Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus Poyet Said We Have Spent 70% of our Transfer Budget Already

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
Holy shit.
If these are the demands being made on the chairmans wallet when we're still a year away from kicking off in a proper stadium, I dread to think of the neverending binfests that will kick off NEXT season when we've got this lot PLUS a few thousand newbies all expecting the cash to be splashed all over the shop a-la Man City.

Some of you are like overexcited children, stamping your feet and wanting it all now now NOW.

The point is that TB built up the expectation. He could have quite easily said this season is one of consolidation, with the big push coming next year when we have the cash from selling 14,000 season tickets, but I think he got a bit carried away and probably rather regrets one or two things he said a couple of months ago. It's his money and he can obviously do what he wants with it, but if he had no intention of seriously funding a better squad, he would have been better advised to keep quiet.

I would love us to be challenging for promotion this season, but in the great scheme of things, mid table this year with Falmer finished and ready for next season sounds ok to me.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
FFS... you can have an average TEAM full of great players... you guys are either very stupid, which I doubt, or are deliberately twisting what I said...

Indeed you can; but with Gus as manager the opposite is FAR more likely. We're going down the average players / great team route if anything.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Understandable when Bloom said wanted top 2 though

We all WANT top 2, but Bloom can't (and didn't) promise it. How could he ? Its a target, nothing more nothing less. Whether its realistic or not is another matter entirely, but anyone who has interpretted Bloom as giving us some kind of guarantee, and is looking to "hold him to his word" is being a bit of a tool. Bigger clubs than Brighton have thrown more money around than Brighton and gotten absolutely nowhere (except the High Court).

As I have done for many, many years in supporting this club, I have set my default expectations this season to "dissapointment". Anything we achieve over and above that will therefore be a pleasant bonus.

"I think we've certainly got a team and a squad together which has an excellent chance of finishing in the top six. "We're aiming for the top two but it's going to be very difficult. I am confident we will do successfully on the pitch this season."

T. Bloom, 6/8/2010

There's a simple solution, ban anyone with less than 34,700 posts :)

This of course is extremely sensible. :thumbsup:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Holy shit.
If these are the demands being made on the chairmans wallet when we're still a year away from kicking off in a proper stadium, I dread to think of the neverending binfests that will kick off NEXT season when we've got this lot PLUS a few thousand newbies all expecting the cash to be splashed all over the shop a-la Man City.

Some of you are like overexcited children, stamping your feet and wanting it all now now NOW.

As has been said, the expectations were raised by Tony and Gus... I'm not stamping my feet, just reflecting the expectations of the club's over-lords...

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Read my fcuking post dip-shit...

Why do YOU think Gus has repeatedly said he needs 4 or 5 new players?

Well I often want things I can't afford, that's the reality.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
We all WANT top 2, but Bloom can't (and didn't) promise it. How could he ? Its a target, nothing more nothing less. Whether its realistic or not is another matter entirely, but anyone who has interpretted Bloom as giving us some kind of guarantee, and is looking to "hold him to his word" is being a bit of a tool. Bigger clubs than Brighton have thrown more money around than Brighton and gotten absolutely nowhere (except the High Court).

As I have done for many, many years in supporting this club, I have set my default expectations this season to "dissapointment". Anything we achieve over and above that will therefore be a pleasant bonus.

"I think we've certainly got a team and a squad together which has an excellent chance of finishing in the top six. "We're aiming for the top two but it's going to be very difficult. I am confident we will do successfully on the pitch this season."

T. Bloom, 6/8/2010

Exactly.

Tony's comments from before that (about a top two finish) were ones I took as that of an enthusiastic Brighton fan (admittedly a very rich one with a huge amount of influence and responsibility) who seriously wanted his side to do well.

You could argue it placed a pressure on Gus he could have done without, but it never raised my expectations. For a reality check, I'd take Gus' appraisal of his squad over Tony's every time - and at no point (unless I missed it) has he promised a top 2 finish.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The point is that TB built up the expectation. He could have quite easily said this season is one of consolidation, with the big push coming next year when we have the cash from selling 14,000 season tickets, but I think he got a bit carried away and probably rather regrets one or two things he said a couple of months ago. It's his money and he can obviously do what he wants with it, but if he had no intention of seriously funding a better squad, he would have been better advised to keep quiet.

I would love us to be challenging for promotion this season, but in the great scheme of things, mid table this year with Falmer finished and ready for next season sounds ok to me.

I don't base my expectations or aspirations on the season purely on what the chairman says - I base them on what I see happening. Anything else is, to all intents and purposes, hot air for an insatiable media. Anyone who ends up disappointed has only done so because they've read FAR too much into whats been said.

Based on the the progress made last season, it looked to me like with a few shrewd signigs, we could realistically be challenging for the Playoffs, and thats still where I think we are right now. Like you, I'd be happy enough at a flirt with the Playoffs that maybe ends up mid-table, because that will be a great improvement on the last few seasons, and improvement = progress.

