Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Letter from Norman Baker MP

burrish gull

Aug 8, 2003
burrish
I sent a letter to Norman Baker last week detailing my disgust at his attitude towards Falmer, I also said that at the next Election the Lib Dems would now lose my vote and my familys as we were thinking of voting for them.I don't live in Lewes but Burwash, which is a die hard Tory area, but a vote for the Lib Dems would at least try to get them out as a protest vote.

I recieved a letter back from Baker today (hand signed) which proves what a complete idiot he his, in that he has'nt addressed the fact that his party might lose votes but just sent me a stock answer about him never saying he wanted the Albion to die and the reasons he does'nt want Falmer.

I am now going to take this further and contact my local lib Dems and Charles Kennedy, I'm even thinking of starting a campaign in my village against the Lib Dems. I think this is the way forward because there are still enough marginal seats for them in Sussex and losing votes because of Bakers stance could damage them.

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your letter concerning the proposed stadium at Falmer.

Can I first assure you that the words ascribed to me on the Albion website wre not actually uttered by me. Contrary to the somewhat misleading content of that site, I neither said that I would rather see the club die, or even that I would rather die, before seeing a stadium built at Falmer. This is disgraceful twisting of my words.

I am pleased we have the Albion locally and cetainly do not want the club to die. Nor however do I want Falmer ruined-I believe it is possible to achieve both objectives.

I do understand the strong feeling on this issue, but I simply do not feel it is right to build a stadium at Falmer. I have taken this position as I am convinced that there are other sites and that the club will survive and prosper. This is consistent with the position that I have taken since the Spring of 2000.

I am sorry that we cannot agree on this issue, but I would thank you for contacting me. This has, at least, given me the opportunity to assure you that I do value the Albion.

I attach the statement I read out at the inquiry so that you are aware of my actual position, as opposed to the rather emotive one sometimes ascribed to me.

Yours sincerely,

Norman Baker

burrish gull

Aug 8, 2003
burrish
Heres my reply to Baker

Dear Mr Baker,

I thank you for your reply that I recieved today. I was already more than aware of the your stance on the building of the stadium at Falmer, but you have not addressed my question about your party losing my vote.

I do not even live in Lewes but Burwash, but I will not vote Lib Dem at the next election directly because of your stance which I feel effects all the Albion supporters and community in the Burwash area.

Surely this is of some concern to your party as places like Burwash traditionally are Tory voters, who given the current state of that party, might just vote for you.

The Lib Dems have now lost myself, my partner, my father, my mother and my Aunt who were all definety going to vote, I just wonder what Charles Kennedy would make of that when I contact him about this matter.

In my opinion there is nowhere else to build a viable stadium in the Brighton and Hove area and this will be proved at the current inquiry.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Perhaps you should be writing to your local liberal candidate, infact perhaps we all should to make them aware that their colleagues support is costing them votes.

burrish gull

Aug 8, 2003
burrish
Yep, Im doing that, I really do feel this may be the way forward. It would'nt damage the clubs image because this is a political issue that effects the WHOLE of Sussex not just Brighton and Hove. I'm in the middle of writing to Charles Kennedy now, lets see what he thinks!!

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Please also add that they will be losing my family's vote and a lot of other Lewes residents votes as a direct result of the Lib Dems actions over Falmer. I'm waiting for their representetive to come canvassing at my door....he'll get it with both barrels.

:bowdown: Burish Gull

burrish gull

Aug 8, 2003
burrish
Letter to Charles Kennedy

Think he drinks pints of Whiskey like Mark Mcghee?

Dear Mr Kennedy,

I am writing to you about my concerns about the current position of Mr Norman Baker MP and the building of a stadium for Brighton and Hove Albion FC at Falmer. You are probably aware of this emotive issue and hopefully like everyone else see the ridiculous situation the club are in.

There is nowhere else to build a stadium in Brighton, Mr Baker knows that but he and Lewes District council are doing their best to ruin the club that I and many people love.

I have written to Mr Baker detailing that I will not now be voting Lib Dem (along with four members of my family) at the next election because of his stance on the matter. I do not live in Lewes and have no way of voting against Mr Baker, but live a short journey away in Burwash which comes under the Bexhill voting area.

Traditionally this have been a die hard Tory area but I'm sure given the current state of that party you would be looking to gain votes not lose them.

