Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lower league Pompey

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Almost certainly a phoenix Pompey would start in Conference South.

That would do me just fine, I'm not greedy :thumbsup:

Having said that though, how would they make space for them? Unless there's already a club at that level likely to fold, or asking for relegation for one reason or another, they can't just stick a new club in and increase the size of the division.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I hope they go down, preferably more than ten points adrift of safety, so its fully on merit, too.

Then fail to agree a CVA and start next season in L1 on minus 20, have a thoroughly miserable season, and get relegated again.

That would be the ideal outcome for me, I think.

If they start as a pheonix in the conference South, they will win every week, and actually have a terrific adventure, which they'll actually ENJOY. Can't be having that.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I hope they go down, preferably more than ten points adrift of safety, so its fully on merit, too.

Then fail to agree a CVA and start next season in L1 on minus 20, have a thoroughly miserable season, and get relegated again.

That would be the ideal outcome for me, I think.

If they start as a pheonix in the conference South, they will win every week, and actually have a terrific adventure, which they'll actually ENJOY. Can't be having that.

It's a good point, I like your thinking. Though none of their current squad (well apart from old donkeys like Richard Hughes perhaps) would stay if they ended up non league, so they would have to get a complete new squad in. But then again it would be easy to recruit the top non league players if you're playing at Fratton Park and guaranteed crowds of 7-8000 in the Ryman League, so you're right, they would have the momentum.

No, let's watch them sink this season then, and hopefully get absolutely HAMMERED for points in 2012-13 too, and let the depression and downward momentum continue.

The absolute WORST case scenario, of course, is that they stay up this season, continue to take the piss, write off another fifty million or so owed to other companies and people (and us) and then carry on as normal next time round, still in the Championship, with a clean slate. Bastards.

Dirk Gently

Dec 27, 2011
The above scenarios assume they either get bought or stay in administration for ever - and the latter isn't going to happen.

So their long-term future has got to be a major question - any buyer will be buying a club with no assets apart from the players (and I use the word "assets" in its loosest sense, here) but masses of debt that the buyer would have to take over.

I think it'd be better for them to be wound up sooner rather than later - not only could the "Plan B" club register with the leagues before the deadline for next season on 31st March, but there'd be the pleasure of seeing Bag Sam's head explode with apoplexy as West Ham lose 6 points but Saints only lose 1 and Reading 3.

Dirk Gently

Dec 27, 2011
Have the conference already stated they'd let them in? Not sure why it's a certainty they'd be admitted. Didn't Aldershot and Wimbledon start lower?

Rules have changed since Aldershot and Wimbledon- the FA's "Leagues Committee" rules on the most appropriate league for teams which are deemed to be "continuations of previous clubs" to start in - and informal discussions with them suggest Tier 6 would be the starting level for a Plan B Pompey.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If they start as a pheonix in the conference South, they will win every week, and actually have a terrific adventure, which they'll actually ENJOY.
This is why I'm not really feeling sorry for them. The big issue is whether or not they can use the ground. If they can, then I don't see what problem they have. Start again and have a great adventure. It's not like us, with no ground.

But, can they get use of the ground? Doesn't Chainrai own it?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Possibility of a groundshare with Havant & Waterlooville.

Don't they play in the Leigh Park area of the city? :lolol: That's one part that's even worse than Fratton.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Interesting that the Portsmouth News version of the story omits the extremely pertinent part where Poyet says he knows what it feels like because it happened when he was at Leeds, but that he feels this way IN SPITE of that.

It's not just Pompey FC that avoid the important issues.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Slimy spic? Chimp features? Gay players? Latin tw@tt? Prize knob?

Oh dear :nono:

They should stick to driving PEADOS (sic) out of their estates.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Interesting that the Portsmouth News version of the story omits the extremely pertinent part where Poyet says he knows what it feels like because it happened when he was at Leeds, but that he feels this way IN SPITE of that.

It's not just Pompey FC that avoid the important issues.

Indeed.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It's been taken out of context by the Portsmouth News. If you read the full interview (I think there's a version in the Argus) Poyet makes it quite clear that he thinks this even though he was at Leeds when the same was going on. He's been there, done it, the only good fortune for him was that there was no legislation in place to relegate the team he was assistant manager to. And still isn't.

I think he has a point. Why should teams who do keep their houses in order trail in behind teams who spend spend spend, and then write it all off, say a big f*** you to the taxpayer, and carry on regardless?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here