Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lower league Pompey

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
Is there any prospect that they could actually be kicked out of the league mid season?
If this happened I guess all points gained against them would be wiped out, how would this affect the table?

Its perfectly possible & has happened before in 1991 when Aldershot went belly up halfway through the season. The biggest winners in a points adjustment would obviously be those who had lost twice to The Skates. If any team has done the double over them this season, they're going to be royally pissed off.

There was an adjusted table knocking around somewhere showing what the table would look like if Portsmouth were booted that day. The longer the season goes on, the bigger any potential upheaval will be.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
What is your point wrt the Administrators then - Kitson and Lawrence were the makeweights in a deal involving a Pompey player going to Stoke?

It was a player + cash deal , the annual wages Kitson & Lawrence were signed on for far exceeded the money received for Wilson.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Having shifted Husseklep's wages to Birmingham (and I suspect Futaks may follow him out of the loan door) the signs are clear - this administrator will do the job impartially that the last one failed to do because he was in the owner's pocket.

The result will be that they will limp to the end of the season and relegation which frankly is exactly the punishment that serial mismanagement deserves. Hopefully at that point they will find a buyer - as one of their supporters said - "it will be just as they put the padlocks on the doors if at all". For the real fans I would like to think they can start in League 1 next season. As Saints and Leeds and Huddersfield and Leicester and Norwich and Luton, and Charlton and Sheffield (Utd and Wednesday) can all attest, getting out of league 1 is no gimme no matter how "big" a club you may once have been.

I have, as some may have noted, conducted something of a personal jihad against Portsmouth, mainly becaue the denial on the part of their management and fans that the way they had so cynically manipulated their own finances and the obvious inadequecies of the football authorities to both line their own pockets (if the likes of Mandaric and Redknapp and Storrie are regarded as "innocent" in the wider sense then there is something very wrong with our society, let alone our chosen sport) and to gain unfair and unacceptable advantage over their rivals.

The malaise at Portsmouth has - with some success - been presented to the public as being solely the result of mismanagement by the two most recent owners, Gaydamark and Chanrai, but the stark reality is that it goes back much further than that.

I do agree with the current administrator, that there is a fine line between the advantage gained by clubs operating a deficit financing model sustained by owners with seemingly bottomless pockets and those operating the same model with less resource available. The fact is simply that the latter should not seek to compete where they cannot afford to go. Does that mean a two or even a three or four tier structure to football? Of course it does! The likes of Norwich and Swansea and West Brom - even the established older clubs like Blackburn or Villa - are only guests on the fringe of the top table. Some will stay longer than others but for all bar the very few it is a moveable feast. Lower down, clubs such as ourselves may aspire to occassionally supping at the top table but we will never be permanently resident there. To continue the analogy - if you are invited to the Palace do you splash all your spare cash and then borrow more to spend on some super posh threads, or do you go out and hire just what you need for the occassion? Portsmouth bought the crown jewels with money they never had!

I am sure as the season progresses I will have moments of anxiety when it appears that Portsmouth might escape the relegation but hopefully come mid-May I will be cheering them to the drop. If by July they have a buyer and a club that can be sustained at its new level, then fair enough. A word of warning though. Reportedly Tal Ben Haim earns £36K a week and his contract has two years to run. If he wants to sit it out there is little that can be done as it is hard to imagine any other club being prepared to go near that level of remuneration. Lawrence, Kitson and Norris each earn £20K a week and have a year to run on their contracts after this season. Kanu is on around £15K as is recent re-signing Benjani who, even when they have been desperate for numbers hasn't been rated good enough to play. Pearce is one of the lower paid on £7.5K - double what other championship clubs felt he was worth - and has two years to run. It is a list to match the club's catastrophic mismanagement and, unless they can somehow move some of those liabilities, getting anyone to invest in the club's long term future is going to be a massive challenge.

Last edited:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Last time around. I predicted they would go under and not get out of the mess. This time it looks just as serious. I think they are going bust. Whether before the end of season is in question?

Portsmouth 2011-2012 Home - statto.com

I think they will make it up to the 10 March 2012 though.

£20k - £30 K is Premiership wages for clubs like Wigan for their star players. .

