Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus to tempt Bridcutt away?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
To be fair after watching a few of the Sunderland games, they have been playing really well despite their results, and I am not to sure if he would be in their starting 11.

Does Gus or Sunderland need him as much as we think they do? If Gus is desperate to get him and he believes he is an instant first teamer, £3-4m would sound about right.

This is what they have paid out when buying players.

Jozy Altidore £8.5m
Emanuele Giaccherini £6.5m
Charalampos Mavrias £2.5m
Vito Mannone £2m
Adam Johnson £10m
Steven Fletcher £12m
Danny Graham £5m
John O'Shea £4.5
Wes Brown £1.2m

The full list is here

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/premiership-transfers/sunderland-transfers.html

Of these, Wes Brown is a bargain (as is John O'Shea if he really cost four pounds fifty, but I'll take that as an error). The rest they've paid seriously over the odds for.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Yep, Ki has been playing fantastically and has established himself as a fans favourite and they don't need Bridcutt unless for cover.

Gus has inherrited a lot of quality players.

except Ki is on loan and therefore not their player long term.
My guess is Bridcutt will have a trsnsfer value of around £2m to £2.5m absolute tops

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It was reported that Gus had said that he was prepared to resign if he wasnt in charge of who came in and was sold or released..

If it's the report I'm thinking of he actually "theatened to quit"* if a particular player was hired. The suggestion is that it works at sunderland how it works here, there is a person in charge of negotiations who works with the manager/head coach to work out what the team needs, what's available what the club can afford and tries to get the ones the manager wants etc. Gus has a say, and in one case he has said absolutely not to one of the options. (*How serious his threat was is probably only known by Gus and whoever interviewed him when he said it i.e. he could have said it in jest, he could have said it in a non-threatening matter of fact, he could have said it in a pout 5 year old's voice in all seriousness).

He sounds to me like he's desperate to play in the EPL, and that probably means he would happily sign for every single one of the 20 teams in it.

That's how I read it. If he gets an offer in january he is taking it regardless of where we are in the league. But until then he's gonna give his all for us. Seems fair enough to me.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
All contracts run down. Bridcutt's won't end until 2015. That means, if we decide to hold firm, it might take 5-7m to get him. If Sunderland were to pay that, Bridcutt would be happy, Poyet would be happy, Bloom would be happy, most Brighton fans would be happy, and I'd be happy because a club that recently appointed a fascist as their manager would have paid over-the-odds for one of our players, because -- as seems to be somewhat infrequent at present -- B&HA have tied him down to a long contract, because they rate him highly.
If his contract is running down we don't get to hold clubs to ransom over the fee, if there isn't interest from multiple parties no club is going to bid over the odds for a player who would free 12 months later. If Bridcutt isn't going to sign a contract Bloom will look to recieve a fee before allowing him to walk for free.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
It is this, which means there's three transfer windows before his contract expires.

Which means there are only 2 chances to get a fee for him. If he's going the January window is the only one where we may get a reasonable fee, if 1 only Sunderland come in and offer £2m Bloom will probably have to accept it. If nobody comes in or we ask for too much he'll be even cheaper by the summer with only 12 months left, the next January window is pretty much irrelevant as nobody will pay good money for a 25 year Championship defensive midfielder who will be free in 5 months.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Which means there are only 2 chances to get a fee for him. If he's going the January window is the only one where we may get a reasonable fee, if 1 only Sunderland come in and offer £2m Bloom will probably have to accept it. If nobody comes in or we ask for too much he'll be even cheaper by the summer with only 12 months left, the next January window is pretty much irrelevant as nobody will pay good money for a 25 year Championship defensive midfielder who will be free in 5 months.

I counted three 'ifs' in that post, so can I indulge in just one please? If there are a number of clubs that want him, then the fee will go up. The alternative for Brighton is to ignore the 2m offer, and think about a potential 120m in keeping him. Despite my multiple posts (apologies, I'm a bit of a novice on this malarkey) on your comments, I agree with what I think is the general thrust behind your comments, which is that NSCers tend to overestimate the value of our players.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Bloom made it very clear at a recent meeting that he had no intention of selling Bridcutt to Sunderland. None whatsoever.

He did add a caveat that all players have a price, but if he does go to rejoin Gus, it certainly won't be on the cheap.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I counted three 'ifs' in that post, so can I indulge in just one please? If there are a number of clubs that want him, then the fee will go up. The alternative for Brighton is to ignore the 2m offer, and think about a potential 120m in keeping him. Despite my multiple posts (apologies, I'm a bit of a novice on this malarkey) on your comments, I agree with what I think is the general thrust behind your comments, which is that NSCers tend to overestimate the value of our players.

Agree with the general over inflation of our players values.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
Sunderland COULD be so far behind he doesn't take it but tbh I think he'll be off for about 4M

That is a valid point ! Bridcutt IMO will only get bottom end Premiership interest,he needs to chose carefully,but not for 4ml...........i would like more than 2, .......i fear less than 2....plus the famous add ons .

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Anybody thought that Sunderland might be relegated and Bridders will be no better off....

He will have played in the premier league, and potentially shown other premier league clubs that he's not just good in the championship, but is good enough for the premier league (albeit not enough to carry a whole team) thus clubs who perhaps wouldn't pay us what we wanted for him because he was unproven, might pay sunderland what they want because he will have shown he can succeed there. If not he'd be at a side that would have a strong chance of going back up, especially with FFP biting the other clubs.

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
He's been our best player for the last 2-3 years without doubt against L1 and Championship players. He could easily play at mid-lower prem level. The only time his true ability has been called into question is when Arsenal brought on Wilshire in the cup last year and Liam was chasing shadows. He'll do we'll at mid/bottom end prem but he's not top 4. Therefore 5m would be the top end of what we could realistically expect.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
He's Rubbish, can't see why any premier league teams would be looking at him, utter toilet...

Barnes on the other hand, amazing, the Austrian Pele, someone should definitely come in for him.

:wink:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Oscar seems to be bracing us for more bids for both Liam and Ulloa in today's Argus. Seems very philosophical about it too, which is a bit of a worry.

Stumpy Tim

Bridcutt is replaceable, though it would be tricky. Ulloa would be massively difficult to replace.... There aren't many goalscorers like him around.

Having said that, if we can get £10m for the pair Oscar can pick up half a team from Spain for that!

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
I thought Bridcutt wanted to play in the premier league? Why would he join Sunderland, as less than 4 months later he would be back in the championship and possibly playing in a team lower than us next season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here