Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Have you put the heating on yet? (2022/23 edition)

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Not happened here yet it seems...

When the outdoor temperatures are reach levels consistently below 15c here, the heating turns on automatically and stays that way 24/7 until it gets warm outside again.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Mrs Wz is starting to wrap up, but I'm still in t shirt and shorts :thumbsup:

With slippers since yesterday :blush:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Yep, I'm getting charged for it whether I use it or not so I'm happy to stick it on when my knees get chilly.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
No way yet. Getting up to high teens again by weekend and next week too so no chance for a good while yet

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
I've come in from work this morning and the radiator is warm so yes, it's been on.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I'm struggling this morning - my phone tells me it's 6 degrees.

#staystrong #onwiththefurrybuckethat

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Mrs Giraffe has been making all the noises she normally does at this time of the year. Sitting with a blanket on in the evening. Coming in from putting something in the bin by saying how cold it is out there. If she actually asked to put the heating on I might actually have the discussion but she hasn't :).

I'm standing firm. I want to get to November before putting it on.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I have a wife who really feels the cold and suffers from arthritis, especially when it’s wet and rainy. Of course we have had the heating on, not much but in the early morning for a few days now.

I am hating it that she feels the need to ask if it’s OK to put the heating on, of course it is :shrug:

She is the thrifty one with money in this household so it’s just her natural instinct to try and save money.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Via the Huge Energy app it looks like our heating first kicked in on September 30th last year. We've resisted thus far this year, but it looked like there had been a light frost last night when I walked the dog on the Downs around 7:30 this morning.

Whilst also looking at Hugo I can see that we'll use about 200kWh of gas in September - basically a bit of water heating twice a day.

This is pretty much the same as on a single day last winter when the heating was doing its thing.

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Whilst also looking at Hugo I can see that we'll use about 200kWh of gas in September - basically a bit of water heating twice a day.

Have you not been showering this month? Our usage (admittedly for 6) from just hot water and hob will be about 800KwH...

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Haven't even ordered any oil yet. Tank is empty.

Log burner has been used a few times. Loads of free wood around me to burn.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Have you not been showering this month? Our usage (admittedly for 6) from just hot water and hob will be about 800KwH...

There’s only three of us, but 15 minutes of boiler time each morning and early evening has done us fine.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
No, but wearing jeans rather than shorts today, for the first time in about 6 months.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
I had a new central heating boiler installed last month, the old one we put in in 1993 and was seriously inefficient. New boiler is an ideal 24Kw unit (bought British and comes out well in customer and equipment reviews). Paying dividends already. My CH used to cost £1.60 per hour to run, now, even with the increase cost to 7.5ppkwh (due to go up to 10.2p on Saturday) the CH costs £48p per hour to run. 93% efficient boiler paying dividends.Large sandstone walled house takes a lot of heating in the winter.
I also have been a wee bit more careful of when to put on the water and the heating. HIVE certainly helps (HIVE/NEST are a total no brainer for anyone who wants to save money) and the net result with all this is is that this year my September spend is down from £90 last September to £75 this September for gas and electricity.
An hour a day to take the morning chill away from the living areas and to heat a big tank of water. At least this energy crisis is making folk think about maybe keeping a slightly cooler house?
Log burner will be in use mid Oct to keep the downstairs warm, at a fraction of the cost of electricity or gas.

TNBA

TTF

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here