Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
True! But wouldn’t be very original. This sort of thing has happened before though. I recall not being able to go to China in 2003, had to amend my world trip too. The public’s capacity to panic is endless and I see no point in doing so that’s all. Life is deadly. So deadly it kills you someday. It’s winter and all sorts of bugs are flying around killing people as usual, young old and everyone inbetween. Accept there’s little you can do, that probably the vast majority of the world will be ok and try not to spend all the time you are afforded inbetween worrying about the inevitable. I’ve lost two of the most precious people in my life recently more deserving of life than me. I’d swap places in a heartbeat. The bravery they exhibited was off the scale, it’s changed me and my outlook forever and I will try my best to follow their example when my turn comes. If it helps, I’m feeling really unwell today and have a bad case of what I believe is a common cold. Could be something much more serious I guess but probably not. If it is, then my numbers up and nothing I can do except say Love you all, UTA, Down with Archer and...where did the Cup Final money go?! Stay safe. :)
More chance of finding you've got the dreaded coronavirus than finding that cup final money.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
I've just come back from Tesco after a very big shop.
Found everything I needed to see me through this "nuclear" winter except adult size Huggies Pull-Ups.

D

Deleted member 22389

I'm not one for wild flights of fancy or to over-react, but this outbreak worries me A LOT.

Reasons?

1. The long incubation period for this virus, coupled with it being contagious BEFORE the symptoms show almost certainly means that the virus has spread already, and we're just waiting for it appear.
  2. The fact that this seemingly young and healthy doctor has succumbed to the virus, and the length of time he was ill with it both worry me.
  3. The fact that this first appeared in a secretive totalitarian state also worries me, as we have little confidence in any information coming out. Normally the totalitarian part, with less free travel in/out would help, but point 1 above limits the upside.

I have been worrying about points 1 & 3 for the last six days.

D

Deleted member 22389

I did to, over a week ago, most sold out on eBay/Amazon and some ridiculous profiteering going on.

If it helps Anyone on NSC?, the recommendation (international standard) is to get a N95 (blocks 95%) mask or better as these will block it (plus alcohol hand wash regularly).

In the UK we often use different standards to the N95, we have FFP1, FFP2, FFP3. The FFP1 is lower/worse than N95, the FFP2 is roughly equivalent and FFP3 is even better protection.

You can find FFP2 and FFP3 masks at Toolstation and Screwfix for normal prices if in stock. Screwfix you can buy today if your chosen store has stock and collect within 21 days. Quite a few alternatives, Just checked 1 of the FFP3 masks (set of 2) and in stock at Worthing and Newhaven for £3.49

Thanks for the info.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
If it does become a bigger health issue in the UK, we can expect to see public events (like football, theatres) cancelled for a while. Schools, too - though probably on an ad hoc basis as everything can't remain closed for an indefinite period.

The question is whether it can be stopped, or whether it will just become endemic. If it's got a long period of infectious incubation before the first signs appear, then it will be difficult to stop. A vaccine will be available in about a year, though distributing it would probably take another year.

I have to admit that the obsession with face masks does seem a little odd. You can't just have one face mask, you need huge numbers as each time you wear one you need to destroy it safely or there is no point bothering at all.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
Or it could be because the advice of the World Health Organisation is that this would be counter-productive

https://qz.com/1795615/coronavirus-travel-bans-on-china-imposed-by-growing-list-of-nations/

I couldn't see how keeping people contained would not lessen the spread of the virus so clicked the link to find the WHO's reasoning and found from within that link:
"He stressed that such restrictions often needlessly damage economies and encourage travelers to lie."

Not certain I consider that an acceptable reason to not try and contain it.

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
I did to, over a week ago, most sold out on eBay/Amazon and some ridiculous profiteering going on.

If it helps Anyone on NSC?, the recommendation (international standard) is to get a N95 (blocks 95%) mask or better as these will block it (plus alcohol hand wash regularly).

In the UK we often use different standards to the N95, we have FFP1, FFP2, FFP3. The FFP1 is lower/worse than N95, the FFP2 is roughly equivalent and FFP3 is even better protection.

You can find FFP2 and FFP3 masks at Toolstation and Screwfix for normal prices if in stock. Screwfix you can buy today if your chosen store has stock and collect within 21 days. Quite a few alternatives, Just checked 1 of the FFP3 masks (set of 2) and in stock at Worthing and Newhaven for £3.49

Link please

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
More chance of finding you've got the dreaded coronavirus than finding that cup final money.

Lol! I’ve got this theory that after you’ve died you’re allowed to ask one question about life’s big mysteries and are told the answer eg what happened to Lord Lucan? Does the yeti actually exist? Etc. The Cup Final money’s gotta be up there for all Brighton fans eh?! ;)

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
The NHS will collapse if this gets serious, won’t be able to plaster over it with bullshit and lies if people are dropping down dead
The perfect storm for the government to privatise...?

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Link please

This was the ffp3 I checked (Screwfix just call it p3) https://www.screwfix.com/p/moulded-valved-masks-p3-2-pack/1344K?tc=FB7&ds_kid=92700024696252638&gclsrc=aw.ds&ds_rl=1241687&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1244069&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5oXCyti95wIVmpntCh3VAgGFEAQYAiABEgLsgfD_BwE

But look for any p2 or p3 and check local stock, if it shows stock at a store and you buy, it will reserve instantly and you've got 21 days to collect

Link for all masks.

https://www.screwfix.com/c/safety-workwear/disposable/cat7190001

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I can’t believe some of the panicky crap I’m reading on here.....

Wondering how I’ve managed to stay alive this long to be honest. I’ve not worn a face mask or anything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You're bang on there is no need to panic and probably more chance of being hit by lightening than getting ncov2019 at this stage. But like the Albion getting relegated safety bet you hope you're throwing your money away on. Likewise buying masks. It's a tenner down the drain unless it kicks off and there's nowt left

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
You're bang on there is no need to panic and probably more chance of being hit by lightening than getting ncov2019 at this stage. But like the Albion getting relegated safety bet you hope you're throwing your money away on. Likewise buying masks. It's a tenner down the drain unless it kicks off and there's nowt left

I really wish I was as positive as you. My Mrs, Mum and Sister (who is in Asia) keep telling me to pack it in and stop worrying... Wish I could, but researched this loads since 2 weeks ago and am not very optimistic about the outcome here and the rest of the world, hence my "hundreds of millions" the other day, today I think this will wipe out atleast half the word, if not more.

I hope I'm just panicking for no reason, but I just can't see this getting any better. I think the govt needs to close all borders and impose strict curfews across the country, to stop this escalating here.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I really wish I was as positive as you. My Mrs, Mum and Sister (who is in Asia) keep telling me to pack it in and stop worrying... Wish I could, but researched this loads since 2 weeks ago and am not very optimistic about the outcome here and the rest of the world, hence my "hundreds of millions" the other day, today I think this will wipe out atleast half the word, if not more.

Half the world if not more!! Blimey.

Although then at least those left could stop worrying about climate catastrophe.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

I hope I'm just panicking for no reason, but I just can't see this getting any better. I think the govt needs to close all borders and impose strict curfews across the country, to stop this escalating here.

I think you may be overreacting slightly! Are you always this nervous about such things?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

one way to sort out the climate change crisises. maybe thats the plan... :ohmy:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here