Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lower league Pompey

tubaman

Nov 2, 2009
A club that can't afford its players is cheating even before administration comes along. Their assets (including players) should be stripped away to pay off the debts before they are allowed to continue trading (playing football). If this was the case there would be no need to deduct more than 10 points.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
just goes to show ,how sensible mr bloom is with his wage structure

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
A club that can't afford its players is cheating even before administration comes along. Their assets (including players) should be stripped away to pay off the debts before they are allowed to continue trading (playing football). If this was the case there would be no need to deduct more than 10 points.
That's not too realistic, as they'd have to sell every player before their next game, and they wouldn't be able to play it as they'd have no players, so the club would be out of the league. But I agree with the idea that the club should have to sell their valuable players, and they don't get to choose how much to accept, an independent panel/administrator does. Forget the 10 points, force them to sell to pay their creditors. Let them get relegated, and possibly the following season too.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The problem is who decides who are their valuable players the only way it could be done is to take action against their biggest earners but then you may fall foul of employment laws and contracts if the FL said their maxumum wage would be reduced.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
How much of that 88% goes towards the entirely reasonable and value for money wages being collected by Glenn Murray?

Is he the guy who's usually on the subs bench lately?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
My reading of FL regs is that it will only (can only) be a 10 point deduction for Pompey but if they don't make payments under their current CVA (due April) that may well change.

If they apply for administration (because they are currently subject to a CVA) the rules require them to physically apply to the court. They have to prove that they can fund continuing operations and that means providing the court with a thorough financial statement. HMRC would be ill advised to withdraw its winding up petition unless Pompey agree to a schedule of payments which seems unlikely so the court will decide whether to approve administration and nullify the WUP or to proceed with the WUP hearing scheduled for 20th Feb.

If the court approves PFC entering admin again they will get the 10 point deduction. I would expect HMRC to object to the current administrator continuing on the grounds that he has failed in his duties - such an objection has never, as far as I know, worked. But this might just be the first time.

If the court refuses to allow a further period of administration then the winding up petition goes ahead. I don't think this is likely but you never know. If it is clear from the financial statement that the club won't be able to meet its obligation under the last CVA then it could very well happen. What is interesting is that they haven't been able to get a validation order to free up their bank accounts and THAT is unusual in the circumstances and could just be an indicator that what the club describe as a cash flow issue could actually be insolvency.

Last edited:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
only 10 pts would be a disgrace. Doesn't even put them in the bottom three.

Agreed.

Twitter is full of whining Pompey fans blaming the Football League and suggesting this is the worst thing ever to happen to any football club. What, dropping to the lower end of the Championship? Not even into the bottom three.

Don't you just WISH our shit times had been that good? What would Plymouth give to be in such a bad place? Every time I even vaguely start to feel for their fans, one of them handily reminds me exactly what it is I despise about them. Self pity as far as the eye can see.

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
f***ing delighted with this news.

What goes around comes around you skate fucks, it's been 7 years but finally the natural order has been resumed

WHO THE f*** IS LAUGHING NOW?

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
That's clearly madness, but surely it's only a small minority of fans that think that? All clubs have their share of idiots.

Normally I would agree with you but Pompey seem to have more than most. As one example amongst many, this is what one said on the Portsmouth newspaper 10 minutes ago about receiving some money from the Premier League:

If we've got enough left over from wages etc do you think we could maybe get a couple of loans in? Simeon Jackson maybe?

In other words we don't need to pay anybody else that we owe, including the tax man, if we can pay the wages! It really beggars belief.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It really beggars belief.
Indeed it does. I guess this is what happens when these clubs are allowed to carry on as if nothing happened.

But who are we blaming, the FA? Actually, although the ones that suffer are the creditors, isn't this their fault? When they are offered 1p in the pound, shouldn't the say 'no'? Isn't it the job of the receiver to sell the players to pay them back? If the creditors accept a deal, I don't see why the FA should add further penalties.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Makes me wonder if Tony has it all wrong. Even 10p in the £ would save him over 90MILLION

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
f***ing delighted with this news.

What goes around comes around you skate fucks, it's been 7 years but finally the natural order has been resumed

WHO THE f*** IS LAUGHING NOW?
Yeah. They've got to two cup finals, won one of them, stayed in the Prem competing with Man Utd etc by paying Sulley Muntari wages they can't afford, stiffed local businesses and charities, continued to pay £20k a week for players in the Championship on gates of 14,000 - but of course now they've been deducted ten points to drop them to 4th bottom that really has taught them a harsh lesson.

FFS. :rolleyes:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Yeah. They've got to two cup finals, won one of them, stayed in the Prem competing with Man Utd etc by paying Sulley Muntari wages they can't afford, stiffed local businesses and charities, continued to pay £20k a week for players in the Championship on gates of 14,000 - but of course now they've been deducted ten points to drop them to 4th bottom that really has taught them a harsh lesson.

They havent had any points deducted yet as they are not in administration until after the court hearing on Friday was how I understood it from Meridian.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

this. As Jimmy Greaves liked to say"it's a funny old game".

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
Here's another priceless quote from down the road:

Can we get some loans in once we're in admin. our squad won't be able to keep playing twice a week without decent replacements. I know the league was watching all signings but can we trade if in admin - surely it's only fair to have a level playing field.

I nearly choked on my coffee reading that. So all they want is a 'level playing field', well if they do get one it will be the first time they have in the last 10 years. What about the 'level playing field' they had when they were spunking millions they didn't have buying and paying players they couldn't afford to try and stay in the Premiership or win the Cup. I'm sorry but I know there are decent Pompey fans who probably don't deserve this but a lot of them are still looking at this as if its some sort of game.

They and football need to be taught a lesson and soon!

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
if its a club you like, you lot are the first to arrange a quick charity club wank as its portsmouth you are all ready to throw them to the dogs let the fucker learn blah blah blah. Is it really the loyal pompey fan's fault that the club has been owned by C**ts who havent payed their taxes? Are you responsible for making sure TB pays Albion taxes? I would have thought you would go by the saying of there but the grace of god go i? No not for pompey hypocrital bollox as usual.
Agree,it's not the loyal fans fault as we well know with the Archer/Bellotti/Stanley era.Bad business kills football,as much as I love to beat Pompey,there is no way I would want them to fold.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I can safely say that I want them to go bust now. I do feel for the fans that are genuine and not taking the piss like most of them but they are the ones that will stick with a new club, as most of us would have had to in those dark times.

Saltydog

Aug 29, 2011
Ocean Wave
Anyone heard what is going on at Kettering? I have heard something about Peterborough playing them for free to raise funds but unable to locate details.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The court hearing on Friday may decide to refuse the club the choice to go into administration and allow the winding up order to be heard on the 20th.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here