Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lower league Pompey

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
After Pompey had their own version of Fans United (apparently) on Saturday, the 'Pack The Park' campaign continues on tomorrow with much enthusiasm. Tickets for the home game against Birmingham are being eagerly snapped up by the 'best supporters in the country' proving once more, they are deserving of that tag.

As of this afternoon, a grand total of 10'776 tickets for home supporters have been sold..........

Tickets remain for Birmingham clash - Pompey Past - The News

Last edited:

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Ben Haim is actually being paid £50K a week. Not the mere £35 previously reported. The balance is image rights!

From David Conn in The Guardian:
With a contract for image rights, payable to a company registered in the tax haven of Guernsey, Ben Haim's pay totalled around £50,000 a week, £2.5m a year, for four years, a £10m commitment. Two administrations on, bottom of the Championship after a 10-point deduction, Portsmouth must still pay Ben Haim's wages.

Even given that the fault lies withthe Club for signing the contract - I do wonder how these blokes live with themselves, when family breadwinners are being laid off and they will still collect their extortionate salaries.

Oct 25, 2003
it annoys me when they complain about having such a small squad

here's an idea, get MORE players on LESS money

think about how many decent championship players you could get for the combined total of, say, kitson and ben haim's wages

f***ing idiots

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
From David Conn in The Guardian:
With a contract for image rights, payable to a company registered in the tax haven of Guernsey, Ben Haim's pay totalled around £50,000 a week, £2.5m a year, for four years, a £10m commitment. Two administrations on, bottom of the Championship after a 10-point deduction, Portsmouth must still pay Ben Haim's wages.
How does that work? If in admin, why can't they just refuse to pay his wages, and let him go to another club?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
How does that work? If in admin, why can't they just refuse to pay his wages, and let him go to another club?

In England the rules count players as 'preferred creditors' under the football creditor rule so they get paid in full. In scotland, they can reduce wages (as they've done at Rangers).

Of course, the players could voluntarily offer a reduction. You know, being selfless, altruistic individuals

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
In England the rules count players as 'preferred creditors' under the football creditor rule so they get paid in full. In scotland, they can reduce wages (as they've done at Rangers).

Of course, the players could voluntarily offer a reduction. You know, being selfless, altruistic individuals
Isn't that all that happened in Scotland - ie, it was voluntary?

I understand the players are preferred creditors, but when you have no money, even they lose out. Just don't pay and don't play them and invite them to go elsewhere.
And while these players are over-paid, they are worth some money - stick them on the market and sell them. They may (should) get paid less at the next club, but if there's a transfer fee, that could just be given to the player to encourage them to go.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I understand the players are preferred creditors, but when you have no money, even they lose out. Just don't pay and don't play them and invite them to go elsewhere.

I suspect the argument is that someone will buy the club - and that someone will have to settle the football debts. So the players get paid.

And will Ben Haim get that sort of money elsewhere ? Plus after a few years his family is probably settled. I can see why he would not want to move - but how can he look the club staff in the face ?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Isn't that all that happened in Scotland - ie, it was voluntary?

Yes and no. The players voluntarily ( although in reality were pushed into ) took a pay cut to avoid so many redundancies. If they hadn't then they knew THEY could be the ones taking redundancy. The preferred creditors rule in England means all the other staff would have to be made redundant first. Nice thoughtful, caring chaps those footballers.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I suspect the argument is that someone will buy the club - and that someone will have to settle the football debts. So the players get paid.
Is that how it works? The new owners pay (eg) 5p in the £, but have to pay all of the preferred footballers debts?

When the choice is liquidation, or x pence in the pound, I thought you could do a deal with the preferred creditors too. eg, you can have 10p, or nothing, which do you want?

And will Ben Haim get that sort of money elsewhere?
No I accept that, but if he could be sold and be given the transfer fee as compensation, maybe everyone wins.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Can some explain £15k a week image rights?

Is it just a con to up the wages.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Can some explain £15k a week image rights?

Is it just a con to up the wages.

Yes with the added benefit that it is not subject to 50% Tax.

Its essentially so that Ben Haim gives permission for Pompey to use his ''image'' (I.E You can't put a picture of John Terry on Cillit Bang without his permission) and in return he gets more dosh. No idea how the tax works but general financial concensus is that is is a way of topping up his wages but avoiding tax.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
End of season? That’s when it gets scary at Pompey - Pompey Past - The News

‘The CVA won’t be paid.

‘It’s failed because this company is now in administration and won’t be able to honour the agreement.

‘There will be no penalties to the club. The administration itself is a penalty with the 10 point deduction.'

What is to stop a club offering 50p in the £1, to get it passed, and then defaulting on that?

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
End of season? That’s when it gets scary at Pompey - Pompey Past - The News

‘The CVA won’t be paid.

‘It’s failed because this company is now in administration and won’t be able to honour the agreement.

‘There will be no penalties to the club. The administration itself is a penalty with the 10 point deduction.'

What is to stop a club offering 50p in the £1, to get it passed, and then defaulting on that?

Sorry if its been asked before but do they have the 10 point deduction carried over if they go down by more than 10 points.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Sorry if its been asked before but do they have the 10 point deduction carried over if they go down by more than 10 points.

No. Why would they?

I would have thought Southampton fans were clued up on this stuff.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
They will have a further points deduction imposed if they fail to come out of administration via a CVA before the start of next season. In that event the points deduction is likely to be 15 points or (potentially) significantly more depending on the circumstances. Should that be the situation, however, I suspect they will have gone bust and reformed in a lower league. The greater probability is that they will find a new owner and exit administration via another CVA with creditors from the first agreement getting something like 5p in the pound on the 20p in the pound they got last time - f*** all in other words!

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
I see Storie is angling for a job back there, with more misguided words..

"There is a potential development scheme there and the club has already proven it can hold its own in the Premier League. There's no reason it can't do that again.

Is he mad ? :shootself:

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

"There is a potential development scheme there and the club has already proven it can hold its own in the Premier League. There's no reason it can't do that again.

I don't think he's mad.

He's a lot of other things that I won't post on here though.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

That is one of the most misguided and self-serving statements I've ever read.

krakatoa

Jan 21, 2010
HOVE
After Pompey had their own version of Fans United (apparently) on Saturday, the 'Pack The Park' campaign continues on tomorrow with much enthusiasm. Tickets for the home game against Birmingham are being eagerly snapped up by the 'best supporters in the country' proving once more, they are deserving of that tag.

As of this afternoon, a grand total of 10'776 tickets for home supporters have been sold.........

Tickets remain for Birmingham clash - Pompey Past - The News

To be fair, they are averaging about 15,000, despite the utter shambles they are in. Not 100% sure we'd get any more in their position.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here