Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Liverpool vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Can somebody explain why VAR didnt pick up the fact that the corner for the 2nd goal was not in or touching the quadrant, or didnt appear to be, so should have been retaken. I thought this on the stream and looked out for it on MOTD and showed to be correct.

Last edited:

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Can somebody explain why VAR didnt pick up thge fact that the corner for the 2nd goal was not in or touching the quadrant so should have been retaken. I thought this on the stream and looked out for it on MOTD and showed to be correct.

Doesn’t have to.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Can somebody explain why VAR didnt pick up thge fact that the corner for the 2nd goal was not in or touching the quadrant so should have been retaken. I thought this on the stream and looked out for it on MOTD and showed to be correct.

Whole of the ball / whole of the line - you must know this by now??

Capture.JPG

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am not sure of the actual rule but thought that some part of the ball had to be in or touching the lines of the quadrant, which it wasnt so when checking VAR should have picked it up IMHO and the goal disallowed for an infringement.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
I am not sure of the actual rule but thought that some part of the ball had to be in or touching the lines of the quadrant, which it wasnt so when checking VAR should have picked it up IMHO and the goal disallowed for an infringement.

Seriously?

Are you one of the ones who scream at the linos when it hasn't gone out?

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

That isn’t the rule.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Not read thus thread but walking back to Sandhills after game was no shortage of scousers moaning to each other about how crap we made them look at times

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I dont think that in this instance it was and also I have just watched MOTD from last night and it seems that is the case for most corners very few seem to adhere to that ruling.

The ball doesn't have to touch the line - just some of the ball has to be above part of the line. The ones I saw yesterday looked good to me.

I watched the game with [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION] and I very nearly passed comment on how you don't get fans screaming about the ball not being in the quadrant any more, possibly illustrating that most fans finally understand the law.

Regardless, it doesn't matter. We're talking millimetres. If we're not capable of basic marking and defending from set pieces, where the ball starts from is the least of our concerns.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The position of the ball is very important as it affects the angle of delivery but that isnt the point. The whole point of VAR is to ensure that all goals scored conform 100% to the requirements of the law hence goals are disallowed when a players finger nails are offside which is totally irrelevant to the actual scoring of the goal.....So if it is correct for thus one aspect of the rules then it should be applied to all or if agreed allow slight deviation of the rules, which nobody wants to ensure clarity and uniformity.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The position of the ball is very important as it affects the angle of delivery but that isnt the point. The whole point of VAR is to ensure that all goals scored conform 100% to the requirements of the law hence goals are disallowed when a players finger nails are offside which is totally irrelevant to the actual scoring of the goal.....So if it is correct for thus one aspect of the rules then it should be applied to all or if agreed allow slight deviation of the rules, which nobody wants to ensure clarity and uniformity.

It seems everyone is clear about the rules other than you.

I'm out. Carry on if you want to.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

VAR didn't need to check at the ball was clearly overhanging the line. As others have told you the ball need only break the plane of the arc or the touch- or goal lines to be considered in the proper position.

It's consistent with the ruling that the whole of the ball must be over the whole of the line for elsewhere on the pitch.

I checked him on wiki and it showed 1.93meters = 6ft 4.5in so I will not argue about 1 inch as he still missed the header for the 2nd due to VVD movement. As I have said more practice needed at Lancing to sort these problems out.

Wikipedia clearly lists him at 1.92m/6ft 4. There have been no changes made to the Lewis Dunk page since 10th November so I call shenanigans on you checking anything. And seeing as the two goals from VVD were the first headed goals we've let in all season it looks like we have been working on it at Lancing quite successfully until 2 world class players combined to score.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I dont think that in this instance it was and also I have just watched MOTD from last night and it seems that is the case for most corners very few seem to adhere to that ruling.

It was very close, but fairly certain it was just about overhanging the line therefore okay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

razer

Mar 10, 2019
Ormskirk, Lancashire
I do not profess to be a football expert but I thought we were pretty good yesterday for 75% of the game. We were outdone not by two good VVD headers but by the excellent dead ball delivery of Alexander Trent-Arnold. The way he can pick out his team members with a pinpoint accurate cross is awesome.

Propper, Dunk and Mooy stood out for me and when Connolly runs full pelt at defenders they look scared of him. More Connolly time please. His goals will come and I love his tenacity.

Liverpool weren't in second gear, they were given a hard game by a team that IMHO seems to be on the cusp of winning regularly, even against the big boys. Whilst this may sound obvious, I think we are just missing a clinical finisher. In most games we seem to create a lot of chances but simply don't put them away. Maupay is just not cutting it (yet) for me.

The (at times) poor defending is generally against a pacy front line which we just don't seem to be able to cope with and if that could be resolved, again we should see some better results.

We are very close to being a very good Premier League team.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I checked him on wiki and it showed 1.93meters = 6ft 4.5in so I will not argue about 1 inch as he still missed the header for the 2nd due to VVD movement. As I have said more practice needed at Lancing to sort these problems out.

First goals conceded this season in that way would suggest we really don’t ..but hey you know best.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here