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Nothing but nothing gives more pleasure (unless it is telling the same truths on their own forums :rolleyes:)

I'm with you, SG. Having received regular hate mail from their deluded fans over several years for telling the truth about what was going on and being accused, like many other members of the national media, of having an anti-Pompey agenda (blimey, imagine what they'd have said if the lawyers had allowed me to write half the stuff I knew was going on but couldn't prove to their satisfaction), it's utterly wonderful to see it all hitting home. I even had an apology from one of their fans the other day, several years on, but some still live in a bizarro universe in which they should be allowed to sign even more loan players that they can't afford. I've got very little sympathy - actually, none at all, come to think of it - for the 99% of their fans who looked the other way and accused the press of telling lies rather than wondering whether we might know something and demanding the truth from their owners. Personally, knowing where the money came from to fund it, I think they should have their FA Cup win removed from the record books.

But it's not just on the playing side that they've been failing to deal with reality. Since they were relegated, their weekly press conferences have been attended mostly by the local paper, the brown-nosing Meridian and occasionally BBC South. Oh, and a local radio station that they used to own. Yet this season took on an extra full-time press officer. She has now been made redundant - tough on her, but who on earth sanctioned this further waste of money? The useless Lampitt, one supposes.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Having shifted Husselkep's wages to Birmingham (and I suspect Futaks may follow him out of the loan door) the signs are clear - this administrator will do the job impartially that the last one failed to do because he was in the owner's pocket.

The result will be that they will limp to the end of the season and relegation which frankly is exactly the punishment that serial mismanagement deserves. Hopefully at that point they will find a buyer - as one of their supporters said - "it will be just as they put the padlocks on the doors if at all". For the real fans I would like to think they can start in League 1 next season. As Saints and Leeds and Huddersfield and Leicester and Norwich and Luton, and Charlton and Sheffield (Utd and Wednesday) can all attest, getting out of league 1 is no gimme no matter how "big" a club you may once have been.

I have, as some may have noted, conducted something of a personal jihad against Portsmouth, mainly becaue the denial on the part of their management and fans that the way they had so cynically manipulated their own finances and the obvious inadequecies of the football authorities to both line their own pockets (if the likes of Mandaric and Redknapp and Storrie are regarded as "innocent" in the wider sense then there is something very wrong with our society, let alone our chosen sport) and to gain unfair and unacceptable advantage over their rivals.

The malaise at Portsmouth has - with some success - been presented to the public as being solely the result of mismanagement by the two most recent owners, Gaydamark and Chanrai, but the stark reality is that it goes back much further than that.

I do agree with the current administrator, that there is a fine line between the advantage gained by clubs operating a deficit financing model sustained by owners with seemingly bottomless pockets and those operating the same model with less resource available. The fact is simply that the latter should not seek to compete where they cannot afford to go. Does that mean a two or even a three or four tier structure to football? Of course it does! The likes of Norwich and Swansea and West Brom - even the established older clubs like Blackburn or Villa - are only guests on the fringe of the top table. Some will stay longer than others but for all bar the very few it is a moveable feast. Lower down, clubs such as ourselves may aspire to occassionally supping at the top table but we will never be permanently resident there. To continue the analogy - if you are invited to the Palace do you splash all your spare cash and then borrow more to spend on some super posh threads, or do you go out and hire just what you need for the occassion? Portsmouth bought the crown jewels with money they never had!

I am sure as the season progresses I will have moments of anxiety when it appears that Portsmouth might escape the relegation but hopefully come mid-May I will be cheering them to the drop. If by July they have a buyer and a club that can be sustained at its new level, then fair enough. A word of warning though. Reportedly Tal Ben Haim earns £36K a week and his contract has two years to run. If he wants to sit it out there is little that can be done as it is hard to imagine any other club being prepared to go near that level of remuneration. Lawrence, Kitson and Norris each earn £20K a week and have a year to run on their contracts after this season. Kanu is on around £15K as is recent re-signing Benjani who, even when they have been desperate for numbers hasn't been rated good enough to play. Pearce is one of the lower paid on £7.5K - double what other championship clubs felt he was worth - and has two years to run. It is a list to match the club's catastrophic mismanagement and, unless they can somehow move some of those liabilities, getting anyone to invest in the club's long term future is going to be a massive challenge.

