Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is no statue safe?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
1) The aforementioned statue is on top of a 130ft high column, so anyone wishing to do anything to it is going to have to bring some fairly serious climbing equipment.

2) Earl Grey was the Prime Minister when Britain abolished slavery throughout the Empire, so I can't imagine his statue is likely to be on anyone's agenda to topple as far as BLM goes.

I wouldn't count on it!

There are some out there who are very keen not to hear anything about Britain abolishing the slave trade! Hopefully the 130 foot column will provide a sufficient disincentive........................

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Has Wayne Hennessy been teaching them how to do a Nazi salute, that’s not really a Nazi salute , but, really really looks like one?

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
Looks like it's getting nasty in London. "Football lads" amazingly turn out to be facist scum, who would have ever imagined that?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Looks like it's getting nasty in London. "Football lads" amazingly turn out to be facist scum, who would have ever imagined that?

I never ever thought that this so called ‘ counter protest’ would descend into a boozed up , coked up display of right wing thuggery.
I mean, who would ever have thought it??

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
I never ever thought that this so called ‘ counter protest’ would descend into a boozed up , coked up display of right wing thuggery.
I mean, who would ever have thought it??

it's very sad in these troubled times isn't it. the "football lads" tag is shameful of the media to repeat as well, these are just nazis

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Apparently there is a BLM march in the centre of Newcastle today, in response to which a large group of middle aged men have turned up to "protect" the statue of Earl Grey from any attempt to topple it.

There are two salient points here:

1) The aforementioned statue is on top of a 130ft high column, so anyone wishing to do anything to it is going to have to bring some fairly serious climbing equipment.

2) Earl Grey was the Prime Minister when Britain abolished slavery throughout the Empire, so I can't imagine his statue is likely to be on anyone's agenda to topple as far as BLM goes.

But then slavery was abolished long before Churchill became PM and his statue is causing difficulties .

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
“They’re not fascists, they’re just mobbed up at a Black Lives Matter protest and pointing at things because it gets a bit boring in lockdown”

:ffsparr:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apparently there is a BLM march in the centre of Newcastle today, in response to which a large group of middle aged men have turned up to "protect" the statue of Earl Grey from any attempt to topple it.

There are two salient points here:

Are you sure it is not a group of large middle aged men.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Truly sickening scenes today in our capital, far right thugs and far left thugs attacking the thin blue line, such saddening scenes, this whole thing has been allowed to go on far to long, absolutely abhorrent.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
1,000-strong physical-distanced BLM demonstration taking place in our beautiful city bathing in sunshine. Meanwhile, in central London ...

There were many, many more than 1000 there.

It was a very large protest, and march through the city. I felt safe social-distance-wise throughout, and just about everyone had a mask on.

It was peaceful, friendly and good-humoured. The only negative was the group of fascists 'protecting' the War Memorial, who were aggressive and abusive.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Splendid job being done protecting the memorials from these uniformed plants. It's a self defence, of course. One female about to be attacked.

BLM protesters are vermin if they do such thing (won't contest that) but these guys are patriots ?

[tweet]1271779403928870913[/tweet]

The pacifist in me is challenged by the entry below.

[Tweet]1271781673626148866[/tweet]

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
There were many, many more than 1000 there.

It was a very large protest, and march through the city. I felt safe social-distance-wise throughout, and just about everyone had a mask on.

It was peaceful, friendly and good-humoured. The only negative was the group of fascists 'protecting' the War Memorial, who were aggressive and abusive.

I've just been out (not to the seafront), and a woman returning from the demo said there were 60,000 there, which is somewhat of a different number to a thousand.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here