Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Laura Robson about to win girls title at Wimbledon

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Can I point out she's not actually British? Her mum's Australian, her dad's Australian, various members of her family have represented Australia at different sports, Laura herself was born in Australia and has held a British passport for less than a year.

She's about as British as Zola Budd.

"Robson's father is British Royal Dutch Shell oil executive Andrew Robson, and her mother is Australian sports coach and former professional basketball player Kathy Robson.[3][4] Laura Robson and her family moved from Melbourne to Singapore with her father's work when she was eighteen months old, and then to England when she was six years old.[1]"

About as British as Kevin Peterson or Nasser Hussain (in fact quite a few England cricketers) or Owen Hargreaves or Terry Butcher or John Barnes

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Both her parents are indeed Australian (Times online). But having played tennis here since the age of six, I'm prepared to suggest she is a product of the British Tennis System. Her mother was a basketball player not a tennis coach.

Zola Budd came to the UK minutes before competing in her first event. Not really comparable.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
"Robson's father is British Royal Dutch Shell oil executive Andrew Robson, and her mother is Australian sports coach and former professional basketball player Kathy Robson.[3][4] Laura Robson and her family moved from Melbourne to Singapore with her father's work when she was eighteen months old, and then to England when she was six years old.[1]"

About as British as Kevin Peterson or Nasser Hussain (in fact quite a few England cricketers) or Owen Hargreaves or Terry Butcher or John Barnes
You can't really include Butcher, Hargreaves, Pietersen (or even Greg Rudeski) in that list as they all had at least on British parent. It's just pure luck she's ended up 'British'; if Mr Robson's job had taken him to Canada she'd be 'Canadian'.

However at least with Australian parents she isn't infected with the British 'crap at sport - especially tennis' gene

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Laura Robson

haa_portchar_186x186_cassie_01.jpg

Cassie from 'Home and Away'

http://www.northstandchat.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7486&stc=1&d=1215365503

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Both her parents are indeed Australian (Times online). But having played tennis here since the age of six, I'm prepared to suggest she is a product of the British Tennis System. Her mother was a basketball player not a tennis coach.
I would disagree. She was bought up in an Australian home (albeit not one on Australian soil) with a mother who had already represented her country. All her life Laura would have been exposed to the Australian sporting ethos - and I maintain it was that upbringing that was the reason for her success as opposed to her experiences here.

However I accept that the above is conjecture based on the fact that the Australians tend to whip our arses at most sports, so who knows? Perhaps the LTA have finally got their arses in gear and we can look forward to a few more 'homegrown' tennis stars.

i know that, but see what the bloke above him wrote, thats why i wondered if anyone knew who he was, if it was banter with someone that knew him, or just a member of the public that summed him up straight away???

Probably someone without an NSCer's brain not understanding

Or the latter part

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here