The area is in desperate need of a modern sporting arena. This issue effects the whole of Sussex and not just Brighton and Hove and I feel that by ignoring this fact the Lib Dems are being very short sighted.

In his reply, Mr Baker, did not seem concerned about this at all and I would be interested to know your stance on this and the building of the stadium at Falmer.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Re: Letter to Charles Kennedy

burrish gull said:
Think he drinks pints of Whiskey like Mark Mcghee?

Dear Mr Kennedy,

I am writing to you about my concerns about the current position of Mr Norman Baker MP and the building of a stadium for Brighton and Hove Albion FC at Falmer. You are probably aware of this emotive issue and hopefully like everyone else see the ridiculous situation the club are in.

There is nowhere else to build a stadium in Brighton, Mr Baker knows that but he and Lewes District council are doing their best to ruin the club that I and many people love.

I have written to Mr Baker detailing that I will not now be voting Lib Dem (along with four members of my family) at the next election because of his stance on the matter. I do not live in Lewes and have no way of voting against Mr Baker, but live a short journey away in Burwash which comes under the Bexhill voting area.

Traditionally this have been a die hard Tory area but I'm sure given the current state of that party you would be looking to gain votes not lose them.

The area is in desperate need of a modern sporting arena. This issue effects the whole of Sussex and not just Brighton and Hove and I feel that by ignoring this fact the Lib Dems are being very short sighted.

In his reply, Mr Baker, did not seem concerned about this at all and I would be interested to know your stance on this and the building of the stadium at Falmer.

Kennedy will just say he sympathises but he's leave it up to local candidates to make local lib dem policy. You mark my words!

The Lib Dems are so useless as local level, god forbid they ever take Government.

burrish gull

Aug 8, 2003
burrish
Re: Re: Letter to Charles Kennedy

Biscuit said:
Kennedy will just say he sympathises but he's leave it up to local candidates to make local lib dem policy. You mark my words!

The Lib Dems are so useless as local level, god forbid they ever take Government.

I agree with you mate, but Im going try and get a story in the Kent And Sussex Courier, my mate is a journalist there and they are definetly intersted in this. It would be the best way to get the issue out there locally and upset a few NIMBY Lib Dems in the process.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
jevs said:
I'm waiting for their representetive to come canvassing at my door....he'll get it with both barrels.

You're going to shoot him? I know I'm passionate about Falmer but that sounds a little too harsh :jester:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Muzzman said:
You're going to shoot him? I know I'm passionate about Falmer but that sounds a little too harsh :jester:
No it doesn't.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
I got the exact same letter from Mr Baker in email format about 18 months ago, when he was first alleged to have said that he would rather us die than get Falmer.

burrish gull

Aug 8, 2003
burrish
samparish said:
I got the exact same letter from Mr Baker in email format about 18 months ago, when he was first alleged to have said that he would rather us die than get Falmer.

That gives me an even better argument, cheers mate. My journalist friend at the Kent And Sussex Courier is very interested in doing a story on this, watch this space.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
burrish gull said:
That gives me an even better argument, cheers mate. My journalist friend at the Kent And Sussex Courier is very interested in doing a story on this, watch this space.

Just checked my inbox and it's not there any more unfortunately though, sorry.

burrish gull

Aug 8, 2003
burrish
Anyone know how easy hard it would be to stand against them under my own party at the next General Election? I'm in the Bexhill and Battle ward. Any advice?

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Not that hard I would have thought. But quite expensive. And the Lib Dems will probably appreciate someone else taking votes from the Tories...

edited for typo

Last edited:

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Very easy provided you're over 21. I think you have to pay a £500 fee which is refunded if you get a certain percentage of the vote (think it may be 1% but not sure).

LEWES CLIFF

Mar 7, 2004
Rumour is he is shitting himself as so many Lewes people are saying the same thing about wasted council tax etc,he sent us all a letter canvassing last week,fortantly i had a vindaloo the previous night so it came in very handy!!BAKER OUT!!ELECTION DAY protest about him outside polling booths?

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
What is it with Lib Dems and the Albion. First Belloti got invovled and then Baker. What is the position with the Lib Dems on B&HC? Are they pro or anti falmer? I notice that the tory candidate for Hove is making a big issue of falmer in his leaflets. This just goes to show what a strong political infulence Falmer is turning out to be.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here