Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Hamas/Gaza/Israel

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I have been pretty naïve politically, in not realising that AIPAC used to be AZPAC. They changed their name from American Zionist Public Affairs Committee to American Israeli PAC. I never knew this until I Googled it recently. They have conflated Zionism into Israel and therefore any criticism is obviously anti-semetic except it isn’t. Zionists allied with the NAZIs to persecute Jews because their aim was a homeland for Jews and any Jews that didn’t share their ideal were expendable. They have manipulated public opinion to the extent that any criticism of the Israeli Government is perceived to be anti-semetic even if it comes from Jews.
It's not right to lump all forms of zionism into one. As far as I know, only the Stern Gang made attempts to form some arrangement with Nazis, and that was in order to attack the British, not persecute Jews.
From the other end, I have seen some suggestion that Nazis tried to arrange with Palestinian Jewish leaders to enable them to ship European Jews forcibly to Palestine.
I believe the official line from Jewish leaders at the time, was to fight the Nazis like there were no British, and fight the British like there was no war.
There are zionists that completely disagree with there being an Israeli state, and zionists that want an entirely Jewish state, zionist Christians, and a lot of Jews that are waiting for a messiah to lead them into Israel and think its wrong to try and go back till he gets here.
I will agree that currently there is an issue with Israeli Government trying to expand the definition of antisemitism unjustifiably.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Labour complicit in war crimes?

They will be if they ignore any illegality found in the review they say is currently in process.
The question for me is will the review be completed before there is an end to the fighting, and will they still implement a ban if it finds Israel to not be compliant but the fighting is over?

Politically a very difficult situation, Israel is almost certainly commiting war crimes, but is also very powerful in lobbying Western Governments, and influencing the Jewish opinion in Western countries.
I don't want to say Israel is paranoid, because it faces real threats, but because of that, it is quick to react to any criticism, won't accept any criticism, and goes on the offensive to tackle criticism.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
They will be if they ignore any illegality found in the review they say is currently in process.
The question for me is will the review be completed before there is an end to the fighting, and will they still implement a ban if it finds Israel to not be compliant but the fighting is over?

Politically a very difficult situation, Israel is almost certainly commiting war crimes, but is also very powerful in lobbying Western Governments, and influencing the Jewish opinion in Western countries.
I don't want to say Israel is paranoid, because it faces real threats, but because of that, it is quick to react to any criticism, won't accept any criticism, and goes on the offensive to tackle criticism.
Hamas is absolutely certainly committing war crimes, and yet we still supply arms to their paymasters in Qatar. Presumably stopping sales to Qatar will be next.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Hamas is absolutely certainly committing war crimes, and yet we still supply arms to their paymasters in Qatar. Presumably stopping sales to Qatar will be next.
Very true.

Perhaps the UK Government should also introduce regulations to prevent State owned Qatar investment consortiums from buying into the English Premier League. while they are at it. They have made it clear in the past that they have interests in the EPL with at least three Clubs; Manchester United, Liverpool and Tottenham Hotspur all coming into their spotting scopes in recent years.

FIFA allowing Qatar World Cup sportswashing which has bolstered tourism in the Country; the acquisition of PSG and Qatar’s investment portfolio in London real estate have all propped up this tiny Country and it’s ability to provide financial backing for Hamas as has our import of oil.

Last year, the UK imported £6.9bn of fossil fuels from Qatar. As soon as we wean ourselves off fossil fuels the better imo -

That said, it is not in our interest for our political allies in the ME ( ie the Gulf States) to be weak against Iran or the Russian sphere of influence in the ME.

It’s a conundrum.

borat

Jul 16, 2003

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
One of the chief launderers of misinformation and weaponisation of antisemitism seems to be falling apart

Interesting. Baddiel and colleagues earn a little bit of respect back from me, not top of their worry list I am sure. But good to see them able to think for themselves rather than just following the normal route of complete and utter solidarity.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here