Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How HAPPY are you with this transfer window?

How HAPPY are you with this transfer window?

• Total voters

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
2 out of 10.

Madness to loan out all of Andone, Zeqiri, and Sima. Madness to sell Tau with those 3 loans happening.

It'll go down to 1 out of 10 if Locadia gets sold.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Mission complete - the hilariously bloated squad is now on a sane level which should help everyone at the club - training sessions will be more normal, each player can get more individual coaching, not a lot of unhappy faces lurking around, Tony Bloom probably wont have to take £66m out of his wallet to cover deficits... lots of problems have been solved.

Happy with the signings and (even more so) keeping Bissouma, never thought it would happen.

Would have liked to see another attacking player of some sort but more out of luxuary than necessity, no one important has left.

Verdict: not very exciting but pretty good.

I think there's a lot to this but I don't agree completely. The window was more about outs than ins and keeping Biss and trimming out the likes of Ali J is decent.

Yes, we HAD to trim the wage bill - job done. Yes, we needed to signa defender to replace White and a full back was more needed than another centre back - and we've signed a really good one. And I personally like Maupay, think he's a confidence player (on 2 goals in three games), think he brings a lot to the way Potter plays and think we won't get much better for £20 million. But we could have got DIFFERENT.

The squad is crying out for pace all over and height up front. A quick "attacking option" and a proper target man are really needed because at the moment we say two things. Firstly we will be playing tippy tappy slow build up and will only ever score headers from set pieces. Secondly we will be starting with one up front or even a false nine. EVERY game. Sending Connolly out on loan in addition or even selling him and bringing in these two types of additional options would have been my preference. But it would have been expensive, difficult and risky. I acknowledge that.

I've gone FIVE.

Ethelwulf

Apr 6, 2020
West Worthing
I think there's a lot to this but I don't agree completely. The window was more about outs than ins and keeping Biss and trimming out the likes of Ali J is decent.

Yes, we HAD to trim the wage bill - job done. Yes, we needed to signa defender to replace White and a full back was more needed than another centre back - and we've signed a really good one. And I personally like Maupay, think he's a confidence player (on 2 goals in three games), think he brings a lot to the way Potter plays and think we won't get much better for £20 million. But we could have got DIFFERENT.

The squad is crying out for pace all over and height up front. A quick "attacking option" and a proper target man are really needed because at the moment we say two things. Firstly we will be playing tippy tappy slow build up and will only ever score headers from set pieces. Secondly we will be starting with one up front or even a false nine. EVERY game. Sending Connolly out on loan in addition or even selling him and bringing in these two types of additional options would have been my preference. But it would have been expensive, difficult and risky. I acknowledge that.

I've gone FIVE/

You have scared off Vagabond :clap2::clap2::clap2:

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Gutted and sad that we will only have Maupay (who I like but was very poor last year) and an injury probe Welbeck up front. A signing would have upped their games I'm sure. Trossard and Maccillster don't have the pace or the power to score enough goals. Connolly is nowhere near good enough. He's a shadow of the player we saw make his debut.

Sad really as a striker could have seen us really go for top half imo. Now it seems the best we can hope for is a better points total and a higher finish which I still think will happen. Just would have liked to have dared to dream higher.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
3 - I’m afraid.

Disappointed with the loaning out of Ostigard, Sima and Zeqiri (given where we find ourselves cover wise).

Pleased with the purchases we have made particularly Sima and Cucurella, Mwepu remains to be seen and really not sure on Ajax keeper. Early days of course.

Had we signed Nunez I think it would have been nearer a 9, but the good news is Sima looks to be exactly what we need.

