Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Joe Gatting is not good enough

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Gatting is still a kid and has been introduced into the team mid-season with no match fitness playing against some decent teams. Scoring 2 goals in 2 matches is more than that joker we had on loan from Villa managed, and Chris McPhee, and Wilkinson, McCammon etc.

He's doing OK, although could do with an experienced striker at the club to show him the ropes.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Pavilionaire said:
Gatting is still a kid and has been introduced into the team mid-season with no match fitness playing against some decent teams. Scoring 2 goals in 2 matches is more than that joker we had on loan from Villa managed, and Chris McPhee, and Wilkinson, McCammon etc.

He's doing OK, although could do with an experienced striker at the club to show him the ropes.

Spot on. Some of the criticism levelled at him is astonishing. The lad is 19 FFS.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
goldstone said:
Sorry, Mr Barnham Seagull, but that too is bollocks.

Can we (or can any team) really afford the luxury of carrying a young player who is "just starting" to show signs of what he may be able to offer at some undetermined point in the future?

The answer is NO.

Until he's able to compete and bring something to the team (which by the looks of it is likely to be some way off) he should go off on loan to a Conference team.

In my view he's another McPhee ... not got what it takes.

Actually you are right. In the same way, that youngster we took a punt on from Burton Albion...Christ what a load of shit he turned out to be.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Joe Gatting has already done more in his career than McPhee ever did - more at youth level, more to impress in the reserves, more contribution at 1st XI level.

The only thing in McPhee's defence is that he did play in the Championship and was duly exposed.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
BensGrandad said:
Please correct me if I am wrong but have we not bought Elder to do this.

That's fine. If that's Elder's strength and he's up to playing at this level let's get him on paired with either Revell or Jake.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
not being funny but the excuses wheeled out about only being 19 , surely if these boys are to make a decent living from the game they should be doing it now ? I accept its prob still a little early to judge gatts but if they are good enough then i think age isnt neccasarily an issue

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Dougal said:
not being funny but the excuses wheeled out about only being 19 , surely if these boys are to make a decent living from the game they should be doing it now ? I accept its prob still a little early to judge gatts but if they are good enough then i think age isnt neccasarily an issue
Two goals in successive games isn't bas for a 19 year old.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Pavilionaire said:

I also agree with Pavilionaire on this. He's someone who can hold the ball up and play with his back to goal.

There is a wider issue about competition for places up front. The problem with having so few forwards is that Revell and Robinson aren't going to be dropped, no matter how well or badly they playing. Elder is a young player with no league experience whom may or may not play a part this season. We badly need another recognised, out and out goal scorer or an experienced target man. That would help the younger players but it would also mean greater competition for places.

Last edited:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
For what it's worth I still want to see alot more from him.. scored a nice enough goal the other week, but then just taken out the game by any center back worth their salt. Simply not big enough to be a Revell, not small enough to be a Coxy.. :(

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Sooner they pack that lardy docile **** off to Aldershot the better. Unlike Jakey, he'll be a long time embarassing the manager into a hasty recall.

Get rid innit :wave:

Last edited:

Goldstone Guy

Nov 18, 2006
Hove
I've only been to one game this season - Oldham away, and in my opinion when he came on he was our best player by some
distance. He's not particularly quick but linked play up well and turned his marker a couple of times to get in decent shots.
Even if he wasn't that good, slagging off a nineteen year old in his first senior year here is completely out of order, and if that's the attitude of the average B&HA supporter we deserve nothing more than relegation.

Silent Bob said:
Can we really afford to carry promising young players? It is disgraceful. Who ever heard of a successful youth system.

Most teams 'carry' promising young players-just not in the quantities that we are at present. That is the problem. That and the fact that a couple of them aren't very good and will be playing with McPhee in the future.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
It has to be said Gatting was utter gash today

Goldstone Guy said:
I've only been to one game this season - Oldham away, and in my opinion when he came on he was our best player by some
distance. He's not particularly quick but linked play up well and turned his marker a couple of times to get in decent shots.
Even if he wasn't that good, slagging off a nineteen year old in his first senior year here is completely out of order, and if that's the attitude of the average B&HA supporter we deserve nothing more than relegation.

Spot on.

And he was OK today, kept the Millwall central defenders busy all game, did all you could ask for a young lad learning his trade with a more senior player like Revell out ill.

You can fully except some of Gatting's lovely reviews will be given to Nathan Elder before long, you could set your watch by it.

Uncle Spielberg said:
It has to be said Gatting was utter gash today

He did well I thought today, held the ball up well and made good use of it.
What Gatting needs to do is to try and find a way of compensating for his lack of pace.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I thought Gatting was ok yesterday, is getting better at holding the ball up and looks more confident with each game. Also you can't question his commitment.

However his lack of pace is shocking and the one thing that i think is holding him back for being a good player for us.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
I wouldn't go as far as saying he's a waste of space, but he's not good enough atm. Looks lethargic, doesn't challenge hard and falls over in a light breeze.

Come on Joe - you're better than this, surely?!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here