Votes: 24 21.1%
  • Undecided

Votes: 16 14.0%

• Total voters

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Man of Harveys said:
Henderson was DREADFUL today - I seem to have missed these "world-class" saves others have been mentioning

... and the two goal-line blocks in the second half, and the one-on-one with Maynard in the first half ...

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
the blame for the first goal can also go to the defence. They should have been first to the loose ball but i'm sure Henderson would admit he should have held it

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
London Irish said:
Hendo had a nervous game today but I think McGhee has to back his guy, so I will vote for Hendo for now. But Kuipers has his chance next week and good luck to him, if he plays outstandingly well, then we'll see. That would be a better time to take this poll.

BTW - there was a point blank save today by Hendo in the second half that you will not see bettered all season. Also a great save to keep it 0-0 just before we opened the scoring. Shame that he once again knocked a decent save to an opposition's forwards feet, but I'd have liked to have seen our defenders chase the rebound as hungrily as the Crewe forwards. Hendo had got them out of trouble earlier, they didn't repay the debt.

A sensible summary, thank f***.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
tommy boy said:
you clearly did! the point blank from maynard when he turned both lynch and santos, leving him with acres of space to pick his spot before big wayne POUNCED on the ball
Fair enough, I don't remember the players involved as well as you do. But I don't remember seeing anything that made me think "well...at least with Henderson you get something like that which you wouldn't get with Kuipers".

I was about to write "Kuipers is the better f***ing goalkeeper, so why isn't he playing?" again, but that would be CHURLISH. So I'm going to put it as my signature instead.

Last edited:

BarrelofFun said:
Whoever is playing better at the time.

Henderson was superb today and stopped the result being that of a cricket match.

Gifted them a goal to get back into the match, and you have to say he was alittle to blame for them wrapping the match up with the 3rd.

How much longer can we afford to keep letting him give away those cheap goals? Kuipers should be given a chance in the team.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
The Large One said:
and I don't buy into this absolute bollocks about his distribution

You obviously don't play as a keeper then. I assume you are one of those who thinks all the keeper does is stop shots, well that is not the case. Since the back pass rule was phased out professional keepers have to be as comfortable on the ball as the outfield players.

I like both of them but Kuipers weak link has always been his distribution you know where the ball is going whenever he kicks it, sliced in the air to the keepers left. Henderson can at least aim and pick players out with the long ball something Kuipers cannot do it and it is that reason why McGhee keeps him in the team. Some of them will go into touch or to the opposition because long balls are less accurate than short passes.

On the subject of rebounds when the ball is going at pace low to your side your instinct is to keep it out. I thought the ball actually hit Henderson's wrist before coming back out then it's the defence's job to be alert and clear any rebounds. The Crewe keeper did exactly the same thing when we hit the post.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Happy Seagull said:
Gifted them a goal to get back into the match, and you have to say he was alittle to blame for them wrapping the match up with the 3rd.

How much longer can we afford to keep letting him give away those cheap goals? Kuipers should be given a chance in the team.

I can't see that Kuipers could have done any better - he's neither quick off his line nor particularly sound with his handling, so I doubt either of the two goals you mention would have been averted.

Still, as said earlier - he's got his chance next week, so it's up to him to take it.

dunno

Old Skool
Jul 6, 2003
At work - probably
Man of Harveys said:

Kuipers is simply a better f***ing goalkeeper, full stop. Why isn't he playing?

I like Henderson and ability-wise I generally think they are about the same but using McGhee's rational of 'playing well and keeping the shirt' I think Michel should be given a fair go.

I actually think there is something deeper about all of this- I think that because Hendo is a young international keeper with bags of potential, that we picked up for peanuts, if we keep playing him his value will rise and somebody will bid for him. I just think we are waiting for the 'pay day'.

A debate like this has been goin on for YEARS.

I quote this from the NSC thread about the Fans Forum in 2003 - and not just because I was the 'numpty' in question.

One final thing!!

Coppell announced, without announcing the name, that Roberts will be the No1 keeper

Some numpty then got on the mike and said FDM was well respected and loved by Brighton fans (true) but we (ie the fans) would want FDM as No1 keeper, not Roberts!!

Not true sir, dont proclaim you speak for all Albion fans, I'm quite happy for Roberts to be No1 and so were all the other sitting around me

Last edited:

Repugnant Toad said:
I can't see that Kuipers could have done any better - he's neither quick off his line nor particularly sound with his handling, so I doubt either of the two goals you mention would have been averted.

Still, as said earlier - he's got his chance next week, so it's up to him to take it.

Kuipers isn't as week as Henderson with that type of shot stopping. If you had noticed he was practising just that while warming up today. Each one went around the post as it should have.

