Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] If Graham Potter is re-appointed...

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
He's probably made a minimum £10m after tax, for a few months work, without having to uproot his family.
He's been able to take a two year career break on huge money, and please himself.

I can't see any world where staying with us would be considered a better option.
For a man with no soul or conscience, maybe!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Mental health and quality of life. He wasn’t on a minimum wage at Brighton.
I'd imagine that being financially secure for life in your mid 40s and being able to wait for the right opportunity to come along whilst picking and choosing the occasional bit of punditry would be a good quality life, to be honest.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I'd imagine that being financially secure for life in your mid 40s and being able to wait for the right opportunity to come along whilst picking and choosing the occasional bit of punditry would be a good quality life, to be honest.
Sounds like the equivalent of winning the lottery to me.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
sure - but I would say that taking 2 years off work on more money - would be considerably better for his quality of life and mental health.
Or are you agreeing with me??
You’re failing to add everything else that happened before that. Including the person in question saying his mental health was being affected by it all. But sure going through the meat grinder, publicly, and getting rinsed out the other end with a lot of cash and time on your hand isn’t something I’d view as a positive experience for me or my family.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Sounds like the equivalent of winning the lottery to me.
Yes. Although, there are some people for whom winning the lottery is not a good thing and they end up pissing it all away on drink, drugs, cars, etc. I'm willing however to predict that Potter's 10m is tucked away in a diversified porfolio of investments and earning him a very tidy passive income.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I'm curious that he states it was the right opportunity for him but then bemoans the owners spending 300m on players. Everyone else knew it was the wrong club for him, I'm just surprised he couldn't (and apparently still can't) see it.
To be fair to Potter, he probably just believed Boehley when he said that the old ways went with the old owner and that things would be different. It wasn't as obvious at that point that the bloke had more money than braincells, but Chelsea gonna Chelsea.

Graham's mum should probably have told her little boy the story of the scorpion asking the frog for a ride across the river, or even better, introduced him to Northern Soul:

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Not sure if already posted but I found this interview with him pretty interesting. Wouldn't be hugely surprised to see him rock up at West Ham in the next few months. Every chance the Leicester job he was previously linked with could come up again, along with Everton, maybe Wolves/Saints?

Read it this morning, I wonder if he’d been told he isn’t getting the England job and is now touting himself in the press. Be interesting to see if he starts turning up to do media work in the interim whilst being out of the limelight for 18 months

Withdean South Stand

Mar 2, 2014
It was the right move at the right time for him, it seemed ideally suited to him but then he found out that Boehly actually wasn't so much about the long term and wanted a new manager brought in. Or Potter just wasn't strong enough to put his foot down, or the conditions weren't right for him to do so at that time. Whatever happened - he wasn't wrong for taking the job. I don't particularly like him and I never want to see him back at the Albion, other than bringing whatever team he is managing and getting a pasting, but the truth was it was absolutely the right thing for him to do at the time he made the jump. And PBOBE made it clear that Chelsea behaved properly when approaching us for him, so I have no animosity about it at all. Other than taking Bruno too, that hurt (but we don't need to re-litigate that either!).

PlayMoran

May 19, 2023
It's important that he gets his next move right after the Chelsea fiasco.

West Ham can be a toxic environment also. I'd avoid that job if it becomes available.

I actually think Southampton would suit him. They have some talented young players he could work with. But relegation is very much a possibility.

I do wonder if INEOS would take a chance on him at United. Ratcliffe and Ashworth like British.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Read it this morning, I wonder if he’d been told he isn’t getting the England job and is now touting himself in the press. Be interesting to see if he starts turning up to do media work in the interim whilst being out of the limelight for 18 months
I thought it was rather obvious who's getting the England job the moment Ashley Cole left his role at Brum a couple of weeks back for a full time one with The FA. Carsley's going nowhere.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've said it before, Potter would be a disaster as England manager. His methods take a long time to bed in, as we saw here. He was never given the chance (or likely to) to put those methods in place at Chelsea, where only immediate success is acceptable. It would be the same with England.

He'll rock up at a middling PL club when the panic-season arrives in November / December and the sackings begin. If he fancies it, being as he'll never actually have to work another day in his life.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here