Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hillsborough do we show support at the next match?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It's a dig at all this need for these mawkish displays of emotion. Why do we as a nation all now feel the need to do this? Can't we be left to our own thoughts and leave the public mourning to those whom it has actually affected? I'm sorry if it upsets you but I find it totally unnecessary. And I write that as someone who had a mate at that match on that day.

Agreed.

Spadge

Sep 21, 2011
Theres a difference from a major national tragedy which cost the lives of 96 innocent fans, to a group of about 20 fans who force their way towards a train door. The train issue could be sorted by not pushing. Can stick longer trains on all you like, will still happen as people cant wait.

Back on topic - Sheffield Wednesday werent involved, it just happened at their stadium 23 years ago. It is of course good for the REAL truth to come out and as football fans we can be happy with that.

You obviously dont travel on the train then do you if you think its the pushing to get on a train! The seats are all taken and everybody is squashed in crammed against the sliding doors with there faces twisted like a 5 year old window licker! Get the train from Brighton to Falmer at around 2 o clock and have a see for yourself.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
It's a dig at all this need for these mawkish displays of emotion. Why do we as a nation all now feel the need to do this? Can't we be left to our own thoughts and leave the public mourning to those whom it has actually affected? I'm sorry if it upsets you but I find it totally unnecessary. And I write that as someone who had a mate at that match on that day.

100% . Friday is about us topping the league

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
You obviously dont travel on the train then do you if you think its the pushing to get on a train! The eats are all taken and everybody is squashed in! Get the train from Brighton to Falmer at around 2 o clock and have a see for yourself.

I do actually - also doesnt help as people dont move right down inside and stand blocking the doors, its more the pushing at Falmer after the match, as thats what i thought you were on about - but its another topic altogether. But again its completely different to Hillsborough.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Because it took place at Hillsborough their home

I think you'll find that there are some Nottingham Forest fans who are suffering a bit more than Sheffield Wednesday fans from that day. That said, it's not a grief fascism willy-waving contest.

Nothing has changed today, aside from a public acknowledgement of what many knew had happened. I'm glad that this acknowledgement has finally happened, and will send my thoughts out to the families on this day. I don't need to do it as part of an organised group - grief and sympathy are personal things, not contrived entities.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Hmmmm. A highly emotive day, no doubt. If those of you who consider it needs to be marked with some kind of tribute on Friday feel like starting a chant, then go right ahead. Nobody's stopping you. But equally, don't be surprised or angry if the majority don't join in. For me, it would feel a little bit like jumping on the bandwagon: the Hillsborough families have been waiting for a very long time for today, and I think it's the time to let them digest the ramifications, and be allowed a period of time to grieve or otherwise deal with it all in a manner they deem fit.

In fact, for my money, it couldn't be worse timed that we're playing Sheffield Wednesday, and I think there would be a very real prospect of any Hillsborough-related chanting being taken as something of a dig by many Wednesday fans, for whom it is, inevitably, a bit uncomfortable, (we all know it wouldn't be, but football fans don't always share the same perspective). If it were any other team- excluding Liverpool obviously- then it might just about be seen as a nice gesture, but I honestly feel it would not be appropriate against this particular opponent.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
At the end of the day (cliche I know) We want three points on Friday and that really only matters to most of us--shame but true (another cliche)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Hmmmm. A highly emotive day, no doubt. If those of you who consider it needs to be marked with some kind of tribute on Friday feel like starting a chant, then go right ahead. Nobody's stopping you. But equally, don't be surprised or angry if the majority don't join in. For me, it would feel a little bit like jumping on the bandwagon: the Hillsborough families have been waiting for a very long time for today, and I think it's the time to let them digest the ramifications, and be allowed a period of time to grieve or otherwise deal with it all in a manner they deem fit.

In fact, for my money, it couldn't be worse timed that we're playing Sheffield Wednesday, and I think there would be a very real prospect of any Hillsborough-related chanting being taken as something of a dig by many Wednesday fans, for whom it is, inevitably, a bit uncomfortable, (we all know it wouldn't be, but football fans don't always share the same perspective). If it were any other team- excluding Liverpool obviously- then it might just about be seen as a nice gesture, but I honestly feel it would not be appropriate against this particular opponent.

