Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] If Graham Potter is re-appointed...

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
We were still organically growing with De Zerbi even in the second season. To finish within a point of top 10, with all the context (injuries, fixture congestion, fatigue from Europe) which you seem to be conviniently omitting here, was still a very good achievement. Theres no doubt even without his exact backing that he wanted, he would have achieved as much as potter ever did had he have stayed. Let’s not act like we’ve regressed from the system we had before. The good old potter days were enjoyable sometimes, by my god the good old De Zerbi days were Euphoric, something that I could never say was during a Potter day.
Come Jack. That’s just not true is it?

These were pure euphoria:

Potter is long term relationship material where the joy and excitement went up and down. Where as RDZ was a breathtaking affair whilst the love and lust lasted (up until Roma at home I believe).

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
We were still organically growing with De Zerbi even in the second season. To finish within a point of top 10, with all the context (injuries, fixture congestion, fatigue from Europe) which you seem to be conviniently omitting here, was still a very good achievement. Theres no doubt even without his exact backing that he wanted, he would have achieved as much as potter ever did had he have stayed. Let’s not act like we’ve regressed from the system we had before. The good old potter days were enjoyable sometimes, by my god the good old De Zerbi days were Euphoric, something that I could never say was during a Potter day.
Yup, the team was still organically growing over the last season, though that might not have been the case if we had the six additional players people screamed for, since players like Hinshelwood, Baleba, Buonanotte, Enciso and Adingra probably had seen much less game time if we brought in the "backups for RB and LB" people cried about, the two "almost as good as Alexis & Caicedo"-players and the two wingers people wanted when March got injured and Adingra went to the African Cup.

Roberto don't like the way we work and said it loudly every week, and those two things means he's gone (forever).

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Yup, the team was still organically growing over the last season, though that might not have been the case if we had the six additional players people screamed for, since players like Hinshelwood, Baleba, Buonanotte, Enciso and Adingra probably had seen much less game time if we brought in the "backups for RB and LB" people cried about, the two "almost as good as Alexis & Caicedo"-players and the two wingers people wanted when March got injured and Adingra went to the African Cup.

Roberto don't like the way we work and said it loudly every week, and those two things means he's gone (forever).
I’m sorry but with all due respect that’s bllx

Last edited:

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Come Jack. That’s just not true is it?

These were pure euphoria:

Potter is long term relationship material where the joy and excitement went up and down. Where as RDZ was a breathtaking affair whilst the love and lust lasted (up until Roma at home I believe).

The 4-0 against United was indeed euphoric, that’s fair, I think De Zerbi was poor after Roma, for lots of contextual reasons. For those two examples in 3 years as coach, I can think of at least 5 or 6 times in a shorter time frame for RDZ. Graham Potter’s return after 2 years of my greatest albion supporting years does not exactly enthuse me.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011

He didn’t say it every week, we had him for almost 2 years, which you are conveniently forgetting, because you weren’t here, because Potter wasn’t. In the short time RDZ was here, he made more of impact on us as a football club than Potter was his entire time, and for that reason I’ll always hold him in far higher esteem than Potter. There’s at least two RDZ murals in the city, there will never be a Graham Potter mural in the city of Brighton and Hove, and that is telling.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The 4-0 against United was indeed euphoric, that’s fair, I think De Zerbi was poor after Roma, for lots of contextual reasons. For those two examples in 3 years as coach, I can think of at least 5 or 6 times in a shorter time frame for RDZ. Graham Potter’s return after 2 years of my greatest albion supporting years does not exactly enthuse me.
The return of Potter does not enthuse, energise or bring me excitement either. In fact, the only way I can think positively about it is comparing him with some of the bookies choices like Cooper, Martin and Rosenior or watching the clips I posted above.

And I agree, there were far, far more instances of euphoria in RDZ’s 18 months or so than Potter’s 3 and a bit years.

