• Undecided

Votes: 16 14.0%

• Total voters

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Kinky Gerbils said:
Three managers whose jobs depend on it have asaid it, and in two of the cases brought new keepers in.

I think most people have spotted Kuipers as no idea where he is kicking the ball.
Personally, I find it hard to believe that the 'distribution' issue was at the centre of the argument for Messrs Coppell, Adams and McGhee (and some on here) about Kuipers.

If we are being told that Kuipers was being dropped on this issue alone, to me it says one of two things. Either (a) they place a disproportionate amount of priority on this one aspect of goalkeeping or (b) it is not the case, and that they don't believe he is as good as the other goalkeeper generally.

Of course I accept that the managers see these players day in, day out and are in a much better position to judge. However, assuming (b) is correct, what they see and what we see appear to be two different things.

There is, of course, a third option - one which I am loathe to speculate on, especially as my evidence is purely anecdotal and not necessarily from highly reliable sources, but is consistent, and has been pretty much since he joined us. So best leave it there.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Easy 10 said:
Christs sake.
If Kuipers was doing AIR SHOTS at his clearances, or scuffing it 15 yards to the feet of the oppositions striker time and time again, then maybe this "distribution" thing might have some merit.

If you're serioously trying to tell me that the team is in some way benefitting from the "superior" distribution of Henderson though, then I think you might need to lay down in a darkened room for a little while.

All I want our goalie to do is to keep the f***ing ball out of that stringy thing behind him. It would also be nice if he could hold onto the shitting thing once in a while, or put it round the post, rather than palming it out to the nearest onrushing defender for an OG, or the nearest forward.
Not MUCH to ask, is it.

Plus - in his last league game Kuipers throw out ended any chance of a result at sheff utd

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
The Large One said:
There is, of course, a third option - one which I am loathe to speculate on, especially as my evidence is purely anecdotal and not necessarily from highly reliable sources, but is consistent, and has been pretty much since he joined us. So best leave it there.
Give us a clue...PM if you want

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Kinky Gerbils said:
Plus - in his last league game Kuipers throw out ended any chance of a result at sheff utd
Ahh, once again for the umpteenth time "Exhibit A" is brought out before the jury in the case for the prosecution of Kuipers.
I'd list of few of Hendo's costly gaffes since that game, but I'd be here all night, and my currys just arrived.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Easy 10 said:
Ahh, once again for the umpteenth time "Exhibit A" is brought out before the jury in the case for the prosecution of Kuipers.
I'd list of few of Hendo's costly gaffes since that game, but I'd be here all night, and my currys just arrived.

Its a bit difficult not to use it its the last time he played against a team in the same league as Brighton.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Easy 10 said:
Utter bollocks.
How can "saving" be a basic skill that you are expected to do ? How can distribution possibly be "far more important" ? Saving is the most CRUCIAL aspect of being a keeper (I can't even believe I'm having to write this). And Kuipers command of his area has NEVER been a problem either.

No it is not. You initially go in goal because you can stop the ball going in the net. From that point you need to have other skills; concentration, distribution, commanding your defence, timing for crosses, knowing when to come and when not to.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Theatre of Trees said:
No it is not. You initially go in goal because you can stop the ball going in the net.
Correct.
So tell me again why Hendo is in ahead of Kuipers ?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Theatre of Trees said:
Sorry, but your attitude is the same as a lot of people who don't play in goal who seem to think the keeper is there to save shots. You do actually need to play there to understand the finer roles of goalkeeping. Easy 10 is making the same assumption and so have many other people before. It wasn't meant as a dig by the way because many others make the same assumptions and usually turn out never to played the position.
That's the second time you've tried to insult my intelligence by implying I don't know what I'm talking about, and for the second time, I'm telling you you're wrong.

By all means offer an opinion about the relative merits of Kuipers and Henderson, and our opinions may (and do) differ, but your history as a goalkeeper, while giving you insight and experience of the finer points of goalkeeping, does not give you absolute knowledge and authority over others to the extent of implying I don't know what I'm talking about.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Kinky Gerbils said:
Its a bit difficult not to use it its the last time he played against a team in the same league as Brighton.
If Kuipers had turned in some of Hendo's displays since that game, he'd already have gone on a free.

Go figure.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I voted Henderson by accident.

Kuipers. Hendo needs to learn to stop palming the ball into the middle of the goal. Too many times now, today's was a ROUTINE save.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
The Large One said:
That's the second time you've tried to insult my intelligence by implying I don't know what I'm talking about, and for the second time, I'm telling you you're wrong.

By all means offer an opinion about the relative merits of Kuipers and Henderson, and our opinions may (and do) differ, but your history as a goalkeeper, while giving you insight and experience of the finer points of goalkeeping, does not give you absolute knowledge and authority over others to the extent of implying I don't know what I'm talking about.

:clap2:

You don't have to be a keeper to see f*** ups or errors

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Easy 10 said:
If Kuipers had turned in some of Hendo's displays since that game, he'd already have gone on a free.

Go figure.

Dont agree that much with LI but whats the iffernce between how Kuipers acted and Knight or CKR? why should he be recalled and not CKR?

Easy 10 said:
Jesus christ, 8 months on and Kuipers is STILL paying for that ? How many times has Hendo f***ed up since then ?

It's not just 8 months ago, it's Kuipers last game but one. It's important to bring it up because there is this myth going around that Kuipers has some papal infallibility in goal and never makes errors. Respectfully, bollocks!

Safeway said:
Don't you lot get bored arguing about the same old things EVERY week?

Of course NOT

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Easy 10 said:
Correct.
So tell me again why Hendo is in ahead of Kuipers ?

Because his distribution is a bit better than Kuipers. For the record I don't care which of them play in goal but if I had to make choice then Henderson just about wins it for the reason above.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Theatre of Trees said:
Because his distribution is a bit better than Kuipers. For the record I don't care which of them play in goal but if I had to make choice then Henderson just about wins it for the reason above.

It doesn't really make that much difference. Hendo kicked 3-4 out for throw ins today, as well as palming a simple catch out to the onrushing striker.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here