Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus Poyet - right or wrong?

Shaz

Jul 18, 2011
Top of the World
My opinion on this and the wider issue for what's it worth. I've tried to stay out of the "football/race" conversations as much as possible, but what Gus has said actually struck a chord with me.

Some on here will know, I'm from a mixed race background. I have also played football at various levels from Sunday League in Brighton to rural backwater leagues in Bristol and Cornwall. During 15 or so years I have encountered racial abuse. I wouldn't say it was regular but it certainly was more regular than I would have liked. What Gus said struck a chord because the thing that was furthest from mind was reporting the issue to the local FA or the police. I'd much prefer to smash the perpatrator in the next tackle or deliver a cheeky 'accidental' elbow in the next header. On my part, that is probably the wrong course of action, but that is me and how I would have dealt with the situation. I feel a little (and I stress the word little) uneasy with people who havent suffered this abuse telling me how I should and shouldn't react to racist abuse.

The whole thing has got totally out of hand. Of course, any racism or generalisation has absolutely no place in football, but there needs to be a certain amount of 'manning' up that goes with it. The thing about the two high profile cases at the moment that grates with me at the moment is the club/personal rivalry that is tagged along with it. Would Evra have complained so vehemently had it been, for example, a Wolves player? Would Anton and QPR made such a deal of it had it been an Aston Villa player who hadn't disposed his brother as England captain? I may be being unfair here, but something just doesn't sit right....

All this being said; I am livid that Poyet has even needed to say anything about this. We have a MASSIVE game tomorrow and it has diverted from this. It is fairly clear that he isn't a racist. Stupid, and outdated maybe; but not a racist.

Brilliant post, totally agree

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Gus and Suarez are correct about the use of the term, in South America as I wrote somewhere else. I simply do not understand the lack of knowledge showed by the supposedly "World Leading Brand", the EPL. You cannot tell me that no-one in the whole of the EPL setup does not understand the term used in its common, colloquial term in South America or has either the intelligence nor interest in looking it up on Google!
This whole scenario just goes to show the ineptitude of the people who run the EPL, and also the amount of clout some clubs have with them.
Gus needs to make some comment, simply due to the fact that he is his compatriot and that due to his time in the UK the Uruguayans would believe he could explain the situation too them.
As per normal the press, with no football to talk about talk shit on any available subject worth a few lines of comment.

MCK

Nov 18, 2011
Do f*** off; your club has spent the last 20 years doing all it can to destroy the English game.

I agree that the poster is an idiot but why have Manchester United spent the last 20 years trying to destroy the English game?

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
Haven't read the whole thread, but if, as Gus intimates, he would go to court to defend Suarez, how can he tesify, under oath, when he wasn't there to hear it? Sure he can give a character assessment, but not be a defence witness.
As an aside, did anyone else pick up on the South African (?) FIFA delegate making a reference to this whole fiasco on 5 Live this morning, stating that Suarez is 'Mexican' and that Anton Ferdinand plays for Queens Park ? Good to know fingers are firmly on pulses .....

manutd_gone_wild

Nov 18, 2011
Manchester_United_Champions_2011.jpg

Sep 19, 2011
Cuckfield
I agree that the poster is an idiot but why have Manchester United spent the last 20 years trying to destroy the English game?

I'm sure there will be a lot of bollocks reasons spouted, but it is mainly as they've done their best to win every trophy going and dominate the game to a level that has taken the piss somewhat. Of course, if Brighton and Hove Albion ever did that we would all think it was amazing and not ruining the game at all

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Haven't read the whole thread, but if, as Gus intimates, he would go to court to defend Suarez, how can he tesify, under oath, when he wasn't there to hear it? Sure he can give a character assessment, but not be a defence witness.

That's all he means, that he would go to court to defend Suarez against accusations that he is racist.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Racism is ok right up until someone gets hurt. Let me clarify that statement a bit, terrible as it sounds. I'm perfectly capable of being casually racist with my black friends as a joke and they're happy to return it in kind and no-one at all is offended it's just ribbing between mates. I would NEVER say something that could be construed as racist in front of someone I didn't know or someone I do who might take offence at it. Suarez is the very definition of a horrible little bugger though so I have no doubt in my mind that he insulted Evra and should be reported. Gus is right in the sense that in the world today (particularly England,) pc has gone absolutely mad, it's starting to get ridiculous but discrimination based on race/religion/credo is never acceptable and if Evra genuinely was offended that seriously he was right to report it.

I agree with every word.

An excellent summation of what is and what isn't racist. All. About. Context.

manutd_gone_wild

Nov 18, 2011
Another title bought. You must be so proud.

We make money unlike Chelsea, City and to an extent Liverpool.
We have to put up with all these mercenaries and still we rock out with our cock out ;)

Oh and I bet you would love to be in our position, unfortunately racist clubs dont attract fans Q.E.D no revenue.

macky

Dec 28, 2004
Why does he have to be right or wrong. He has just stated his view That the trouble with this country (and this board) at the moment No ones allowed a view uless the majority agree with it

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here