However, I’ve always wondered what a Potter side would look like with a natural goal scorer. One like Ferguson or Pedro. I had thought that this was something we’d never find out at our club but Naylor’s ‘consideration’ article seems to have moved the dial back to ‘possible’ a little.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Just a few months earlier, the same Andy Naylor was all but calling time on Solly's Albion career, as he was so under-utilised under Potter....

"From a new deal in August to bit-part player – what’s going wrong for Solly March?"​
"Solly March’s nine-year career at first-team level with Brighton & Hove Albion is in danger of drifting towards a nondescript conclusion."​
"March is on course for his least effective season this time around, making only nine starts so far, with no goals and one assist."​
"He has become a peripheral figure, a bit-part player who features as a substitute more often than in the starting line-up."​
"He has not achieved the same scale of cult worship with supporters as Dunk, who is likely to last longer at the club, as well.​
Both have been fantastic servants, but the nagging frustration about March is that he may never quite reach his full potential."​
Solly March did subsequently reach his full potential, or certainly got a lot closer to it, once Graham Potter f***ed off and Roberto De Zerbi got his hands on him.
Solly March was great all along.

His increase in goals, just like the early goal form of Adingra this season, is a 100% tied to the amount of attention the world class left wing of Pervis and Mitoma gets, and the amount of space that opens up to anyone on the right wing. Solly has not scored a single goal for RDZ without Mitoma on the pitch. Its a lot easier to score goals as RW when the opponent LB is playing CB because three men are trying to stop Mitoma.

Roberto's ego trip to be "the one who made Solly a hero", allowing him to take a penalty against United in the semi only months after missing the deciding one against Charlton... That Roberto turned Solly into some kind of ice cold killer was an urban myth both his ego and the fans of his ego decided to accept as true.

It was costly. I look forward to see our next manager treat Solly for who he is and not as some sort of social experiment to boost some egos.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
The return of Potter does not enthuse, energise or bring me excitement either. In fact, the only way I can think positively about it is comparing him with some of the bookies choices like Cooper, Martin and Rosenior or watching the clips I posted above.

And I agree, there were far, far more instances of euphoria in RDZ’s 18 months or so than Potter’s 3 and a bit years.

However, I’ve always wondered what a Potter side would look like with a natural goal scorer. One like Ferguson or Pedro. I had thought that this was something we’d never find out at our club but Naylor’s ‘consideration’ article seems to have moved the dial back to ‘possible’ a little.
I think more than just the personal reasons that I don’t really like the reappointment, it’s all a bit depressing that we’ve gone from the idea of consistent European football, to well we should appoint Potter because he’s not as bad as Rosenior. I also think there is something about his coaching that means that he can’t get the most out of his strikers, don’t know what it is, but it’s a running theme with his clubs, that’s why I think it would be a poor appointment, he doesn’t give the attackers confidence for whatever reasons, and atm they are our best assets, when fully fit. It’s not all solely, “I don’t want potter back because he’s a wanker“ theres theory as to why I think this will go wrong, or fail to meet expectations, quickly.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
If Potter really was the target, he wanted to come etc - then it’d be all sorted by now surely. One senses this debate is a bit moot.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Roberto's ego trip to be "the one who made Solly a hero", allowing him to take a penalty against United in the semi only months after missing the deciding one against Charlton... That Roberto turned Solly into some kind of ice cold killer was an urban myth both his ego and the fans of his ego decided to accept as true.
Sorry are you not familiar with the concept of sudden death in a penalty shootout. Players volunteer after the 5th go, who should have taken penalty before March? You are rewriting history on RDZ, which is fast becoming quickly even more deranged than before. Getting us European football means that he rightly deserves all our respect, and will always have that.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Conspiracy theory.

