Votes: 16 14.0%

• Total voters

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The Large One said:

And therein lies my point. And I cannot make this plainer or simpler - that explanation of Kuipers' distribution is a myth - a complete fallacy bordering on fantasy. It simply is not true. His distribution is no better or worse than many keepers we have had here.

A myth Coppell, Adams and now Mcghee have commented on?

Easy 10 said:
I think this "distribution" thing can be firmly put to bed now. Hendo is just as capable of hoofing the ball into touch from a backpass as Kuipers,.
That's not what the distribution debate has really ever been about though, it's more Hendo's quick throws that start our counterattacks that gives him the edge over Kuipers. Kuipers is poor at judging those, remember the goal at Sheff Utd in January that Kuipers blamed Lynch for.

Last edited:

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Easy 10 said:

Goalies are there to keep the f***ing thing out of the net, NOT set up our attacks.

That is where you are very wrong, saving is a basic skill that you are expected to do. Command of area and distribution are far more important.

I've played in goal for over 20 years and one of the things that always getting me dropped was my poor distribution particularly once the back pass rule came into being in the early 1990s.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
London Irish said:
That's not what the distribution debate has really ever been about though, it's more Hendo's quick throws that start our counterattacks that gives him the edge over Kuipers. Kuipers is poor at judging those, remember the goal at Sheff Utd in January that Kuipers blamed Lynch for.

People tend to forget Hendo tarted the move fr 2 of the 3 goals at Leeds last year.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Kuipers , we need someone who gives the defenders some sort of direction and actually FIGHTS FOR THE BALL :angry:

distribution on recent games they are about the same, Kuipers is a better shot stopper and i feel safer when he goes up for the ball

Kinky Gerbils said:

It's nice to be in agreement for once - good for you for not using the goalkeeper situation as a stick to beat McGhee with, it would be so easy to do in the current climate :clap:

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The Large One said:
But one which most of the rest of us have yet to spot? What have they seen that the rest of us haven't?

Three managers whose jobs depend on it have asaid it, and in two of the cases brought new keepers in.

I think most people have spotted Kuipers as no idea where he is kicking the ball.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Kinky Gerbils said:
Christs sake.
If Kuipers was doing AIR SHOTS at his clearances, or scuffing it 15 yards to the feet of the oppositions striker time and time again, then maybe this "distribution" thing might have some merit.

If you're serioously trying to tell me that the team is in some way benefitting from the "superior" distribution of Henderson though, then I think you might need to lay down in a darkened room for a little while.

All I want our goalie to do is to keep the f***ing ball out of that stringy thing behind him. It would also be nice if he could hold onto the shitting thing once in a while, or put it round the post, rather than palming it out to the nearest onrushing defender for an OG, or the nearest forward.
Not MUCH to ask, is it.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
London Irish said:
It's nice to be in agreement for once - good for you for not using the goalkeeper situation as a stick to beat McGhee with, it would be so easy to do in the current climate :clap:
Im not going to because its one of the few selections Mcghee gets right most weeks.

henderson makes mistakes yes, but Kuipers does as well but because he is a "Legend" they dont seem to matter - itthe same with Hart and to some lenght Mayo.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Henderson made some awesome saves today and can see why people want him as Number 1, but I think he's costs us too many goals by palming the ball into onrushing strikers paths. He also doesn't seem to come from crosses which ends up with defenders having to concede corners and heaps pressure on the team. This happened a number of times today.

As for the distribution debate, i don't think that can be counted on as both keepers are just about ok at it. Both will cock up and smack the ball straight out of play at least once a match.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
mcshane in the 79th said:
Henderson made some awesome saves today and can see why people want him as Number 1, but I think he's costs us too many goals by palming the ball into onrushing strikers paths. He also doesn't seem to come from crosses which ends up with defenders having to concede corners and heaps pressure on the team. This happened a number of times today.

As for the distribution debate, i don't think that can be counted on as both keepers are just about ok at it. Both will cock up and smack the ball straight out of play at least once a match.

Another Kuipers myth is that is is quick off his line and comes for crosses.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
London Irish said:
Jesus christ, 8 months on and Kuipers is STILL paying for that ? How many times has Hendo f***ed up since then ?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Easy 10 said:
Jesus christ, 8 months on and Kuipers is STILL paying for that ? How many times has Hendo f***ed up since then ?

How many times has Kuipers played since that to f*** up?

Unless you go to training and watch them you dont know what is going on.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Theatre of Trees said:
That is where you are very wrong, saving is a basic skill that you are expected to do. Command of area and distribution are far more important.

I've played in goal for over 20 years and one of the things that always getting me dropped was my poor distribution particularly once the back pass rule came into being in the early 1990s.
Utter bollocks.
How can "saving" be a basic skill that you are expected to do ? How can distribution possibly be "far more important" ? Saving is the most CRUCIAL aspect of being a keeper (I can't even believe I'm having to write this). And Kuipers command of his area has NEVER been a problem either.

If a manager is picking an inferior goalkeeper because he can bowl it out a bit quicker to the fullback, then there is something seriously wrong with his thinking.

Last edited:

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Kinky Gerbils said:
I disagree, but this is gttong boring now!

We all know Roberts was the best.

I agree it is getting boring, and is never going to be settled. BUT, I'm just glad both keepers play for Brighton and we can have this sort of arguement. Wish we could have the same sort of argument over which striker is going to score 20 goals in a season first.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
The Large One said:
You assume completely wrong then. I am well aware of the roles required of a goalkeeper, and I don't need to have ever played in goal to comprehend that. That was a totally unnecessary paragraph for you to write.

Sorry, but your attitude is the same as a lot of people who don't play in goal who seem to think the keeper is there to save shots. You do actually need to play there to understand the finer roles of goalkeeping. Easy 10 is making the same assumption and so have many other people before. It wasn't meant as a dig by the way because many others make the same assumptions and usually turn out never to played the position.

And therein lies my point. And I cannot make this plainer or simpler - that explanation of Kuipers' distribution is a myth - a complete fallacy bordering on fantasy. It simply is not true. His distribution is no better or worse than many keepers we have had here.

See Toad's reply above to this point. Kuipers has never really been able to get direction on his kicking and I've always thought his decision making has been quite slow allowing the opposition to regain their shape once he has the ball. Henderson at least tries to get it quickly going so that we can counter when the opposition's defence is a little disorganised and they are on the back foot and not facing up to the ball. It is part and parcel of today's game that keepers should at least be springboards for attacks.

I couldn't give a shit about the shortcomings of the Crewe goalkeeper, all I want to know is that our goalie is playing well.

The point is he did the same thing in the same position as Henderson but got away with it.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
mcshane in the 79th said:
I agree it is getting boring, and is never going to be settled. BUT, I'm just glad both keepers play for Brighton and we can have this sort of arguement. Wish we could have the same sort of argument over which striker is going to score 20 goals in a season first.

On that we agree

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here