Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Just Stop Oil

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I agree with every word apart from the much treasured or loved momument. It’s a bunch of old stones that may or may not have had some meaning hundreds of years ago. It looked very insignificant when I passed by on the road.
As you say, the rain will wash it off.
In fact the rain and wind will do a lot more damage by erosion than any powder.
the acid rain from 18-20th century industry will have done more damage

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I agree with every word apart from the much treasured or loved momument. It’s a bunch of old stones that may or may not have had some meaning hundreds of years ago. It looked very insignificant when I passed by on the road.
As you say, the rain will wash it off.
In fact the rain and wind will do a lot more damage by erosion than any powder.
Very much a personal view I guess given over a million visit each year. Presumably you’re OK with our other similarly protected ancient monuments being defaced. Maybe Bodiam Castle could be next, or the Long Man of Wilmington perhaps (again).

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
if they were in the middle of the highway, causing an obstruction then yes they would have. Even though I 100% agreed with the sentiment EDIT : cause, as I do with climate lobbyist, breaking the law doesn’t make it right.

Start to choose which laws you want upheld and which you’re happy to break because you don’t agree with them is hypocritical.
If you believe an individual law is wrong then it would be hypocritical to follow it , they used to hand children for stealing 250 years ago I certainly wouldn't have carried it out.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
We sat in the road by the Goldstone a few times after games deliberately blocking traffic
IIRC the roads adjacent to the ground were closed before kick off and at the end anyway.

But if we’re going to carry on this ridiculous false equivalence I look forward to 8000 Just Stop Oil invading the pitch during the Euro 2024 finals before saving the world in Hereford a year later.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Once? I went on three marches to party conferences. Two Labour and one Lib Dem.
Motorists were inconvenienced each time.
A march to a party conference that’s already disrupting the town is a bit different to sitting down on a motorway exit or London thoroughfare.

At the end of the day this is virtue signalling by wealthy pensioners and students who don’t have to drive to work to pay the bill or heat a house to keep kids warm in winter.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
If you believe an individual law is wrong then it would be hypocritical to follow it , they used to hand children for stealing 250 years ago I certainly would have carried it out.
No it wouldn’t be hypocritical at all, it would be abiding by the laws of the land. For sure there will always be laws that we all personally disagree with. If everyone took the view ‘ i disagree therefore i shall ignore’ we would be in an even bigger mess than we are now.

you can argue that its likely 99% of the population disagree with one law or another, so in your view it is fine for them all to break them?

How about the shit who thinks it’s fine to break into your house because he disagrees with the laws regarding theft?

Or the nutter who loves a good tear up and disagrees with laws on battery? Fine fir him to knock 6 barrels of shit out of you on your way home from the pub?

Or what about the frustrated Lewis Hamilton who thinks that 70 mph limit is a nonsense? Okay if he drive past the school when kids are about doing 100?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Is there really no middle ground between “change nothing and watch the planet burn” and “desecrate national monuments for the engagement”?

Because I feel like I’m in that middle ground somewhere.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Is there really no middle ground between “change nothing and watch the planet burn” and “desecrate national monuments for the engagement”?

Probably, but then chucking some orange flour that will wash off next time it rains it's probably precisely in that middle ground. I'm not sure it's a particularly astute thing to do politically but then they're getting a lot of attention so who knows?

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011

in fairness A1 I think that’s where the majority of us are …

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

I suspect that’s where many of us who aren’t Trump / Farage / China / Big Business nor wealthy attention seeking hippies are at.

The extremes always drown out the sensible voices.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Very much a personal view I guess given over a million visit each year. Presumably you’re OK with our other similarly protected ancient monuments being defaced. Maybe Bodiam Castle could be next, or the Long Man of Wilmington perhaps (again).
It hasn’t been defaced. Cornflour will wash off with the next rainfall.
Everyone is so keen to join in with the hysteria. It’s no worse than a student prank, but it has gained publicity so achieved its aim.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Everyone is so keen to join in with the hysteria. It’s now worse than a student prank, but it has gained publicity so achieved its aim.
It’s not as simple as that. Archaeologists are saying that the corn starch has penetrated the historic lichen on the stones and they will need to find a way to remove it without damaging the lichen.

Thoughtless vandalism.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Fairy liquid in the moat around Bodian Castle?

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Everyone is so keen to join in with the hysteria. It’s now worse than a student prank, but it has gained publicity so achieved its aim.
Archaeologist Mike Pitts expressed his strong concern over the potential damage, and said that the megaliths were fenced off and guarded to protect their surfaces, which were entirely covered in prehistoric markings that haven't been fully analyzed. He also expressed concern about possible damage to the diverse lichen patterns on the megalith surfaces.

Reactions: abc

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
A significant area of Britain was once covered in temperate rainforest. Most of it was destroyed and is now grass, grazed by sheep. We ruined our rainforest centuries/decades ago (I can look the dates up if you want) but now there's no point us trying to do anything about climate change because Brazil is cutting down its rainforest. Right.
Quite - Our UK rainforests, or what's left of then, are 20,000 years old and vastly more important than a bunch of stones that have been moved, repaired, restored many times but who gives a crap about nature eh?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
This is utter bollocks. It's just another subject the Guardian likes to scare the middle classes with.

Cause of death statistics are published in the UK. The number of deaths caused by air pollution is 0.

They reach their number by estimating the amount of lifespan lost by a single person, and then multiplying that number by the number of people in the world.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here