But this tactical decision was not RDZ but pure luck, the problem is, that people who want potter back are refusing to let RDZ take credit for anything, and it was all luck. Potter was a good manager, but failed to get us to top gear, RDZ built upon that. March got given more confidence by RDZ, and that improved his finishing that much is clear, his finishing was diabolical under potter, the Leeds game just before he left I remember a superb chance fluffed by him.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
If Potter really was the target, he wanted to come etc - then it’d be all sorted by now surely. One senses this debate is a bit moot.
I think Naylor is 100% in the ‘McKenna was the target’ camp judging by his article.

Now that Potter is back from holiday and McKenna’s head is back at Ipswich, it’s not unreasonable to imagine he is being considered.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Sorry are you not familiar with the concept of sudden death in a penalty shootout. Players volunteer after the 5th go, who should have taken penalty before March? You are rewriting history on RDZ, which is fast becoming quickly even more deranged than before. Getting us European football means that he rightly deserves all our respect, and will always have that.
Fair enough on the penalties, will correct my history archive accordingly. As I remembered it, Solly missed a penalty against Charlton and then took the 5th against United. But now when you say it, I do remember it took a while and that I was thinking none of the keepers would ever make a save.

As for respecting Roberto, you do that. But he did not respect Tony and the club, so he's gone now. Time to move on.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Fair enough on the penalties, will correct my history archive accordingly. As I remembered it, Solly missed a penalty against Charlton and then took the 5th against United. But now when you say it, I do remember it took a while and that I was thinking none of the keepers would ever make a save.

As for respecting Roberto, you do that. But he did not respect Tony and the club, so he's gone now. Time to move on.
I’m not Tony Bloom, and as much as what Bloom has done is amazing and we owe him a lot of credit, Tony Bloom is not the club. Graham Potter has been gone for two years, do you not think it’s time to also, move on?

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
I’m not Tony Bloom, and as much as what Bloom has done is amazing and we owe him a lot of credit, Tony Bloom is not the club. Graham Potter has been gone for two years, do you not think it’s time to also, move on?
I think its time to move on, yes. Preferably with Graham Potter as I believe he is probably the best candidate. But there's plenty of good managers out there - I expect someone non-Potter, but I think at some point in the future its more likely than not that Potter will coach Brighton again.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
There is a lot of rewriting of history on this thread. Potter was for the most part a success. We all felt worried when he left. That doesn’t suggest to me he was already hated. Quite the opposite.

I loathed the way he left and took everyone with him, especially Bruno and Roberts, and that is reason enough to not want him back, but let’s not pretend he was some sort of rubbish manager. RDZ was passion and glory and I loved him, but Potter had a plan and was slowly, yes very slowly, evolving the team.

RDZ has gone and we need to get over it. Recruiting someone with his passion will be very difficult and if the best coach available (and willing to come) is Potter then I’d get behind that.

Ps) I don’t think the snake would come back anyway by the way.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I think its time to move on, yes. Preferably with Graham Potter as I believe he is probably the best candidate. But there's plenty of good managers out there - I expect someone non-Potter, but I think at some point in the future its more likely than not that Potter will coach Brighton again.
This is Brighton & Hove Albion football club, not the cult of Graham Potter which is all this post reads as. I think it was probably right for RDZ to leave, he had his flaws, and so did Potter, people who want Potter back are refusing to see any of his flaws, for some kind of cult like status. Where all he does is play possession based football which doesn’t score many goals, like most of the bottom half of the premier league does now.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
RDZ has gone and we need to get over it. Recruiting someone with his passion will be very difficult and if the best coach available (and willing to come) is Potter then I’d get behind that.
So essentially nobody wants potter, we all wanted a better calibre of coach, but we are going to get potter so we all need to get on with it. With all respect that is a pretty boring state of affairs, how ambitious.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Has our retained list been announced?
There are no other* players who have been regular members of our first-team squad this season who are out of contract this summer.
*By which I mean, those that were - Lallana, Milner and Welbeck - have already been handled.

As for the rest of the professional squad (and scholars) - the club never even published the released/retained list last season, so who knows if they will bother this time around.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here