Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Just Stop Oil

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The problem with people comparing JSO to the Suffragettes is that the Suffragettes didn’t achieve their aims themselves.

To achieve change in the UK (and indeed any democracy) you need to win the hearts and minds of the public and have a properly good political lobbying arm. Women’s suffrage was actually set back by the Suffragette movement at the time, the hard yards were done by the Suffragist movement under Millicent Fawcett who engaged in exactly that lobbying and campaigning, and the more extreme the Suffragettes got the harder they found it. In the end it took the combined forces of the Suffragists and the Great War to seal the deal.

So being like the Suffragettes will just put your movement back. History tells us as much.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I think the sulphur used in fuels will have caused more harm to the lichen, and over a longer time period.
I think that's an absolute certainty. In fact, I'd argue that the emissions from cars passing Stonehenge just today will cause more harm. The irony that some posters are using lichen as a bat to beat the protestors with is SUPREME! All that said I don't think it's a particularly smart move, it's just the febrile nature of the responses to a temporary attack on some stones vs the destruction of the planet is quite remarkable yet unsurprising.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

At it again
"On Thursday morning's incident, Just Stop Oil said: "At around 5am Jennifer Kowalski and Cole Macdonald entered the private airfield at Stansted airport where Swift's jet is currently stationed."

Ms Macdonald, 22, from Brighton..."

I think we need to know whether Cole Macdonald had a farm.

Withdean South Stand

Mar 2, 2014

abc

Jan 6, 2007
I think that's an absolute certainty. In fact, I'd argue that the emissions from cars passing Stonehenge just today will cause more harm. The irony that some posters are using lichen as a bat to beat the protestors with is SUPREME! All that said I don't think it's a particularly smart move, it's just the febrile nature of the responses to a temporary attack on some stones vs the destruction of the planet is quite remarkable yet unsurprising.

My take on the general gist of most posts is that people are no less concerned about Climate Change than you or JSO activists but are angered about the use of an ancient monument to make the point. There is arguably a ‘supreme’ irony that eco protestors are being defended for potentially damaging a fragile ecosystem and if you support the cause there may be justification for being angry at action that alienates that support rather than garners it.
Ultimately i think everyone on this thread is on the same side.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Apparently all sorted thank goodness

“English Heritage said the orange paint had been removed using an air blower.

It told the BBC that if rain had come into contact with the powder, damage could have been significant

The stones are covered in more than fifty different lichens, some of them rare. This meant brushing or washing the paint off was not possible.”

Longest day of the year tomorrow…already 👀

Reactions: A1X

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
At least that's a better target! Stop having a pop at Stonehenge and actually go after polluters, etc.
We live in times of the most stupid activism that have the opposite effect of what it sets out to achieve. Why not more oil companies being targeted. The whole thing comes across as murky, who is funding these idiots.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just for information not a critique of your post at all. It can take hundreds of years for lichen to grow. A plate of lichen the size of a 50 pence piece could have taken 100 years to grow to that size. They are extremely delicate and vulnerable to foreign substances.

You don’t even touch lichen with your bare hands, the oil in your skin can damage them.

Lichen is a very valuable way of exploring the history of monuments.

Genuinely, throwing powder paint on these stones is like throwing paint on ancient scriptures. It destroys their fabric and our understanding of their history.

I do see the bigger picture; we won’t have any living organisms, let alone lichens if the world keeps going the way it’s going. However, this was misjudged.

I get that not many people know or care about lichen and similar organisms but I happen to and I can’t get behind this particular act.
Thanks good points.

But....hang on....

1718873799778.png

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The one chap who rang up to complain he’d missed his father’s funeral, was told the demonstration was advertise, so he could’ve checked the day before and chose an alternative route.
Let me think, my parents died around three years ago, the last thing I thought of doing in the run up to their funerals was to search out activist websites to see if they were advertising what protests they were about to carry out. For starters I would never of thought of the idea and equally I was too wrapped up in my parents deaths and the plans for the funeral to even have done so.

I think you also mention on another of your posts "it was only orange cornflour and would be easily washed off" - please see this statement from English Heritage :

"English Heritage said the orange paint had been removed using an air blower.

It told the BBC that if rain had come into contact with the powder, damage could have been significant.

