Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus: "I know what I've got to change for next season."

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I must admit, i do like the look that squad :) Obviously we need to sign players. Just dont trust Gus to do that. This is a man who chased Hoskins for a over a year, a man who smashed our transfer record to buy a league 1 striker who could not score in a brothel. No i dont trust him

Saying CMS couldn't scoer in a brothal is a tad harsh.

Playing CMS as a lone striker is never going to get the result people expect. If CMS played up top with another striker I'd agree with you, but its like asking CMS to score in a brothal that's whoreless. You have to provide a whore for him to score in a brothel, the same as you have to supply him with teh right service to expect him to score a shit load of goals for us. :lol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Maybe he is softening the blow when Nooney is sold and Vicente goes back to Spain ?
What blow, Vicente has gone, and I'd be chuffed if we just got some magic beans for Craig No End Product Noone.

bhafc60bhafc

Apr 4, 2012
we need to buy 2 full backs, a centre mid , a winger and a tall striker...... gus is a quality manager but the problem is is that he plays the players to their weaknesses and he's always putting lualua on the bench even when he's one of our best players

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Two keepers as wont be happy with either Anks or Brez challenging next year
One CB as Greer is getting older
An RB and an LB... Calde getting older and Painter cant be no 1
One defensive MC as Navarro is getting on
One attacking box to box MC
One striker

MINIMUM

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
If Gus thinks he plays, proper football then as far as i'm concerned he can shove it up his arse. 80% of the time there has been nothing to get excited about this season, in terms of the way we play. We set up not to lose games, instead of playing to the strength's of our stronger players and attacking teams. Most of the time all our possesion is in our own half, while the opposition get organised in front of us. The ball does not move quick enough through the midfield...Football is supposed to be entertaining, what we have witnessed 80% of the time this season is not entertainment....49 goals in 43 games, says it all. Only two teams have scored less than us away from home and they are both in the bottom 4.

Agree with this - it's Gus's mindset that has to change, especially away from home. Lets hope the West Hame result makes him think about the tactics, team selection and new acquisitions very carefully

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
He does play proper football. I think he needs to rethink his tactics away from home. It seems to me that we play exactly the same type of game in all matches. At The Amex it works really well as we seem to be able to play it at twice the pace we do away from home, where it looks very laboured and pedestrian. He seems more reluctant to play the wingers away. I think what I'd do is keep our set-up exactly the same at The Amex and stick with the pass-at-all-costs mentality but play the wingers away and look to hit teams on the break. It's seriously tough to pass a good team like West Ham to death on their own pitch, so maybe a more direct approach (ie Kazenga and Buckey running with the ball, I don't mean hoofball) could work in away matches.

Eff me. One of the most considered, intelligent and POSITIVE contributions to the thread. Good work.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
This poster is a classic example of the keyboard warrior tosspots that people try and remember when we hammer Birmingham ( or the next memorable occasion that Gus provides for BHA) .
In case you hadn't noticed the people dominating the football world right now are the Spanish and Latinos in general. Eventually EVERYBODY will be playing this possession football because the up-and-at-em English style is a busted flush. I don't care if we're crap at it (8th leads me to think we're not) and it takes 10yrs to perfect, IT'S THE RIGHT WAY. Have faith or go and support West Ham.

This keyboard warrior has been going for over thirty years...and it wont matter a f*** if we put five past Birmingham it watford...Millwall, doncaster and others were the games.Who cares what you can do when the pressure is off,it doesnt matter..The horse has bolted and when the pressure was on,poyet f***ed it up....tosspot.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
I think the biggest thing we need is a goal scorer. I genuinely think if we'd had a Lambert or a Vaz Te we'd be comfortably in the top 6 and looking forward to the play offs.

THIS if you add a keeper to one of those strikers then yes. Not loads of changes this time, just couple of real quality ones. Granted Mattock being retained would help too as not exceptional but certainly a realistic upgrade who's already settled in the team.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
"I know what I've got to change for next season." said Gus yesterday.