It does put a lot of pressure on Maupay and to a certain extent Potter, not from a job perspective, but from a producing something with what could be a limited resource.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Would have been great to get another striker in, but as we all know, decent Premier League-ready strikers are like hen's teeth, unless you have pockets much deeper than ours. If you look around the EPL, how many teams have brought in a striker? I had a look at the list for my own benefit mainly:

Man City - shipped out Aguero, not replaced
Man Utd - Ronaldo (so far out of our league it's not worth thinking about!)
Liverpool - no
Chelsea - Lukaku (just under £100m!!)
Leicester - Daka (very decent signing - but too good a player to come to us)
Spurs - No
West Ham - No
Arsenal - No (spent a fortune on midfield and defence)
Everton - No (not sure if Demarai Gray counts)
Villa - Ings (great signing, but wages way out of our league), plus Bailey
Leeds - no (unless you count Dan James - 6 goals in 50 appearances)
Wolves - Hwang (but only a loan)
Southampton - Armstrong (but lost Ings)
Burnley - No (but seem to have bought half a dozen defenders!)
Newcastle - Munoz (but only a loan - untried in EPL)
Watford - Dennis (looks promising, but no EPL experience)
Palace - No (but may get Edouard...who most on here think is crap!)
Brentford - No
Norwich - Sargent (no EPL experience...11 goals in 70 games in Bundesliga)

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
We appear to have made bids for Gonzalez & Nunez which says to me that our transfer policy is to identify and attract quality upgrades on those we currently have. I wanted Daka but he went to Leicester for £22m, I think he could be a fantastic signing

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I find it is easier to stay positive if you assume Potter wants to start with just one striker and two men to run the channels.

We have a stack of good midfielders and it would be interesting to see whether Moder or Gross could play in a slightly more advanced role.

I am excited by the Cucurella signing, he looks exactly the sort of high energy, high work rate player we need to energise the team and the prospect of him and Lamptey flying down the wings is very exciting. Those two should certainly help to get the goal production up from midfield, with the likes of MacAllister, Mwepu and Moder good at making runs into the box.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Would have been great to get another striker in, but as we all know, decent Premier League-ready strikers are like hen's teeth, unless you have pockets much deeper than ours. If you look around the EPL, how many teams have brought in a striker? I had a look at the list for my own benefit mainly:

Liverpool - no
Spurs - No
West Ham - No
Brentford - No

Nice summary and interesting list. And yet there are still plenty on here in a state of perpetual bemusement and entitlement that we haven't landed a guaranteed 15+ goals a season striker.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
Gutted and sad that we will only have Maupay (who I like but was very poor last year) and an injury probe Welbeck up front. A signing would have upped their games I'm sure. Trossard and Maccillster don't have the pace or the power to score enough goals. Connolly is nowhere near good enough. He's a shadow of the player we saw make his debut.

Sad really as a striker could have seen us really go for top half imo. Now it seems the best we can hope for is a better points total and a higher finish which I still think will happen. Just would have liked to have dared to dream higher.

Good summary, feel we have blown a mid table finish band will be looking over our shoulder again

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
As it stands a 4.

Managed to keep hold of Bissouma and got a good price for White who wasn't key.

Cucurella looks like he will add more balance and options.

However we have again failed to strengthen the area that most needed strengthening and now have less cover than before.

The failure to strengthen the area where its been needed for sometime could mean we pay the ultimate price.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Liverpool - no
Spurs - No
West Ham - No
Brentford - No

How many needed to?

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Happy with the incomings and obviously delighted to keep Biss, but the lack of forwards is hugely disappointing. Not only that, but the fact we have chosen to keep a serial underperformer who seems to have attitude problems, signed a promising striker and shipped him out, shipped out Zeqiri without even giving him a go and let Andone go without a replacement seems insane. I'm sure we will still be fine to stay up but we just don't have the firepower to trouble the top 10. That's all that's holding us back imo.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
I like the signings of Cucurella, Sima.

Disappointed at the loans out of

Swiss Andy
Sima
Reda Khadra

But what do we know we are supporters and not coaches or managers. Our opinion is irrelevant in the grand scheme of it all.

Almost forgot the biggest plus.......if we keep Yves Bissouma :clap2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here