lolol::lolol: Where were your 18k "real" fans against Cardiff, Forest & Sheff Wed when you only had 11k home fans in the ground this season?

Were all three games midweek because you don't turn up midweek do you? something about the ground being difficult to get to, or the Police, or stewards, or the cold - I forget which as the excuses seem to change each time.

Over 3k unsold home tickets for your big game when you went top of the league. God I bet the Premiership are praying you don't go up - another Wigan.:lolol:

Nevermind another BOGOF coming up against Hudds I note.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
all this against a team that parked the bus and left 10 men behind the ball for 90% of the game.

:facepalm: we had a player sent off in the 6 minute and injuries left us without a defender on the bench, in an away match what would you expect, really, but still if you have to cheat to get the result with the luxary of a home ref well done.

I'm about to get a slating of a lifetime here.....

......I like Selhurst, it's the sort of shithole I was brought up watching football in. I loved The Goldstone too when it was fully open. Narrow streets, bad bogs, turnstiles a fat man won't get through, smelly 'ot dogs, dark and rusty metal and a low roof at the top of the stands and everyone standing where they like. It's a nostalga trip for the older fan.

I love Falmer and am very proud of it but the match day experience I loved when growing up was very similar to Saturday. (My opinion only)

paulie

Jul 27, 2004
:lolol::lolol::lolol: Where were your 18k "real" fans against Cardiff, Forest & Sheff Wed when you only had 11k home fans in the ground this season?

Were all three games midweek because you don't turn up midweek do you? something about the ground being difficult to get to, or the Police, or stewards, or the cold - I forget which as the excuses seem to change each time.

Over 3k unsold home tickets for your big game when you went top of the league. God I bet the Premiership are praying you don't go up - another Wigan.:lolol:

Nevermind another BOGOF coming up against Hudds I note.

At least going up is something you won't have to worry about for a while.

Yes, our stadium is old, we have less fans than you, BUT we contine to embarrass you on the pitch.

Our biggest ever home attendance was against Burnley, yours was with Fulham I believe, and for someone obsessed about attendances why don't you post was those figures were...

a lot (on both sides) are a bit tired of attendence threads, I'm not questioning the size of the Burnley crowd, I remember the night well. I think the point i'm trying to make, if there is one, Is they were certainly the days! In the late seventies i saw us play in front of getting on for 70,000 in the space of 5 days (Charlton/Blackpool) and I accept we wouldn't have made 51,000 but there were fans locked out on both days. I personally think if roles were reversed we'd get similiar gates (i.e you'd get 25k in a shiny new ground and we'd get 17k if we were in a lets say, 20k cap. Goldstone) but we'll never know

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
The goal music and the goal scorers name being shouted is cringeworthy I will admit..But I dont think that its done for the grown ups, it started I am sure with a family day and it was for the kids! and to be fair the kids (and I mean in age) seem to like it ! Its not all about 30/40 and 50 year olds.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I have no issue with Selhurst, it's like the Goldstone, a bit crumbling, view not great in places but does hold some good (and f***ing awful) memories.

The Ultras are not for everyone, but at least they have got off their arses and tried to create an atmosphere, the Amex can be pretty quiet at times, but that is a feature of many grounds these days, and I think we are probably above average in terms of creating some noise.

If the North stand was extended a bit, or standing was allowed, then perhaps we could make more noise, but can't see either of those happening.

The goal music is part of the sanitisation of the game, it's been going downhill since they started letting women attend matches IMO.

COYP

Oct 1, 2012
The only thing I can see is a lot of people clutching at straws. Last season when we did you in the Amex it was 'We're still above you, well done for winning your cup final but we're still above you' this time it's 'Goal music and poor attendances'. You got beaten because we were better and because Dunk lost his head as well as the ball... and his match fee... There was no cheating and Buckley's dive was shocking..must have been taking lessons off Wilf.

MACROBLUE

Jul 9, 2011
At least going up is something you won't have to worry about for a while.

Yes, our stadium is old, we have less fans than you, BUT we contine to embarrass you on the pitch.

On a serious note why do Palace get such small crowds?.

PsychoPaul

Banned
Nov 7, 2012
a lot (on both sides) are a bit tired of attendence threads, I'm not questioning the size of the Burnley crowd, I remember the night well. I think the point i'm trying to make, if there is one, Is they were certainly the days! In the late seventies i saw us play in front of getting on for 70,000 in the space of 5 days (Charlton/Blackpool) and I accept we wouldn't have made 51,000 but there were fans locked out on both days. I personally think if roles were reversed we'd get similiar gates (i.e you'd get 25k in a shiny new ground and we'd get 17k if we were in a lets say, 20k cap. Goldstone) but we'll never know

That Burnley game was my fondest Palace memory, even better than beating you lot at any point, I was 12, the gates were locked an hour before the game yet even more managed to climb over & get in. When the final whistle went me & my little brothers were straight over the boarding & onto the pitch. Ironically promotion to the 1st division meant our family got priced out of going to football and I think prices are the main reason the attendances suffer, that & all the sky/tv coverage.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Palace must suffer, to some extent, with people choosing to go and watch Premiership clubs in London instead. The whole attendance debate is nonsense, really.

paulie

Jul 27, 2004
On a serious note why do Palace get such small crowds?.

I don't think they are smaller than they've ever been (apart from 82-86). Until we get a decent ground or a sustained period of sucess they'll be around the 15k mark. You've got one of those and are benefitting from it. If we stay in the top 2 into Mar/Apr we'll be getting 18k-ish.

Palace fans are quite fickle and many in the area do follow Prem sides. Even in our most sustained period of sucess, 1989-93, we only got around 15k.

In the Prem we would get 20-25k as all those locals wanting to watch Prem football would go to Palace, hopefully.

5 Zero

Jul 13, 2011
:facepalm: we had a player sent off in the 6 minute and injuries left us without a defender on the bench, in an away match what would you expect, really, but still if you have to cheat to get the result with the luxary of a home ref well done.

You've misunderstood my point, I wasn't have a pop at Albions tactics I was mearly responding to the other poster who said even with 10 men we only scored 3 and 2 of them were pens. The point I was trying to make was that after the red it actually became harder to break you down than it did with 11 because you became (rightly so) ultra defensive.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here