Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harley

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Poyet must think he he's up to the job as we were tracking him for a long time.............................

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
With Navarro and Bridcutt snapping at heels in midfeild this should realease Harley to push on with a bit more freedom.

I think he has got a good touch, sometimes he just needs to do the basics and forget about fancy stuff. Also he should use his hieght a bit more and win a few more headers. The lad has got potential which will develope with time and games.

I do agree about the body language as he does run as if he has got a stick up his backside.

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
The fact that he has played so regularly suggests that the people that matter deem him as up to the task (this has admittedly been helped by injuries). The fact is he is only going to get better with a run of games and that is something that seems to have happened in the last few weeks.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Cov was his best game but still didn't make much of an impact for me, just didn't see any errors. I dunno about Derby .. Aspinall got at him a few times but posts on here suggest he wasn't too bad

I genuinely hope he does improve and turn out to be a top quality player but I don't have a crystal ball so the Jury's well and truly out for me. He's been too crap over several games to start giving him accolades imo. The example of BZ is a good one and there are many examples where a change of club, change of player around them, or (usually) stuff that we don't get to see really improves a player and hope that can be done with Harley.

In the BBC commentary at the Millwall game Aspinall really took Harley apart, quite aside from the penalty which he described as the worst he had ever seen in his career as a player and whatever he is now.

Bit hard on someone if you have a media figure who's got it in for you I should imagine.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
Still reiterate that he was our best player v Cov. His work off the ball in stifling the opponents midfield from high up the pitch is now not going unnoticed which I'm pleased about.

Those same preaching how he isn't good enough are, I suspect, the same ones who wrote off El-Abd two years ago!

Sent from my iPhone using a goat

To be honest i thought he was shite. I wrote him off a long time ago but I'm man enough to admit I was wrong. Over the last couple of games I have seen something in him that has changed my opinion. He now looks like a team player rather than an individual, he is slowly adapting to the way we play. I can see a very special player developing here and with Buckley/ Vicente always injured along with a long term Gary Dicker Injury we are going to need him to step up. He has shown signs he is doing that. I for 1 am going to get off his back. He will be a very important player for us as the season progresses

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
The bloke has had two average games and has stunk in all the others. I cant believe some of the garbage im reading on this thread.

sebtucknott

Aug 22, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
In the BBC commentary at the Millwall game Aspinall really took Harley apart, quite aside from the penalty which he described as the worst he had ever seen in his career as a player and whatever he is now.

Bit hard on someone if you have a media figure who's got it in for you I should imagine.

Apparently before each game Charlie Oatway tells the penalty taker how to beat the keeper. Ryan was told Forde always dives so hit it down the middle.

Ryan was gutted when he didn't dive as normally he smashes penalties into the corner. No doubt that ruined his confidence for the rest of the game.

I think he will be a great player for us given time.

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton
To the guy who thinks this is all 'garbage' I'd suggest taking a moment to consider why we on NSC shouldn't look for the positives and discuss a player in those terms? When Harley arrived because of the way we missed out on him to a now prem team (again suggesting he has something we haven't seen the best of yet) and the fanfare of Gus getting his man, we expected an instant star. Well here we are discussing how it might take a while for him to progress and his merits so far, even if he has had a game or two where he was open to criticism.

I expect you are the type to contribute 'he's shit, get rid' to most threads and find yourself with an erection from doing so.

As for Vicente when fit over Harley... Do you mean 38 caps for Spain Vicente? Yes I think that's a fair exchange, lol. Rotating the two according to form and fitness is fine in my view. Excellent in fact, if Harley continues to improve and Vicente can stay in good shape.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
He was pretty good last night in my view. There was one occasion where there was a loose ball with Derby having a chance to break from their area and he just stood and watched it, but this happened much less last night. One time he was coming forward in a good position and should have released the ball, but on other occasions he was passing well. If he could only learn when to play the final ball, he could work very well on one-twos with Mackail-Smith, as Gus seems to prefer playing one forward withdrawn. Just wish he'd done his research before the penalty at Millwall. That apparently used to be his penalty-taking technique at Exeter. He should have known or been told that David Forde does not move. Even so, I think he can develop into a Championship footballer.

Apparently before each game Charlie Oatway tells the penalty taker how to beat the keeper. Ryan was told Forde always dives so hit it down the middle.

Ryan was gutted when he didn't dive as normally he smashes penalties into the corner. No doubt that ruined his confidence for the rest of the game.

