Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is it time Independent doctors at matches?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Or what about ....

Any player who requires any treatment as demonstrated by being on the ground, is required to get on a stretcher (of which there are plenty around and neutral stretcher bearers who the ref immediately calls on). If the player is not able or willing to go on the stretcher, they will have to leave the field for 5 mins at least while an assessment is carried out. No replacement is allowed for outfield player or keeper

The watch is stopped for the duration of the time the stretcher bearers re on the field

Jun 21, 2011
I noticed yesterday when Pedro got smashed by Gibbs White he was treated on the pitch but I don't think he ever had to go off. I could be wrong but I think (99.9% certain) he was on the field for our resulting free kick.

Is this a rule now regarding tackles that are "punished" with a card? Or did the ref just miss this one?
If the offending player is carded for a challenge that requires the physio to come on, the player requiring treatment doesn't have to leave the pitch after its taken a while for this one to actually see use

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
A rugby style clock which is stopped whenever there is a break in play for injuries or stroppy players surrounding the ref would not stop the breaking up of play but it would add the minutes it went on for. Players would struggle to find a way to cheat that.

There should also be a countdown clock for goal kicks and how long the keeper holds the ball or lies on the ground with it. Exceed it and it’s an indirect free kick from the edge of the box to the opposition.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
A rugby style clock which is stopped whenever there is a break in play for injuries or stroppy players surrounding the ref would not stop the breaking up of play but it would add the minutes it went on for. Players would struggle to find a way to cheat that.

There should also be a countdown clock for goal kicks and how long the keeper holds the ball or lies on the ground with it. Exceed it and it’s an indirect free kick from the edge of the box to the opposition.
Yep. And have it on the big screens so the players (and fans) can see it.

wealdgull

NSC Patron
Dec 7, 2017

That would legitimise a team slowing the game down, breaking up the high pressure that they may be under, etc. because the time would be added on at the end. There's a fair bit of momentum in football and I think that having a rugby style clock would allow teams to manipulate that. Or we'd end up being stuck there for 2+ hours a game because of all the unplayed time.

I think that we're better off trying to get the rules tightened up (how long can a keeper hold the ball? how long is someone allowed to wait before they take a throw-in or free kick?) and enforced rather than adapting something from a very different sport.

7dialssouthpaw

Sep 10, 2022
Yep. And have it on the big screens so the players (and fans) can see it.
so everyone means that the ref calls "time off" and "time on" like in rugby. And that "time off" is transparently added onto a, let's call it, injury time clock, so when we get to the 45 or 90 minutes, we all know how long extra time we're going to get. And then, same as Rugby football rules, the game can't be stopped when ball is in play or if a free kick is pending.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Agree. If you're rolling about whilst waving your hand in the air, you're not injured. The really worrying injuries are when the player goes down and is stock still, that's when you know something is wrong.
I rolled around and waved my hand in the air once when I broke my leg!

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
My proposal is to add the following rule.

Any act by any player, which the referee considers to be timewasting, will result in the referee giving a signal. (both arms up or something).

This signal means that twice the amount of time that is wasted is added to the length of the match
Christ Everton and Villa games will be 4 hours long

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
How would an independent Dr know if a player is faking or not? I can't see how it would make a difference. Unless you're going to get them to run on to the pitch with an MRI scanner. But that would take 30 mins to complete the scan, and then 2-3 weeks to get the results back, and I think would interrupt the flow of the game somewhat.
It is more of a deterrent really. I think my point is more about cramp. I am just fed up with all the cheating. We do it as well, but arsenal are a disgrace. It is anti-football cheating. The way people justify it does my head in.

But then I would bring in a red and three game ban for diving. Not when there is some contact and go down easily. I mean a full on cheating dive. Kane style.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012

I am pretty sure it is supposed to be indirect free kick if goalie takes more than 6 seconds once caught ball isn’t it? Start enforcing that I reckon.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Why not treat injuries in-play like rugby? 90% of them would just go away immediately if the player realises they are missing the game by going down.
I agree. Let the physio on and play on. If they are down in their box then offside will be fun. It would soon stop faking.

Gabriel had a classic yesterday. He pretended he had been smashed really badly and needed treatment and was having a lie down holding his face. When the ref said play on he jumped up and started screaming “look look look” and tried showing a tiny mark or a little bit of blood. Ffs. Get on with it.

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
How would an independent Dr know if a player is faking or not? I can't see how it would make a difference. Unless you're going to get them to run on to the pitch with an MRI scanner. But that would take 30 mins to complete the scan, and then 2-3 weeks to get the results back, and I think would interrupt the flow of the game somewhat.
I'm all for that actually. Make a proper day of it.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
The ref wasted quite a bit of time on his own yesterday, he couldn't wait to blow the whistle

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
And play should never be stopped for someone going down off the ball unless they are in VF (cardiac arrest). We can trust team mates to signal this. Red card for faking.
Think both times Solly went down with his ACLs it was off the ball & no one near him. Got roundly booed at Derby even when he got taken off on a stretcher.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
The ref wasted quite a bit of time on his own yesterday, he couldn't wait to blow the whistle
And stopped a quick freekick for no reason then Danny got booked for complaining so wasting even more time.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Why not treat injuries in-play like rugby? 90% of them would just go away immediately if the player realises they are missing the game by going down.
Because in rugby they only play on as long as there is no chance the ball will go near the injured player. In football the attack v defence element is far more fluid and the ball can go anywhere at no notice.

I was at a rugby game yesterday when the play carried on for a minute or so while the attack had the ball and the injured man was behind them, but as soon as the ball was turned over the ref stopped play to avoid the risk of the action going near the injured man.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
This is SO simple to fix:
Any injury not requiring treatment (player does not signal) = play on
A) Any player requiring treatment as a result of a foul = player can stay on the pitch after treatment
B) Any player requiring treatment for a non-head injury which was not a result of a foul = the player's manager has two options:
1) Sub the player immediately (legitimate injury)
2) Player has to spend 5 minutes off the pitch (this rolls into the 2nd half if < 5 mins before HT) his team are therefore down a player for this period
c) Any head injury requiring treatment is a mandatory concussion sub, including the keeper. 10 mins to assess, can come back on if OK but after 10 mins.

These 'injuries' would mainly stop within a weekend

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here