What do you think he will have decided that he needs to change
Some of our clueless fans?

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Ok, i will give it to you....Vicente, class act probably the best player ever to grace the stripes. Certainly in the last thirty years anyway. Shame we surround him with players who are so far off his wavelength it a joke....Vicente and Lualua against Derby were unplayable, Vicente and Buckley against Reading were pretty impressive and even a few link ups between Vicente and CMS have shown promise...But Vicente with Barnes/Dicker/Bridcutt and Navarro!!!!!..You don't really want me to state the obvious do you?

:facepalm:

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
This keyboard warrior has been going for over thirty years...and it wont matter a f*** if we put five past Birmingham it watford...Millwall, doncaster and others were the games.Who cares what you can do when the pressure is off,it doesnt matter..The horse has bolted and when the pressure was on,poyet f***ed it up....tosspot.

I'm assuming that you have left your account logged on in an internet cafe somewhere? If not then I think you should seriously think about getting some professional help.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
Saying CMS couldn't scoer in a brothal is a tad harsh.

Playing CMS as a lone striker is never going to get the result people expect. If CMS played up top with another striker I'd agree with you, but its like asking CMS to score in a brothal that's whoreless. You have to provide a whore for him to score in a brothel, the same as you have to supply him with teh right service to expect him to score a shit load of goals for us. :lol:

Well, if you put it like that........

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Let's keep this in perspective, and not be too affected by the result on Saturday. There isn't much we need to add in my opinion. Obviously any ex-Prem players who just add that bit more know-how would be a plus, and I would like to see them added to the mix, but we don't need them all over the park.

GK - I love Brez, but there is no doubt, the big occasions bring about nervy shows from him, and that needs addressing.

Def. If we can secure Mattock, then we're looking good. A big strong ex-Prem CB would be nice, but not a urgent need for me. 2 from the 3 of Greer, El-Abd and Dunk, looks good. The need is perhaps at RB. I really like Calderon, but clearly Gus favours someone a bit more solid defensively, and he does have a point.

Mid - Unfortunately, the sort of pacy, box-to-box player people talk about are rare, and probably out of our price range. I would look out for a strong holding player, who will simply disrupt what the other team is doing, stopping them from playing. Players like Shaun Derry are available at a price we can afford, rather than looking for something more akin to Bryan Robson! Beyond that though, I think Brid, and Nav have looked pretty good at this level, while we have a couple of options for the attacking midfielder in "the hole". Vicente and JFC play that role to a standard I don't think we could improve. Harley, and maybe Dicker are probably part of the cull.

Wide - well, we have plenty. Buckley, Lualua, and Noone, while Barnes can do a job there if Gus wants more tracking back and less running at the full back. No needs there for me.

Striker - we haven't quite got this right have we, and I don't think Vokes is the answer either. I can see THIS being the area we look for a talented goalscorer, who for some reason is dropping out of the Prem this summer. I don't know who this summers Vaz Te will be, but if they could be coming to us, then great. This is the main target area for me for the summer, and the answer is probably NOT a kid with potential, it's a talented older player (30+) who still has 2-3 good years in him.

The "cull" will probably be more of the fringe, squad players rather than first teamers.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Need:
a goalie (Brez as back up)
a right back - not Reyes (Calderon as back up)
a centre back (to add to El Abd, and Greer and other youngsters)
Mattock for left back - Vincelot as back up.
a class attacking midfielder to alternate with/or addition to Vicente
a big forward who can win headers, hold the ball, link play and score a few

I would like to see him play with one holding midfielder (we have Bridcutt and Navarro competing for this).
We have plenty of wingers and if he is only going to play one at a time, then he could let Noone go.

There are plenty of players who could be released this year, and we will have to get shot of them if we are going to afford the sort of quality we need to bring in.

Good luck with that Gus!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here