Its this impatience that so many fans seem to have that gets up my nose.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
My guess is that we are still trying to break even whilst at withdean and live within our means. 70% of the budget is likely to be the wages side of the budget, think about it a squad of 23 minus the four players we need plus the money it cost to either buy them or pay the signing on fees will equate to roughly that missing 30% cash to buy players at any level is just the first thing, money to pay them weekly on a long contract will also be included in the budget.

THRK; said:
It is an interest free unsecured loan. He specifically structured the loan this way so that the club wouldn't be lumbered with huge repayments (like Man United for example). Staggeringly generous thing to do. And unsecured means if we go pop, he is unlikely to see any of it again.

The TB money means that we'll get a stadium that will allow us to trade at a profit (currently giving half of all gate money in rent for example). This profit - and total lack of debt, will be the way we can grow the club for the long term.

If you haven't read the Swiss article, you should do so. It makes it clear what the finances are and explains why Falmer - and specifically the way it has been financed - is so important and will secure our long term success

IMHO are both the correct answer

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset

T. Bloom, 6/8/2010

This of course is extremely sensible. :thumbsup:

As the kids would say..... this.

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
Jesus. The transfer window hasn't even closed yet. Some of you need to calm down. If there aren't further reinforcements by the end of the transfer window (which I highly doubt) then MAYBE you can be critical of our dealings this summer. You can't moan based on speculation so shut it.

I for one never expected anything other than mid table obscurity this season.
Was labelled a moaner by many, however, as I have said on many occasions a team that is relegation fodder rarely competes for promotion the following season. And yes we had a good run at the end of last season, but for the best part of the last 2 years we have been relegation fodder.

The signings this season, lack of, a number of quality ones, have been apparent.

I made this comment in June and was slated & July slated & now in August (and some NSC posters are still expecting the cavalry of 4 quality players to come over the hill before Saturday!).

I seriously believe that we are on the up & won't have to look over our shoulders this season towards the foot. However, a draw is all I am expecting on Saturday. Anything more will be a big plus.

My advice for what it is worth. Is don't expect too much & who knows you may be pleasantly surprised!

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I for one never expected anything other than mid table obscurity this season.
Was labelled a moaner by many, however, as I have said on many occasions a team that is relegation fodder rarely competes for promotion the following season. And yes we had a good run at the end of last season, but for the best part of the last 2 years we have been relegation fodder.

The signings this season, lack of, a number of quality ones, have been apparent.

I made this comment in June and was slated & July slated & now in August (and some NSC posters are still expecting the cavalry of 4 quality players to come over the hill before Saturday!).

I seriously believe that we are on the up & won't have to look over our shoulders this season towards the foot. However, a draw is all I am expecting on Saturday. Anything more will be a big plus.

My advice for what it is worth. Is don't expect too much & who knows you may be pleasantly surprised!

I take it with this laid back attitude you haven't parted with £470 for a season ticket then !

I take it with this laid back attitude you haven't parted with £470 for a season ticket then !

I am a season ticket holder at Withdean (section next to singing), so keep nice and cheerful there without everyone standing up every few minutes!

Sometimes, one expects promotion, sometimes hopes not to get relegated & other seasons to make up the numbers. This being one of those seasons for me.

It was evident that we should have boosted the squad significantly in the pre season, but didn't. Our pre season friendly results were dismal - so certainly dampered my expectations.

I think where we are now in the league is about right. If Murray/Barnes were injured & we had to rely on Hart/Holroyd - then bottom 4 here we come!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I am a season ticket holder at Withdean (section next to singing), so keep nice and cheerful there without everyone standing up every few minutes!

Sometimes, one expects promotion, sometimes hopes not to get relegated & other seasons to make up the numbers. This being one of those seasons for me.

It was evident that we should have boosted the squad significantly in the pre season, but didn't. Our pre season friendly results were dismal - so certainly dampered my expectations.

I think where we are now in the league is about right. If Murray/Barnes were injured & we had to rely on Hart/Holroyd - then bottom 4 here we come!

You take your some of your season's expectations from pre-season results?

Blimey.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Jesus. The transfer window hasn't even closed yet. Some of you need to calm down. If there aren't further reinforcements by the end of the transfer window (which I highly doubt) then MAYBE you can be critical of our dealings this summer. You can't moan based on speculation so shut it.

Again, Poyet was (correctly) looking to assemble his squad BEFORE pre-season... then it was before the first game proper, then it was before the window closes... next, we will be told Jan is fine... we are now 4 (admittedly unluckily; should be 3) players short ACCORDING TO GUS... we have been 3 then 4 players short for weeks now... and yet,myself and others are told to 'shut it' and/or that we are impatient! Now that, my friend is fcuking ridiculous...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here