Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Liverpool vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
VAR didn't need to check at the ball was clearly overhanging the line. As others have told you the ball need only break the plane of the arc or the touch- or goal lines to be considered in the proper position.

It's consistent with the ruling that the whole of the ball must be over the whole of the line for elsewhere on the pitch.

Wikipedia clearly lists him at 1.92m/6ft 4. There have been no changes made to the Lewis Dunk page since 10th November so I call shenanigans on you checking anything. And seeing as the two goals from VVD were the first headed goals we've let in all season it looks like we have been working on it at Lancing quite successfully until 2 world class players combined to score.

You are correct and I must have misread it as I am sure that I read 1.93 meters, somewhere but will accept that I could be wrong.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Just got back, just a quick 'Bravo' to the Dad letting his son stand on the seat, blocking many views behind, despite several requests.
Nice.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I dont think that in this instance it was and also I have just watched MOTD from last night and it seems that is the case for most corners very few seem to adhere to that ruling.

See Post #648 - I put a screenshot of the actual corner you were referring to. A bit of the ball clearly overhangs the line.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
I think Skaville in post 607 is the first to highlight the fabulous through ball from Webster for Trossard which led to the red card. I know his defending is still error-prone but that Dunk-like pass is why GP will stick with him I think. It was a great pass.
As I’ve said before I loved CH and believe he will ALWAYS be an Albion legend. Personally though I am enjoying this season far more than last

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I accept that but feel that as in your screen shot the 'red spot' should be touching the line and the rule adjusted accordingly to insist on that.

So would the rule have to change for throw ins and goals as well, as at the moment the rule is a consistent all of the ball over all of the line across the whole pitch?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
So would the rule have to change for throw ins and goals as well, as at the moment the rule is a consistent all of the ball over all of the line across the whole pitch?

No just for corners, change it to Part of the ball must be either in the quadrant or touching the line rather than hanging over the line which is always debatable, touching is a definitive it is or not

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003
No just for corners, change it to Part of the ball must be either in the quadrant or touching the line rather than hanging over the line which is always debatable, touching is a definitive it is or not

The whole of the ball over the whole of the line is not debatable, it's based on fact. It's only you that seems to have this idea the rule needs to be changed, everyone else seems to understand it.

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
Some were so close no way should they have been flagged under current laws. Mind you Connolly should have continued his run and completed his attack. If he was onside then they would have had to let it stand.

We don't get in the face of the ref enough. Too nice I'm afraid.

On yesterdays evidence , if someone did , Atkinson would've carded , probably straight red :annoyed:

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Some were so close no way should they have been flagged under current laws. Mind you Connolly should have continued his run and completed his attack. If he was onside then they would have had to let it stand.

We don't get in the face of the ref enough. Too nice I'm afraid.

As just proved by Leicester. linesmen should be told not to flag, Iheanacho ignored the flag, put the ball in. VAR gave the goal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I’ve just seen the goals, did Ryan pull his arms away from first ?

Looked weird

Yes, like he shrinks when shots go upward. . . . .it is strange, I think it's because he puts more emphasis on getting down quickly to stop low shots. . . . . As he did superbly a few times.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
As just proved by Leicester. linesmen should be told not to flag, Iheanacho ignored the flag, put the ball in. VAR gave the goal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So the next bun fight will be defending players stop because of a flag but the ref hasn't whistled . . . . Just bin VAR is the obvious answer, although we do need a technology based cheat avoidance system.

The 2 ex sky bellends were on my stream yesterday, they just referred to it as the goal avoidance system. Look hard enough, and you can't find a reason to dissallow one

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The whole of the ball over the whole of the line is not debatable, it's based on fact. It's only you that seems to have this idea the rule needs to be changed, everyone else seems to understand it.

We seem to be at cross purposes here as the rule isnt the whole of the ball over the whole of the line for corners. I agree it should be for throw in goals etc but my point is some of the ball should be touching or inside of the line for corners.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009

If part of the ball was touching the line, nearly half the ball would be inside the quadrant, I think you are confusing yourself.....again

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003
We seem to be at cross purposes here as the rule isnt the whole of the ball over the whole of the line for corners. I agree it should be for throw in goals etc but my point is some of the ball should be touching or inside of the line for corners.

We are not at cross purposes at all, it is you simply don't understand the rule. As I previously posted the ball need only break the plane of the arc or the touch- or goal lines to be considered in the proper position at a corner. This translates as the ball is not correctly positioned when whole of the ball is over the whole of the line.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We are not at cross purposes at all, it is you simply don't understand the rule. As I previously posted the ball need only break the plane of the arc or the touch- or goal lines to be considered in the proper position at a corner. This translates as the ball is not correctly positioned when whole of the ball is over the whole of the line.

Nothing to do with arcs IMHO the ball should be touching the line at some point for a corner, nothing else, and the rule should be adjusted accordingly, just my opinion. This would bring clarity and easy enforcement.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here