Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

if you were england coach...

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
i think when owen is fit and in form more importantly, he should be there, but you cant have him there by himself. so the team would need a 4-4-2 i feel for it to be able to work.

goalkeeper (duno who our best is)

Richards...Ferds...Terry/woodgate...A Cole

J Cole/Bentley...Gerrard...Barry/Hargreaves...A Young

Rooney...Owen.

Only thing is, the team like this imo doesnt look as strong as it would as a 4-2-1-2-1 formation without owen.

Also got to remember other fringe players who i think will be big for england in the future... Like Bentley, Walcott, Elphic :) etc.

In a strange way i think our squad is too strong and we're too spoilt for choice.

Skills

Aug 4, 2008
Brighton
we need to stick with 4-4-2, that's all we know.

Kirkland
Richards Ferdinand Terry A.Cole
Beckham Gerrard Barry J.Cole
Agbonlahor Rooney

Sorry for cut'n'paste job, but realised this should really be in this thread...

FWIW I would be looking forward; pick a team that has enough quality to (hopefully) get us through the qualifiers, and build so that by 2010 and 2012, they have enough international experience to compete.

Carson in goal, as I can't see another viable option. Maybe Kirkland, but he's never impressed me that much, and Hart doesn't have enough first team experience yet. The back four picks itself (and I've left out Richards as he's playing CB for Man City, and that's his long term position. I would have him instead of Terry if he can find some form, but Terry won't be dropped). Neville is only just coming back from injury; if he can stay fit, get him in for Brown. Midfield, Gerrard and Lampard have been shit for far FAR too long. Gerrard would be on the bench, if he comes on and looks hungry can play himself back into contention. Pace and skill on the wings, with Walcott and Bentley in reserve, both capable of offering something a bit different. Up front is tricky, we are very weak there. I would play Rooney, but he has to play as a striker, dropping deep occasionally to pick up the ball; however never behind the midfield. He should be on the opposition centre back most of the time. Alongside him, if Owen can get fit then maybe, but at the moment I think Ashton. Between them they are capable of getting goals; not a huge number, but enough. With pace and incision down the wings I would expect the wingers to weigh in with say 3 between them a season anyway. In reserve you have Agbonlahor and Crouch, again two players offering something different and giving us the ability to change the game off the bench.

Carson
Brown Ferdinand Terry Cole
Cole Hargreaves Barry Young
Rooney Ashton

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton
Firstly I wouldn't have James. I wouldn't have Beckham. They need to use the team that if qualified, will be at their peak for the 2010 world cup.

I would also play Lampard in a more attacking central role and have Gerrard in behind. Gerrard last year was exceptional in his role where he tracked back to help the defence often.

Robinson

Cole Lampard Gerrard Downing

Rooney Owen

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
we need to stick with 4-4-2, that's all we know.

Kirkland
Richards Ferdinand Terry A.Cole
Beckham Gerrard Barry J.Cole
Agbonlahor Rooney

Not really Man Utd, Chelsea and Liverpool play variations of a 4-3-3

Firstly I wouldn't have James. I wouldn't have Beckham. They need to use the team that if qualified, will be at their peak for the 2010 world cup.

I would also play Lampard in a more attacking central role and have Gerrard in behind. Gerrard last year was exceptional in his role where he tracked back to help the defence often.

Robinson

Cole Lampard Gerrard Downing

Rooney Owen

You're seriously suggesting sticking with Lampard and Gerrard in centre midfield? Even though they've never worked together, in any system, in over 4 years of playing together for England?

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
gerrard and lamps cant play together and they've proved they cant. it would be great if they could, but manager after manager after manager have tried to make it work and still, like 4 years later it hasnt happened.

as for formation... the top clubs in england with the exception of arsenal maybe, play a variation of 4-3-3. I think this is the ideal formation for the players we have.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Pretty much that, but id have barry instead of carrick, as i think he covers more ground than carrick.
Barry has done really well pver the past year or so since (finally) getting his chance, dropping him was one of a couple of things that would (or should) actually be difficult. But I think Hargreaves and Carrick are each better, Barry is a better runner and tackler than Carrick, but not as good as Hargreaves, and better at just keeping the game ticking over, moving the ball around, then Hargreaves but not as good as Carrick. Which is why I would choose those two over him. I see them potentially as a similar midfield pair to Gattuso and Pirlo have been for Italy and Milan, obviously Carrick is not as good as Pirlo, but in principle. With Gerrard playing in front of them, freed from responsibility in midfield and given license to roam, bring the ball forward and support attacks, that is what he does best. I also think our defence needs more protection than we've given it, I actually think we are quite strong in this area and many teams would love to have the options we do at the back, and I mean good ones not just Zambia or Wales etc. But how many international teams play WITHOUT at least once midfielder shielding the defence? I think this is the area we struggle in, we're too flat and static - we end up with two lines and any half decent international side will exploit that space. It's why we often seem to give away a lot of freekicks in out final third, and where both the goals came from on Wednesday.

The other problem areas are in goal - I never thought James was as bad as all that when he was thought of as some kind of goalkeeping Titus Bramble, a joke figure, but he is still not good enough to be unassailably our number one. I wonder what Green has to do to get a chance? I like the look of Hart but I'm not sure we should throw him in the deep end just yet, Foster needs to play football, Kirkland I think is just average, Carson too (he's probably the worst of the crop imo), Robinson needs to prove himself again at Blackburn (which I think he could well do). But for now the man in form who hasn't been given a chance is Rob Green.

The final problem is up front - Rooney seems to have totally lost his way, he has not progressed as everyone hoped, I think a lot of it is down to Manchester United who started the whole idea of using him in wider and deeper positions. He is too willing for his own good at times, retreating into his own half at times to pick up the ball. Some of this will be frustration too, at the lack of service he gets if he stays forward (mainly useless diaganol balls from Beckham 35 yards away), hopefully with the right team that would be less of a factor. A few people suggest dropping Rooney but despite poor form for England I still wouldn't be willing to do that - he is still trying (perhaps too much) and he is still our most talented player. Getting the best out of him is key. The idea is to create an interchangeable attacking trio who are all exciting, creative, and can take people on - Ashley Young I think definitely fits the bill and should have been given more of a chance, and I cannot understand why anyone would not play Joe Cole. Ideally Rooney is a number 10, playing off a front man but I think this could also work for him, and I don't know who you could play him off anyway (and who you'd drop for another striker) I like Ashton a lot but the lack of anyone going in behind the defence would worry me, Owen is barely ever fit, Walcott and Agbonlahor aren't the finished product, the rest are rubbish.

I think it could work very well, but then I don't get paid £6m per annum and pick Dacid Beckham. :thud:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
I think this is the area we struggle in, we're too flat and static - we end up with two lines and any half decent international side will exploit that space. It's why we often seem to give away a lot of freekicks in out final third, and where both the goals came from on Wednesday.

I agree but rather than 2 lines I think we have one (the defence) and then a mess in front of it which is why we give away a lot of free kicks in our final third. No protection for the defence and players like Beckham, Gerrard and Rooney are out of position and rushing arond making rash tackles when they have lost the possession.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Other international teams must look at us and piss themselves when they see the likes of Beckham, Gerrard and Rooney rushing around all out of position while Lampard stands in the middle wondering what the f*** is going on. I imagine their team talk is 'as long as you stick to the system we carve them open no problem'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here