Ah, I hadn't seen that before I posted. In that case, Charlie got his instructions wrong, as Forde doesn't dive. You're right - he couldn't put a foot right after that at Millwall.

Last edited:

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
The bloke has had two average games and has stunk in all the others. I cant believe some of the garbage im reading on this thread.

I think this is a perfect example of what is wrong with some posters on here/football fans in general.

I can't actually believe the amount of abuse that Harley has received since he has arrived. But then, I was also sticking up for Navarro when Gus was playing him, when the majority of fans were complaining how shit he was bla bla bla. Then, once these people start taking notice of the minority that actually have a vague understanding of football formations/tactics/team set ups and understand the role he plays for the team, he gets more praise and they swiftly change their opinion so back with the majority again.

Gus has been tracking this player for a considerable time, he didn't have pre-season with us so is playing catch-up in terms of fitness and understanding team tactics. His arrival coincided with a number of injuries and some poor team form. Yet Gus is still playing him, and we have now won 3 in 4 games. Is it so hard to give the bloke a proper run of games before jumping on his back?

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast

Be better if he'd HIT it, not patted it though. Like the Liverpool player last night.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
I think this is a perfect example of what is wrong with some posters on here/football fans in general.

I can't actually believe the amount of abuse that Harley has received since he has arrived. But then, I was also sticking up for Navarro when Gus was playing him, when the majority of fans were complaining how shit he was bla bla bla. Then, once these people start taking notice of the minority that actually have a vague understanding of football formations/tactics/team set ups and understand the role he plays for the team, he gets more praise and they swiftly change their opinion so back with the majority again.

Gus has been tracking this player for a considerable time, he didn't have pre-season with us so is playing catch-up in terms of fitness and understanding team tactics. His arrival coincided with a number of injuries and some poor team form. Yet Gus is still playing him, and we have now won 3 in 4 games. Is it so hard to give the bloke a proper run of games before jumping on his back?

Good post :clap2:

kano

Jun 17, 2011
I have tried to stay positive about harley all season and now there are some signs hes getting into the swing of things in recent games.

I was also chuffed to see him get his goal against barnsley as after all the stick hes had about effort it was nice to see him doing the running to be up there and ready to get the rebound.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I expect you are the type to contribute 'he's shit, get rid' to most threads and find yourself with an erection from doing so.

Oh do f... off. I very rarely abuse any player, but Harleys display against Palace was quite simply disgusting and its going to take much more than 2 average performances to endear me to him.

As your camp, you are obviously very easily pleased and he has certainly not waranted any of the waxing lyrical in this thread, he has certainly not played any better than Navarro who is still getting critisism I see, but not from me!

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
If NSC had been around in the mid-90's I wonder if Kurt Nogan would have survived the stick he undoubtedly would have got after his first few games for us?

I really like Harley, but then I live near Exeter and he was class for them, which he will surely reproduce for us. There is no way that free kick was just a fluke.

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
We just need to remember this is his first season at this level and he also needs to settle into new surroundings and playing style. He's done well last two games but would probablyt benefit from playing with the likes of Dicker or Vicente who could compliment his style.

I think Gus has gone back to basics a bit to halt the poor run and if we can return to our pre Leeds game form then Harley will come good. :thumbsup:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
In time he will be good. But as usual people have already made their judgments after a handful of appearances and judged him to be "shit"
Seem to remember a similar situation with Guy Butters and more recently Alan Navarro. Both turned the fans around.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I think he will be an huge asset as time goes by and a very talented player. As usual various people jump on the bandwagon and a trying to ruin his reputation when he is playing in a quality and picked week in week out.

Shame on some people, if you mistakes in your life do you get criticised as much as him ?

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
Still don't rate him but obviously hope he proves to be otherwise
Good thing about last night was the work ethos of the whole team including Harley
The closing down in the 2nd half was superb and everyone was doing their job giving Derby no time on the ball
Normally Harley is the weak link here as he appears to be lazy and space therefore gets created for the opposition
Yesterday was not the case and his work rate was excellent

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
With Navarro and Bridcutt snapping at heels in midfeild this should realease Harley to push on with a bit more freedom.

I think he has got a good touch, sometimes he just needs to do the basics and forget about fancy stuff. Also he should use his hieght a bit more and win a few more headers. The lad has got potential which will develope with time and games.

I do agree about the body language as he does run as if he has got a stick up his backside.

I agree, I think he'll get better and better, a player of great potential - this season is a learning curve, not just for Harley but for most of the players, and we will get quicker, better and stronger as the season progresses.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here