Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus Poyet - right or wrong?

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
Not good. I think he was primarily trying to defend his mate Suarez, but it looks terrible laid out there as a series of comments. Is Gus racist... i don't think so. Is Gus a bit hypocritical at times...yes.

arfer guinness

Feb 15, 2007
Cannot be bothered to read 17 pages of comments so I may be repeating some views. Gus said nothing wrong, Evra is pathatic. He sounds like a little child in the school playground reporting the nasty boy who called him a name.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
I now have a horrible fear of us drawing Man U at home in the 3rd round of the cup... and loads of our fans start booing Evra in a misplaced display of loyalty to Gus! Not saying we shouldn't be loyal to Gus, by the way, i think we've got to know him enough to know that he sometimes he loves to rabble on into all sorts of territories when interviewed, coming out with things that don't entirely mean what he intend them to mean... which is sort of what i think has happened here.

Shaz

Jul 18, 2011
Top of the World
Cannot be bothered to read 17 pages of comments so I may be repeating some views. Gus said nothing wrong, Evra is pathatic. He sounds like a little child in the school playground reporting the nasty boy who called him a name.

Totally agree. He is the child in the playground that always tries to get other kids in trouble. He has probably never abused anyone in his life!!!!

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Possibly the most pompous post I've seen on NSC, are you doing your best to sound like an MCC member commenting on an umpiring scandal or something !!

Eh? I meant our club, as in we are Brighton fans, and Brighton is our club. Didn't mean it to sound pompous.

After listening to Gus on TalkSport, I definitely see where he's coming from, though admittedly he dug himself a hole and probably uses personal experience a little too much. I guess firstly, why should we automatically presume Suarez is guilty? Gus obviously knows Suarez and if he believes he isn't racist, then he's going to back his countryman. Also our ignorance of other cultures is one of the classic English traits that I hate. Latin America has a far greater history of dealing with other races than we do, and therefore they have terms which may translate differently in this country. Like Poyet said this morning, he's been in this country for a long time and thus has adapted to our customs, whereas Suarez hasn't. I think Gus has chosen his wording poorly (i.e. cry baby) and shouldn't assume just because he put up with racism, others should. But I believe he has a point and shouldn't be vilified for what to some extent could be sensible comments, depending on the conclusion of the Suarez/Evra incident. He just should have kept out of it IMO.

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
Anyone who speaks a foreign language can see the crux of this case is going to be about nuance. If Suarez called Evra 'Negrito' as seems to be generally accepted, that has nowhere near the same strength as say '******', or even 'negro' over here.

But that is a separate issue, Gus has allowed people to portray him as not taking racism seriously enough which is a big shame because some of the points he made were sensible.

absolutely spot on.

manutd_gone_wild

Nov 18, 2011

Attachments

• rio_ferdinand_1114662c.jpg
    rio_ferdinand_1114662c.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 36
  • rooneyPA0904_468x514.jpg
    rooneyPA0904_468x514.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 37

Shaz

Jul 18, 2011
Top of the World
Eh? I meant our club, as in we are Brighton fans, and Brighton is our club. Didn't mean it to sound pompous.

After listening to Gus on TalkSport, I definitely see where he's coming from, though admittedly he dug himself a hole and probably uses personal experience a little too much. I guess firstly, why should we automatically presume Suarez is guilty? Gus obviously knows Suarez and if he believes he isn't racist, then he's going to back his countryman. Also our ignorance of other cultures is one of the classic English traits that I hate. Latin America has a far greater history of dealing with other races than we do, and therefore they have terms which may translate differently in this country. Like Poyet said this morning, he's been in this country for a long time and thus has adapted to our customs, whereas Suarez hasn't. I think Gus has chosen his wording poorly (i.e. cry baby) and shouldn't assume just because he put up with racism, others should. But I believe he has a point and shouldn't be vilified for what to some extent could be sensible comments, depending on the conclusion of the Suarez/Evra incident. He just should have kept out of it IMO.

Totally agree, this is one of the most sensible quotes ive read all day

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
My opinion on this and the wider issue for what's it worth. I've tried to stay out of the "football/race" conversations as much as possible, but what Gus has said actually struck a chord with me.

Some on here will know, I'm from a mixed race background. I have also played football at various levels from Sunday League in Brighton to rural backwater leagues in Bristol and Cornwall. During 15 or so years I have encountered racial abuse. I wouldn't say it was regular but it certainly was more regular than I would have liked. What Gus said struck a chord because the thing that was furthest from mind was reporting the issue to the local FA or the police. I'd much prefer to smash the perpatrator in the next tackle or deliver a cheeky 'accidental' elbow in the next header. On my part, that is probably the wrong course of action, but that is me and how I would have dealt with the situation. I feel a little (and I stress the word little) uneasy with people who havent suffered this abuse telling me how I should and shouldn't react to racist abuse.

The whole thing has got totally out of hand. Of course, any racism or generalisation has absolutely no place in football, but there needs to be a certain amount of 'manning' up that goes with it. The thing about the two high profile cases at the moment that grates with me at the moment is the club/personal rivalry that is tagged along with it. Would Evra have complained so vehemently had it been, for example, a Wolves player? Would Anton and QPR made such a deal of it had it been an Aston Villa player who hadn't disposed his brother as England captain? I may be being unfair here, but something just doesn't sit right....

All this being said; I am livid that Poyet has even needed to say anything about this. We have a MASSIVE game tomorrow and it has diverted from this. It is fairly clear that he isn't a racist. Stupid, and outdated maybe; but not a racist.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Evra is no angel.
He was the player who instigated the walk-out by the French national team at the last world cup and got banned by French football association for his behaviour.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Anyone who speaks a foreign language can see the crux of this case is going to be about nuance. If Suarez called Evra 'Negrito' as seems to be generally accepted, that has nowhere near the same strength as say '******', or even 'negro' over here.

But that is a separate issue, Gus has allowed people to portray him as not taking racism seriously enough which is a big shame because some of the points he made were sensible.
Exactly this.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
United fan on TalkSport this morning made a valid point that coloured is an acceptable term over here but not in the US. Is that any different to what Poyet is saying?? Are we guilty of double standards?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here