The stones are covered in more than fifty different lichens, some of them rare. This meant brushing or washing the paint off was not possible."

I agree with JSO's aims but not their tactics in the same way that I agreed with the IRA's aims but not their tactics.

Last edited:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
At least that's a better target! Stop having a pop at Stonehenge and actually go after polluters, etc.
You wont be saying that when your in a massive que because they have targeted the airport when you are off on your Hoilbobs !
I said earlier in the thread yesterday, a gartwick member of staff told me they have been warned to expect disruption all through the holiday period.

I will not be Fkn happy if it happens to me, feck em.

Withdean South Stand

Mar 2, 2014
You wont be saying that when your in a massive que because they have targeted the airport when you are off on your Hoilbobs !
I said earlier in the thread yesterday, a gartwick member of staff told me they have been warned to expect disruption all through the holiday period.

I will not be Fkn happy if it happens to me, feck em.
If they try anything at Gatwick they're going to get an absolute beating. I really don't think they'll be so bold but I can imagine them trying to get onto the runway.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The problem with people comparing JSO to the Suffragettes is that the Suffragettes didn’t achieve their aims themselves.

To achieve change in the UK (and indeed any democracy) you need to win the hearts and minds of the public and have a properly good political lobbying arm. Women’s suffrage was actually set back by the Suffragette movement at the time, the hard yards were done by the Suffragist movement under Millicent Fawcett who engaged in exactly that lobbying and campaigning, and the more extreme the Suffragettes got the harder they found it. In the end it took the combined forces of the Suffragists and the Great War to seal the deal.

So being like the Suffragettes will just put your movement back. History tells us as much.
"On Thursday morning's incident, Just Stop Oil said: "At around 5am Jennifer Kowalski and Cole Macdonald entered the private airfield at Stansted airport where Swift's jet is currently stationed."

Ms Macdonald, 22, from Brighton..."

I think we need to know whether Cole Macdonald had a farm.
If so we can be certain that on that farm had no pigs, cows, sheep, hens or ducks.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I don’t believe you really mean that? That is the recipe for total anarchy.
It would also mean that any laws that come in to mitigate climate change can be freely ignored if you ‘believe it is wrong’. Not helpful!

No it wouldn’t be hypocritical at all, it would be abiding by the laws of the land. For sure there will always be laws that we all personally disagree with. If everyone took the view ‘ i disagree therefore i shall ignore’ we would be in an even bigger mess than we are now.

you can argue that its likely 99% of the population disagree with one law or another, so in your view it is fine for them all to break them?

How about the shit who thinks it’s fine to break into your house because he disagrees with the laws regarding theft?

Or the nutter who loves a good tear up and disagrees with laws on battery? Fine fir him to knock 6 barrels of shit out of you on your way home from the pub?

Or what about the frustrated Lewis Hamilton who thinks that 70 mph limit is a nonsense? Okay if he drive past the school when kids are about doing 100?

I am a very law abiding person. I believe in the social contract system whereby people work to a framework of laws but also believe you need to look at those laws to ensure they are correct and still relevant and if not you need to challenge them and our law allows that to happen (though those rights are now being restricted) .

The issue then focuses on the challenge itself and how it manifests and whether the act of challenge is disproportionate to the issue. Climate change is a major issue so TEMPORARILY defacing some old buildings is not out of proportion IMO (i am also a great lover of history) and let's face it if climate change isn't stopped both of those sites will be more greatly damaged that said i would prefer it not to happen and the government take climate change seriously

I don't think any of the examples you give are challenges to improve it the law , they are clear examples of where people have no regard for the social contract I mentioned or indeed of other people.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
If they break any of the security fences/processes they should be chucked in jail for a long time.
Under the terrorism legislation I would have thought if they are cutting through security fencing at a "high risk" terrorist target like an airport.

But daddy will get them a top brief no doubt. Paltry fine and back doing it again next week.

Withdean South Stand

Mar 2, 2014
The JSO Fb page is a giggle. They are quite rightly getting a total shoe-in from hundreds, if not thousands and the cowardly bunch of morons have made no response at all.
I imagine they're more focused on the real world, rather than the cesspit of Facebook comments sections. It might be the first wise thing they've done as a group.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here