Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] If you were Graham Potter and you were offered the Chelsea job would you take it?

If you were Graham Potter and you were offered the Chelsea job would you take it?

• Yes, all day long

Votes: 131 35.9%
  • No, I'm staying put for now

Votes: 234 64.1%

• Total voters

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
If I take off Albion tinted glasses then it's attractive. It's commutable so family can stay put, it'll be a load more money, the new owner may be less sack-happy than the last one, more chance of trophies.

But...he seems to be enjoying life, enjoying football, enjoying the club. loving the team. He'll know this is a once in a lifetime journey and I'd be surprised if he doesn't want to see out this season at least and see how far he can take it. I don't think I'd bin all that for Chelsea. He's linked with literally every top job that comes up, it's not like this is a one and only chance that'll never happen again. But if he takes it then he's probably ruling himself out of other more attractive top jobs (City, Liverpool for example).

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Just reading the bbc report
It is also understood that Chelsea will make a swift appointment and among the bookmakers' favourites to take over are Brighton manager Graham Potter, former Spurs and PSG boss Mauricio Pochettino, former Real Madrid manager Zinedine Zidane and current Leicester boss Brendan Rodgers.

:lol: :lol:

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
TB has the funds to keep GP if he wants to.

If you think GP is driven by the money you haven’t been paying attention to what matters to him. He’ll go because he thinks it’s a project which he can garner more success in the longer term. An extra 50k a week or whatever wouldn’t keep him here if he comes to that conclusion.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I wouldn't take the job.
The Chelsea squad is some distance behind Manchester City and Liverpool and have little chance of winning the league. Also with PSG and Madrid have little chance of winning the CL. I think the new Chelsea owners will be very much in the Abramovich mould and a sacking will be handed out at the end of the season if the PL or CL is not won.
So is another £4m for that period worth moving for. Dome will no doubt say yes, but with a reported current £2.2m a year, I probably have enough wealth already,

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
If you think GP is driven by the money you haven’t been paying attention to what matters to him. He’ll go because he thinks it’s a project which he can garner more success in the longer term. An extra 50k a week or whatever wouldn’t keep him here if he comes to that conclusion.

I understand that, but an improved Contract would recognise just what he’s achieved and put him on a par with the other leading managers.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
GP is in a unique situation here at the Albion.
He has a top notch chairman and chief exec, state of the art facilities, modest expectations that have allowed him the time to build a team and a squad playing football the way he wants them to, a hugely talented bunch of players brought to their current place by an intelligent mix of brilliant coaching, top class scouting and recruitment, and a team spirit that has been forged in adversity (ie battling relegation) and is now focused firmly upwards. We are now being held up as a 'model club' with a structure and system the envy of Europe.
I get that he's ambitious and wants to coach at the highest level.
I appreciate that a serious offer from the likes of Chelsea would be very tempting and offer a quick route to Champions League football.
But I think he likes to finish a project, and only looks to move for the next challenge when he's gone as far as he can.
I don't think he's finished with us. I don't think we've gone as far as we can.
And I think GP's values are different to many managers.
So I think he'll stay put and see if he can get us up around the top six - at least this season, if not one more.
Here's hoping :albion2:

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
It would be hilarious if GP turned down the job because secretly he thinks Cucu is a bit of a knob and doesn't want to coach him again.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Yes of course he'd go. He's taken us as far as we are likely to go and will want to play with the best. Won't worry about being sacked as he will think he will do so well they'll not need to get rid. Money and trappings for him and his family, security for the future.

There's some big egos at Chelsea. They got a few managers fired.

And now Aubameyang. Good luck with him!

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
GP is in a unique situation here at the Albion.
He has a top notch chairman and chief exec, state of the art facilities, modest expectations that have allowed him the time to build a team and a squad playing football the way he wants them to, a hugely talented bunch of players brought to their current place by an intelligent mix of brilliant coaching, top class scouting and recruitment, and a team spirit that has been forged in adversity (ie battling relegation) and is now focused firmly upwards. We are now being held up as a 'model club' with a structure and system the envy of Europe.
I get that he's ambitious and wants to coach at the highest level.
I appreciate that a serious offer from the likes of Chelsea would be very tempting and offer a quick route to Champions League football.
But I think he likes to finish a project, and only looks to move for the next challenge when he's gone as far as he can.
I don't think he's finished with us. I don't think we've gone as far as we can.
And I think GP's values are different to many managers.
So I think he'll stay put and see if he can get us up around the top six - at least this season, if not one more.
Here's hoping :albion2:

Another 3 years onto his contract and double his salary. He's worth 4m a year imho.

A new lucrative long term contract from us may well be our best hope. That would be tempting as its job security in a city he loves.

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
New owner who apparently is a fan of stability, access to a level of polished talent that perhaps has to be created rather than bought at Brighton and a significant increase in wages. If GP feels the project is right, then he’ll consider it.

I still think that at Chelsea he’ll suffer either a fan revolt or a dressing room revolt from players who don’t want to adapt their game, but I can see the attraction.

The alternative (to stay) is rewarding from a seeing the project grow perspective, but it’s “more of the same” and I can see how a change of scenery and a chance to pit yourself against new challenges holds an attraction too.

Hate to say it, but if the chairman was making all the right noises about supporting infrastructure and people, and about a willingness to tolerate periods of underperformance while the club migrated to this new way of working, then I’d probably take my chance.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Looking at the voting results on this thread, I think people are misunderstanding the question a bit. It clearly says "If you were Graham Potter and were offered the Chelsea job, would you take it?". Not "Would you personally move from Brighton to take the Chelsea job?".

It's amazing (and quite sweet really) how footballing loyalties can completely blind people's rationality. I'm not sure there's anything else that makes otherwise sensible people think like this. Politics, perhaps.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Well we don’t seem to be worrying about transport for the Palace game anymore lol

If (and that’s a big if ) he’s going for talks I can’t see anything but him going ..big sigh

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Of course I would.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
My feeling is that any club where players have any sway over the manager (as is the case at Chelsea apparently) is not in a good place. That would be a red flag to me ... but then, I'm not having an eight-figure contract waved under my nose

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
The new owners are saying they want a long term plan and vision. Sounds like they could not get the ego out of the door quick enough. Sadly this makes it the perfect job for potter. Pretty gutted.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here