Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Labour Party meltdown incoming.......

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I am angry, but not on my own behalf. we are retired and, while not wealthy, do not need to be worried about the winter fuel payment. Our daughters are fine. The elder one in Wales Works for the Welsh Parliament (Senedd) and so sees what goes on in politics at close hand. Mark Drakeford was her hero, and she is very politically aware, although her position demands that she be neutral.
#2 daughter is a doctor, has just moved from being a GP to taking up a post as a breast surgeon, with which she is very happy. But she has moved from being non-political to being very political because of the state of the health service. She proudly went on strike as a junior doctor.
her partner is a teacher, an extremely good science teacher in a school in one of the poorest parts of Coventry, and she loves her job, has like our daughter moved from being nonpolitical to being angry. She proudly shared an email last week she had received from a former pupil thanking her for what she does and saying she is now teaching another of her siblings - the fourth of 5 and Emma has taught all of them so far. They are Afghan refugees, came here with nothing 20 years ago. The oldest one is now a doctor, the second training to be a dentist, the third a research scientist. So it reinforces our liberal views about immigration. Mrs DiS was the principal until she retired of a sixth form college which took numbers of refugees, and she could come up with numerous similar stories.
it’s just as well some of us are angry. It was Jess Phillips, I think, who a couple of years ago said she likes being angry. It’s a motivator. My anger is on behalf of people who are far worse off than myself, and who were treated like Sh1t by the government which we finally got rid of in July.
So you don’t think it’s an issue that our population is rising then, ok then👍

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Oh dear Dave, you sound very angry, i’ve accepted where i sit in society and made my peace long ago, there will always be people with more than me but i never forget there are many with less too, so what’s your view on this country’s ageing and ever growing population adding to the ever growing list of ‘Net Takers’ ?
One answer to an ageing and increasingly longer lived population (with all of the medical and care needs that this implies) is to ensure there is growth in the working and tax paying population. If the birth rate isn't delivering this then immigration can, with an efficient means to assess the right to stay, the opportunity to work and contribute as soon as possible and a recognition that this means more people, more houses, more people infrastructure. Alternatively we could start euthanasia for everyone over 70.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
So you don’t think it’s an issue that our population is rising then, ok then👍
I didn’t say whether or not I think it is an issue that our population is rising.
i would guess you are talking about levels of immigration, in which case I probably don’t think it is as big an issue as you do. People who talk about the country being full are just falling for Farage and co’s hyperbole.
And even if the country is full, we should still treat people with humanity and respect. Even if we wanted to send everyone back, we should still treat them decently while they’re here.
And if we had proper asylum systems whereby people could apply for it without hitting these shores, then maybe not so many would feel the need to turn up here.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Independent schools newly-registered for VAT are using standard registration rules to reclaim on 10 years of capital projects and VATable costs. This basic rule was ‘overlooked’ by the partisan IFS study, on which Labour’s plan rested, and is set to cost HMRC billions

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Independent schools newly-registered for VAT are using standard registration rules to reclaim on 10 years of capital projects and VATable costs. This basic rule was ‘overlooked’ by the partisan IFS study, on which Labour’s plan rested, and is set to cost HMRC billions

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
"The fact that institutions such as Eton College and other elite private schools will be able to attain a net benefit from the change is causing tension within the independent sector, with those running smaller private schools saying it will widen the gap between them and the richest.

They say this is because the less wealthy, smaller schools, whose pupils’ parents may not be so affluent, will generally have to use any money they recoup to keep fees down, while the elite schools will simply use it to boost their balance sheets."

Whichever eejut thought up this brainwave needs to give their head a wobble.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Great news - they can subsidise their customers then for a bit longer ?

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
For the sake of the government, and therefore the country, these leaks really need to stop if they are going to unite the party through what will be some deeply unpopular policies in the coming weeks and months.

The budget is going to smash their popularity further, and the rebels need to shut up and put a brave face on things or I can’t seem Starmer lasting a year, let alone a full term.

• Haha
Reactions: cjd

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
For the sake of the government, and therefore the country, these leaks really need to stop if they are going to unite the party through what will be some deeply unpopular policies in the coming weeks and months.

The budget is going to smash their popularity further, and the rebels need to shut up and put a brave face on things or I can’t seem Starmer lasting a year, let alone a full term.
Memories of Boris when leaks were aplenty, always someone willing to spill the beans

Right Brain Ronnie

Feb 20, 2023
North of North
It's sickening on how bad this bunch are, Starmer is truly so far out of his depth, that I almost feel sorry for him, a lamb to the slaughter.🫣

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here