Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] IT Help - Snail like download speed

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Press Windows Key > Search Device manager > Open Device manager > Find the WiFi Driver > Right Click and Uninstall.

At the top click the Scan for Hardware Changes and it should re install. If not then the WiFi card is caput.

Edit: Just seen you can connect to other WiFi. Do you know the loging to the router?

It could simply be the frequency it's trying to use. You have either 2.4 GHz or 5Ghz channels on the router.

Edit2: Just found this. https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Hub-One-5GHz-WiFi-issue/td-p/1696363

Last edited:

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
[MENTION=18774]Rugrat[/MENTION]
Consider downloading and using this free (trial) AVG Driver Updater (I use it and have the full subscription).
It'll scan the whole laptop and alert you of out of date drivers that may have been missed - as well as auto download and update them.

Very very much recommend you try this. It's free, from a reputable company, and may solve your issue.

https://www.avg.com/en-gb/avg-driver-updater

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Yes it was supplied by them.

Understood about an off the shelf router ... would be nice if I could determine if it were compatibility, and obviously that I'm not shelling out on a new router that has the same compatibility issues

Have thought about ordering one from Amazon, see if it helps, if not factory reset it and send back for refund, if it works problem solved.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Personally I'd jack it in and get a Chromebook. Wish I'd done it years ago.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Thank you to everyone for all the input ... I'm thoroughly exhausted but it might be fixed (as it's been intermittent I can't say for sure but it was running OK when I went to bed last night and it is this morning).

I think the suggestion of trying hotspot (thanks [MENTION=17571]StonehamPark[/MENTION]) motivated me to keep looking for the problem ... I was ready to bin off Plusnet and pay the penalty!!

Not entirely sure what fixed but likely one of

* forcing it to use 2.4 GHz only (counter intuitive I know) (thanks to [MENTION=473]Barnet Seagull[/MENTION] and [MENTION=20008]dadams2k11[/MENTION])
* turning router on/off ... only because the router re-set a couple of times with stuff I was doing but thanks to [MENTION=10856]1066familyman[/MENTION]

If this doesn't work then I'm going to replace router with BT Business Hub 6 (thanks [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION])

Anyway thanks to all ... likely one of you not mentioned that fixed it but did so much I'm not sure at what point I really got there

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Personally I'd jack it in and get a Chromebook. Wish I'd done it years ago.

Or go one better.....

Bin off Windows and switch to Linux :thumbsup:

Anyway, looks like the OP now has it sorted. Marvellous scenes.

AIT76

The wisdom of a fool
Jul 29, 2004

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Thank you to everyone for all the input ... I'm thoroughly exhausted but it might be fixed (as it's been intermittent I can't say for sure but it was running OK when I went to bed last night and it is this morning).

I think the suggestion of trying hotspot (thanks [MENTION=17571]StonehamPark[/MENTION]) motivated me to keep looking for the problem ... I was ready to bin off Plusnet and pay the penalty!!

* forcing it to use 2.4 GHz only (counter intuitive I know) (thanks to [MENTION=473]Barnet Seagull[/MENTION] and [MENTION=20008]dadams2k11[/MENTION])
* turning router on/off ... only because the router re-set a couple of times with stuff I was doing but thanks to [MENTION=10856]1066familyman[/MENTION]

If this doesn't work then I'm going to replace router with BT Business Hub 6 (thanks [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION])

Anyway thanks to all ... likely one of you not mentioned that fixed it but did so much I'm not sure at what point I really got there

Glad to hear you have a better experience on 2.4ghz. It sounds to me like Plusnet router doesn't handle the new wireless card on your laptop well
Although you've solved it, it's not ideal.

You have 5 options.

1. Keep the laptop on 2.4ghz and risk not being able to connect to modern networks on the laptop if travelling
2. Create two SSIDs on the router, splitting the 2.4ghz and 5ghz networks. You can then force the newer laptop to connect to the 2.4ghz network only and and re-instate the full functionality of the wireless card.
3. Get a USB wireless card /replace the existing one
4. Change the wireless router
5. Talk to plusnet to see if they have any router config recommendations which will allow 5Ghz network to work for this card.

If it were me I'd do (5) anyway and if plusnet can't solve it, (2).

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton

Is the 5Ghz turned off on the router? Can you login to the backend of router and turn it on?

Many of my customers have had this turned off and once turned back on, it as resolved the issues.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Glad to hear you have a better experience on 2.4ghz. It sounds to me like Plusnet router doesn't handle the new wireless card on your laptop well
Although you've solved it, it's not ideal.

You have 5 options.

1. Keep the laptop on 2.4ghz and risk not being able to connect to modern networks on the laptop if travelling
2. Create two SSIDs on the router, splitting the 2.4ghz and 5ghz networks. You can then force the newer laptop to connect to the 2.4ghz network only and and re-instate the full functionality of the wireless card.
3. Get a USB wireless card /replace the existing one
4. Change the wireless router
5. Talk to plusnet to see if they have any router config recommendations which will allow 5Ghz network to work for this card.

If it were me I'd do (5) anyway and if plusnet can't solve it, (2).

I've turned the 5Ghz off at the router. I've been as far away as I need and it still works OK, plus my bedroom firestick still works fine, so I'm declaring victory. If I find that this hasn't solved the problem I had planned to call Plusnet and if I do I will use your summary to try and have a sensible conversation (vs "we can't find anything wrong, goodbye")

Is the 5Ghz turned off on the router? Can you login to the backend of router and turn it on?

Many of my customers have had this turned off and once turned back on, it as resolved the issues.

No harm trying, will turn it back on and see what happens

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
I've turned the 5Ghz off at the router. I've been as far away as I need and it still works OK, plus my bedroom firestick still works fine, so I'm declaring victory. If I find that this hasn't solved the problem I had planned to call Plusnet and if I do I will use your summary to try and have a sensible conversation (vs "we can't find anything wrong, goodbye")

Will be interesting to see.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...

You should be fine as you'll still be able to share up to 54mbps across all your devices via 2.4ghz only. It's worth being aware though that if you have a lot of stuff going on and are pushing near the 54mbps limit, you may reach a wireless bottleneck and see some latency issues.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Will be interesting to see.

LOL ... I phoned Plusnet to ask as [MENTION=473]Barnet Seagull[/MENTION] suggested. I went through the entire (summarised) 10 hours of work I'd put into this. He told me to look on ebay and buy a BT Smart Hub 6 ... I can get for £30 and he has given me a goodwill gesture of £30.

I did it while on the line (bought for £25.99) and he's going to call me back on Friday to set it up

Say what you will ... I certainly wasn't expecting that and pretty impressed

I would never have thought router given every other device running fine ... 10 hours of my life I don't get back but happy ending

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Result!

:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here