I think you actually hate Pompey even more than me, or Edna. This is quite some achievement. :clap:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I was rather amused by Warren Aspinall on the commentary last night when asked about Razak turning down Portsmouth and signing for us he said it was because we are a bigger club than Portsmouth with more prospects and ambition plus he added he would also get paid.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
But it's not just on the playing side that they've been failing to deal with reality. Since they were relegated, their weekly press conferences have been attended mostly by the local paper, the brown-nosing Meridian and occasionally BBC South. Oh, and a local radio station that they used to own. Yet this season took on an extra full-time press officer. She has now been made redundant - tough on her, but who on earth sanctioned this further waste of money? The useless Lampitt, one supposes.

Ha ha. You don't think Neil Allen is going to win independent investigative reporter of the year award then :lol:

TigheRade

Feb 3, 2012
Jokes aside, it is tragic in terms of football to see a club in this much trouble. Whatever the reasons for this shambolic mess the fans do not deserve their club to go under. I also loathe Southampton so anything that gives them joy upsets me. Pompey do have to suffer a larger points deduction though, for this has become a farce.

I do genuinely hope Portsmouth save their club but some serious points and restrictions have to be put on them, for they seem to have been playing on their own rules for too long. Any football fan that would happily see a club go out of business is rather short sighted and obviously not really interested in football.

You have to be a proud Albion fan, that despite no ground for all those years, we never ended up in administration like so many others.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Ha ha. You don't think Neil Allen is going to win independent investigative reporter of the year award then :lol:

At least Neil isn't a fan, unlike most of his colleagues at The News, and he has been banned by the club in the past, of course - when the appalling Gary Double was in charge of press (for £130,000 per year, incredibly - not bad money for answering his mobile two or three times a week and saying 'You guess is as good as mine, mate.'). But I think they want their news people to do the digging these days.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
You have to be a proud Albion fan, that despite no ground for all those years, we never ended up in administration like so many others.

Indeed - for all his detractors we owe an enormous debt of thanks to Dick Knight. Perhaps there is some benefit after all to being "potless" if the alternative was a Mandaric or a Gaydamark

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
If I might ask the right honourable ladies and gentlemen of NSC, are Pompey coming for the day, or are they looking to set up camp in the South Stand concourse?

TigheRade

Feb 3, 2012
Indeed - for all his detractors we owe an enormous debt of thanks to Dick Knight. Perhaps there is some benefit after all to being "potless" if the alternative was a Mandaric or a Gaydamark

I completely agree. Okay they had an F.A Cup win and some Premiership football but look at them now. We have had 4 promotions, a new ground and stability in the same amount of time. Dick Knight deserves a stand named after him IMO. Although the 'Dick' jokes would run and run with away fans.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

I am proud of the people at the club who managed to keep us going as a football club, deliver a couple of league titles, a playoff win, fight LDC and a host of others to get the stadium built but never let the club go into administration. Then TB took over, delivered another title and built our new stadium. We survived under much tougher circumstances than Portsmouth or Palace yet both of those shitty clubs needed two administrations to try and correct their mismanagement of money.

When I see the cretins from Palace on here gloating about how long they've been in a higher position than us, Portsmouth fans gloating about a Cup win and European nights and generally taking the piss out of our struggles I'm reminded by the above that we are so much better than both shitty, dishonourable, debt avoiding, tax dodging clubs.

I hope Portsmouth get wound up-they deserve nothing less. The added bonus to that would be Fred Dinneage would be distraught.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I am proud of the people at the club who managed to keep us going as a football club, deliver a couple of league titles, a playoff win, fight LDC and a host of others to get the stadium built but never let the club go into administration. Then TB took over, delivered another title and built our new stadium. We survived under much tougher circumstances than Portsmouth or Palace yet both of those shitty clubs needed two administrations to try and correct their mismanagement of money.

When I see the cretins from Palace on here gloating about how long they've been in a higher position than us, Portsmouth fans gloating about a Cup win and European nights and generally taking the piss out of our struggles I'm reminded by the above that we are so much better than both shitty, dishonourable, debt avoiding, tax dodging clubs.

I hope Portsmouth get wound up-they deserve nothing less. The added bonus to that would be Fred Dinneage would be distraught.

A post worthy of an almighty THIS!

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

And look at the part the fans have played here - from Atilla standing up on the player' tunnel, to Fans United, to the petitions, everything. What did the self-styled "best fans in the world" at nottarF kraP do? Whinge about the media until even they finally had to admit that all might not have been completely kosher ...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here