Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lower league Pompey

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Birch also admitted that he is at a loss as to how Portsmouth have got themselves into such a dire situation. "The club is in a default position. It is left with a foot-print around the stadium that they don't own, they don't own the training ground and they don't own the academy. It leaves you asking 'where has it all gone?', and I can't answer that question."

The last people that are ever asked questions by administrators, officials, fans, anyone really, are journalists who have been paid to find things out about football clubs (although, to be fair, Tony Adams did admit to me last summer that he should have listened to some of us when we tried to warn him about what sort of club he was managing, instead of telling us that he'd had guarantees from the owner). If he wants to give me a call, I can tell him that a lot of it was moved into bank accounts in the Virgin Islands - a process that was going in even as the previous administrator was coming in through the doors - and I can tell him who did it. But just as managers tell us our opinions don't matter because we've 'never played the game' no doubt he'd refuse to listen on the grounds that I've never been an administrator.

One of the most informative posts I've read on here in years.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Birch also admitted that he is at a loss as to how Portsmouth have got themselves into such a dire situation. "The club is in a default position. It is left with a foot-print around the stadium that they don't own, they don't own the training ground and they don't own the academy. It leaves you asking 'where has it all gone?', and I can't answer that question."

The last people that are ever asked questions by administrators, officials, fans, anyone really, are journalists who have been paid to find things out about football clubs (although, to be fair, Tony Adams did admit to me last summer that he should have listened to some of us when we tried to warn him about what sort of club he was managing, instead of telling us that he'd had guarantees from the owner). If he wants to give me a call, I can tell him that a lot of it was moved into bank accounts in the Virgin Islands - a process that was going in even as the previous administrator was coming in through the doors - and I can tell him who did it. But just as managers tell us our opinions don't matter because we've 'never played the game' no doubt he'd refuse to listen on the grounds that I've never been an administrator.

Do you think Trevor Birch knows this now? and if not, would it help him to know? even if only to expose some small part of the truth about the behaviour of previous owners?

"Fit and proper persons" my arse!

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Do you think Trevor Birch knows this now? and if not, would it help him to know? even if only to expose some small part of the truth about the behaviour of previous owners?

"Fit and proper persons" my arse!

The previous administrator, Andrew Andronikou, certainly had the information, but seems to have chosen not to do anything about it. One of my sources is a creditor, so I'd be amazed if he doesn't tell Birch at some point.

Anyway, as I said I don't want to get NSC involved in legal action, but in the meantime, here's something that will give you an idea of the type of people involved at Portsmouth at the time.

Portsmouth keep waiting for owner Ali Al Faraj to show his face | Mail Online

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
That makes The Game podcasts when they used to pull your leg about reporting matters Portsmouth even more amusing. It did make me laugh at the time.

Marcotti's idea of a joke ... I held my nose and did it for the money. Which makes the thought that they might cease to exist all the sweeter. Although I fear they'll wriggle off the hook again somehow ....

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Looks like Portsmouth could finally be the club that goes to the wall, got absolutely nothing to offer any prospective owner and the best case scenario is an AFC Pompey starting off wherever. Wimbledon and Aldershot got back into the league and with their gates at that level they should have a financial advantage........

My strongest suggestion is that Portsmouth will kick off next season in league one on minus twenty points if they are lucky and can find a new owner.

If they can't find a new owner I think they will be out of business and starting again in (at best) Conference South.

Very interesting to read NAN's comments about the man who many still say never existed, the lawyer, and the Virgin Isles. Personally I think the rot set in a management generation further back when the culture of the club we see today was set.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Very interesting to read NAN's comments about the man who many still say never existed, the lawyer, and the Virgin Isles. Personally I think the rot set in a management generation further back when the culture of the club we see today was set.

Yes, don't forget that Pompey went into administration in the late 90s when the chairman was Harry Redknapp's spiritual cousin, Terry Venables (I wonder how many clubs who have had financial difficulties have had either Redknapp or Venables there).

May I just say that Severnside Gull and NAN's post on this thread have been some of the most informative NSC posts ever - they've given some real insight into the convoluted history of Portsmouth and some of the financial murkiness.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
Yes, don't forget that Pompey went into administration in the late 90s when the chairman was Harry Redknapp's spiritual cousin, Terry Venables (I wonder how many clubs who have had financial difficulties have had either Redknapp or Venables there).

May I just say that Severnside Gull and NAN's post on this thread have been some of the most informative NSC posts ever - they've given some real insight into the convoluted history of Portsmouth and some of the financial murkiness.

Are you saying that this is the THIRD time that Portsmouth have been in administration? The cheating fuckers should be thrown out of the League ( but not until all this seasons fixtures have been played )

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Are you saying that this is the THIRD time that Portsmouth have been in administration? The cheating fuckers should be thrown out of the League ( but not until all this seasons fixtures have been played )

It might even be the fourth time - they were in some trouble in the 80s. I'm not sure that it got to an administration stage but it's possible that it did.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither

Seconded. And much appreciated.

In stark contrast to the majority of posts on the Evening News site (The News - they did well to get that url).

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Without going through 31 pages, could someone please tell me how we are going to get approx 50k out of Pompey for their 2200 tickets for next week's game?

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

THIS, I only wish some of these facts were on the Pompey boards.

They (the majority of their fans anyway) STILL seem to think their club has done nothing wrong!!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
In stark contrast to the majority of posts on the Evening News site (The News - they did well to get that url).

They all seem to be mad. People are suggesting that they if they're liquidated the phoenix club will have to be in the conference as they're too big to be any lower - totally deluded.

Did like this though. "No way will I support an AFC Portsmouth, sorry !! I'd sooner watch a 'local' kick and rush side like Newport. However, IF Pompey DO fold, then I guess it'll be Brighton for me........watched them 5 or 6 times at Withdean, hence still on their database, and son works for Amex, so tickets won't be a problem. Bit of a hike from IOW though. But Pompey will survive..............won't they ???????"

That's what I like to see - loyal support.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Interesting commentary here.......... Is that a death knell I hear ringing (well hopeully not for a couple of months yet anyway)?

American businessman Vince Wolanin has tonight issued a statement saying they are not in a position to mount a takeover. He and partner Brian Howe, former frontman of the group Bad Company and a life-long Pompey fan, has been rumoured to be interested in taking over at Fratton Park. In the statement, Wolanin said: ‘After looking over extensive materials we then tried to ascertain if the club could actually work as a commercial venture since we felt the capital requirements would be outside the short-term fund raising capabilities of a CIC.

‘There are just too many cumbersome and fiscally imprudent contracts signed that in our view would only further plunder the club all over again even if someone could buy it for zero pounds sterling since the loss carried forward is insurmountable.

We were hoping contract cancellations could be executed how they are under US law when a company enters administration; but, it turns out UK law prevents that. Personally, I am a fan of this great club, but our parent company directives prevent us from investing in a venture where the outlook is in the red rather than the black. I really feel the FA needs to revisit some of the now out of date policies of fiscal operations, capital expenditures, and outspending of the capital base and revenues as this is going to be a financial plague if changes are not made sooner than later. Still hoping for a miracle, sadly which we do not have.’

Last edited:

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Here is someone with his priorities right:

On the subject of pompey beers. Does anyone know if the Pompey Beer Festival 2012 is going ahead this year. There were strong rumours that "for financial reasons" they may not run it again

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
And to be fair - another one who seems to have an appreciation of what has happened:

Basically long story short we sacrificed Portsmouth football club for about 3-4 years of glory!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here