Spot on.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Being a community club would it be appropriate or inappropriate to show support to Liverpool fans when Sheffield Wed come to town on Fri. Given that the tragedy took place at their stadium and it will be on peoples minds and a degree of media attention?

Der no! Why? It all happened years ago, and we have now moved on.

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
I think you'll find that there are some Nottingham Forest fans who are suffering a bit more than Sheffield Wednesday fans from that day. That said, it's not a grief fascism willy-waving contest.

Nothing has changed today, aside from a public acknowledgement of what many knew had happened. I'm glad that this acknowledgement has finally happened, and will send my thoughts out to the families on this day. I don't need to do it as part of an organised group - grief and sympathy are personal things, not contrived entities.

I did not say Nottingham Forest fans were not effected or they were more or less effected than any other fans. I just said if this weekend is to mark the inquiry results in some way it should be Liverpool whose fans died or Sheff Wed whose ground was involved that make that decision.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.

I was a little surprised to find that to be the case. I have a friend who is (was) an ardent Forest fan, but has been unable to face going to watch them since being there that day. He tells me there are many others equally badly affected.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.

I was a little surprised to find that to be the case. I have a friend who is (was) an ardent Forest fan, but has been unable to face going to watch them since being there that day. He tells me there are many others equally badly affected.

magicman555

Aug 27, 2008
fuse is well and truley lit now......think the police will have alot more work to do untill this dies down. i for one am sickened.

SYPF-MURDERERS!!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
For what it's worth, I was having a nose at a Wednesday board a while ago- prior to today's events- and as I've said before, it is a sore point for some of their fans.

Let's be honest, if the name of our stadium became synonymous worldwide with a horrific tragedy, I don't think any of us would particularly welcome it. Imagine if "the Goldstone" became used to denote death and disaster, for years and years following something terrible, while all along we continued to play there and call it home. Fans want to hear good things about their clubs, not that they lied about safety certificates and didn't bother to carry out work that was supposed to have been done. Clearly, on the grand scale of things, as a group of fans they don't have a lot to be pissed off about compared to Liverpool supporters in relation to this matter, but nonetheless, it's no surprise to me that some of them are a bit defensive about it. Let's be honest, I bet there were a few big football clubs around that era who were thanking their lucky stars that the semi-final was scheduled for Hillsborough and not their own, crumbling, under-maintained stadiums.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
Yes I've been to Hillsborough, thanks. I went there to watch football though, not lay a wreath.

Don't bother laying that faux-grief emotional blackmail nonsense at me, either. I've shown my respects to the 96 innocents who died plenty of times in the aftermath of the disaster, and on anniversaries since, and I've contributed financially to the justice campaigns. I lived in Liverpool for 4 years, arriving there in September 1989, when understandably this was a very raw and emotive subject. I met a lot of people up there who I still counts as freinds, and who had been directly affected by the tradgedy. I know all about showing respect, thanks.

Interupting a completely random football match 250 miles away, 23 years later, with a minutes APPLAUSE (who are you APPLAUDING by the way?) is not showing respect. Its mawkish nonsense, designed to make you feel important or involved. Leave it alone.

Innocents............were they killed by Herod?

No one deserves to die at a football match but lets be honest thethere was probably a few racists and thieves in amongst the 96..........let's not put them all on a pedestal just because they died at a football match.

They were victims.

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill

No one deserves to die at a football match but lets be honest thethere was probably a few racists and thieves in amongst the 96..........let's not put them all on a pedestal just because they died at a football match.

They were victims.

You have to be kidding, you want to call the dead names now, why because they came from Liverpool? What a ridiculous thing to say.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

They were victims.

Not funny - if that was your intention.

They were innocents, in that they were innocent of the things they were accused of at the time - of contributing to the events that led to their own deaths.

Some were very young kids. Innocents by anyone's standards.

Really poor post.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here