The 3rd goal i never blamed Hendo entirely, but even kicking it into touch would have been a bonus.

EDIT: It won't matter how well Kuipers plays next week, he'll still be dropped when Hendo's back anyway.

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think this "distribution" thing can be firmly put to bed now. Hendo is just as capable of hoofing the ball into touch from a backpass as Kuipers, as has been graphically illustrated on several occasions. As for "picking out forwards", I'm struggling to remember too many attacks that were initiated by a fantastic goal kick from Hendo, or a perceptive throw-out. Its an absolute myth.

Goalies are there to keep the f***ing thing out of the net, NOT set up our attacks. We've (supposedly) got outfield players who should be doing that for the team.

I'm not saying Hendo is crap. But Kuipers is CLEARLY a better keeper. He's safer, he's a terrific shot-stopper, his decision-making is more sound and he really is just an all-round better keeper than Henderson - its that simple. Henderson would be able backup, but thats it. Get that FDM back and KEEP him there, its pissing obvious.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Easy 10 said:
I think this "distribution" thing can be firmly put to bed now. Hendo is just as capable of hoofing the ball into touch from a backpass as Kuipers, as has been graphically illustrated on several occasions. As for "picking out forwards", I'm struggling to remember too many attacks that were initiated by a fantastic goal kick from Hendo, or a perceptive throw-out. Its an absolute myth.

Goalies are there to keep the f***ing thing out of the net, NOT set up our attacks. We've (supposedly) got outfield players who should be doing that for the team.

I'm not saying Hendo is crap. But Kuipers is CLEARLY a better keeper. He's safer, he's a terrific shot-stopper, his decision-making is more sound and he really is just an all-round better keeper than Henderson - its that simple. Henderson would be able backup, but thats it. Get that FDM back and KEEP him there, its pissing obvious.

The problem either keepers have with picking out the forwards is that none are that great in the air so its just like giving them the ball back.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Kinky Gerbils said:
The problem either keepers have with picking out the forwards is that none are that great in the air so its just like giving them the ball back.

Precisely, which is why Revell is on the wing against shorter full backs which allow Henderson to aim for him something Kuipers is not good at.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Theatre of Trees said:
You obviously don't play as a keeper then. I assume you are one of those who thinks all the keeper does is stop shots, well that is not the case. Since the back pass rule was phased out professional keepers have to be as comfortable on the ball as the outfield players.
You assume completely wrong then. I am well aware of the roles required of a goalkeeper, and I don't need to have ever played in goal to comprehend that. That was a totally unnecessary paragraph for you to write.

Theatre of Trees said:
I like both of them but Kuipers weak link has always been his distribution you know where the ball is going whenever he kicks it, sliced in the air to the keepers left. Henderson can at least aim and pick players out with the long ball something Kuipers cannot do it and it is that reason why McGhee keeps him in the team. Some of them will go into touch or to the opposition because long balls are less accurate than short passes.
And therein lies my point. And I cannot make this plainer or simpler - that explanation of Kuipers' distribution is a myth - a complete fallacy bordering on fantasy. It simply is not true. His distribution is no better or worse than many keepers we have had here.

Theatre of Trees said:
On the subject of rebounds when the ball is going at pace low to your side your instinct is to keep it out. I thought the ball actually hit Henderson's wrist before coming back out then it's the defence's job to be alert and clear any rebounds. The Crewe keeper did exactly the same thing when we hit the post.
I couldn't give a shit about the shortcomings of the Crewe goalkeeper, all I want to know is that our goalie is playing well.

Rookie said:
the blame for the first goal can also go to the defence. They should have been first to the loose ball but i'm sure Henderson would admit he should have held it

Fair play to Hendo, I think he has according to something someone said on SCR.

It's just a shame fans got on his back from the first whistle. I'm sure he can hear that support :(

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Easy 10 said:
I think this "distribution" thing can be firmly put to bed now.

Hardly.

As Mr. Trees points out above, the difference isn't that Hendo puts it right on the striker's head every time - he probably wouldn't be with us if he could - rather that he actually AIMS for a particular player, and gets it right more often than not; and that applies to his kicking and throwing.

Contrast with Kuipers, who just lumps it aimlessly up the pitch, either lacking the inclination or the ability to do as Hendo does. He's a great shot-stopper, sure - but plenty of lower-league keepers are; and Hendo showed himself more than capable of that today.

I really can't see why Kuipers is hyped up to be something he isn't.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Easy 10 said:

Wise words, Mr Ten.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Henderson got some bad stick towards the end when fans gathered down onto the running track.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here