Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If Ashley Barnes leaves how will he be remembered?

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
As a great bit of business.

Bought for what? 60 grand? Sold on for a fee more than ten times that. A key part of the side that walked to the league 1 title. A hard working player who made the most of his abilities and who improved continuously throughout his time with us. Played effectively in a number of positions and never seemed to complain about it. A really valuable squad member for a top six championship team.

Good player, Ashley Barnes.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
As a striker who would have walked into any Albion side of the last 20 years (assuming 2 up front). He's done a great job overall - a bit more clinical and he'd be top class.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
As a beautiful, beautiful man and a very considerate lover.

Well we are all entitled to our own views. Yes, I thought him beautiful also, but a rather rough and selfish lover. But perhaps I didn't do it for him. :blush:
On the footy side however I only have good things to say. Less than average skills for a top Championship team, but lots of guts and tireless worker for the cause. Always felt he was doing his best. Good luck to him wherever he goes. :salute:

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
Very good player at this level, who will prove difficult to replace.

His movement in terms of finding space is first class.
Defensively probably best forward we've had for years. (Murray was also good defensively at set-pieces, but rarely chased back for the team).
Delivery from out wide was very good.
Flexibility I terms of playing out of position.
Scored a number of goals as well.

His finishing wasn't always the best and temperament at times was poor, but some of that is borne out of pure desire to win for our club as well as a bit of the 'red mist'.

The other general criticism was his touch, was has actually improved since Withdean and continues to get better.

Potentially this is a big loss, depending on what he gets replaced with.

A very good summery

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I think some people are looking back with rose tinted specs. I will be sad to see him go as I have said on other threads, he works hard and holds the ball up well. But he has still been anonymous in a fair few games in this division. I don't think he has the chance conversion rate to play at a higher level.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
I think some people are looking back with rose tinted specs. I will be sad to see him go as I have said on other threads, he works hard and holds the ball up well. But he has still been anonymous in a fair few games in this division. I don't think he has the chance conversion rate to play at a higher level.

Havent most players been anonymous in games in their careers ?

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
A solid player who you know will put in a very good shift. Not the most clinical finisher in the league but can score goals and feels like the kind of player then could really shine in a slightly different set up, hope I am wrong though. Personally, I will miss him. As someone mentioned, with Barnes and Bridcutt both possibly going, only 3 regular outfield players are still at the club with age not on their side. It's a shame that that squad could not have stayed together longer, but I suppose that is football of the modern age.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
One of my favourite Albion players of the last 10 years. 100% effort every time he plays, often with jeers and abuse directed at him until recently.

A player who has improved massively year on year, a sad loss, he will do well wherever he goes. Might even get to be a crowd favourite.

This.

Always gave 100%, cost relatively little and was not one of the higher paid players, but weighed in with goals and happy to contribute in midfield battles when required. Tenacious and never intimidated by opponents. Liked by the quiet majority of Albion fans, slagged off by a noisy minority many of whom were not regulars at Withdean and who did not appreciate his total contribution to the Albion's ascent.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
A really good team player, who can defend, play on the left, hold the ball up, and score.

My claim to fame is that I made up his chant.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Like a young roman soldier striding out across the known world brave,hopeful,athletic,searching for adventure and love as he marches north and north again, perpetually falling over, looking aghast and shouting "Ref", right arm aloft. :moo:

Edited for you

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here