Man City Fans (some) refuse to pay £62 for this Sundays match at the Emirates v Arsenal

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Gooner season ticket holder at work says his season ticket, not even close to the best in the stadium, is almost £1900. And he has no opportunity to pay for it in instalments - Arsenal make you pay in one go, apparently. He has to put it on a credit card, thereby paying interest on top of that, and pay it off over the entire season. He's getting close to being unable to afford it. Can't imagine he's atypical, so there will be a point at which 'the market' will baulk at the prices.

I'd understand it more readily if they were, say, Barcelona, and you were getting Messi et al, and a string of trophies for your hard-earned, but they ain't. Far from it.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Not really. If footballers were not paid such a ridiculous wage for kicking a ball around then the entire cost of tickets could be lowered across the leagues.

And how is that not linked into the laws of supply and demand. The only way prices and wages will change would be if there is a considerable drop in demand for the product.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
And how is that not linked into the laws of supply and demand. The only way prices and wages will change would be if there is a considerable drop in demand for the product.

Indeed and most fans have said for years the bubble will burst. It just appears to grow in size though. Problem now is there is merry go round between the clubs, tv (Sky), and the fans. Sky pay stupid money based on their survival. Without footie Sky would be in the shite. Sky has to pay good money or the big clubs would demand that they could sell their own tv rights. Man Utd reckon that if they were able to sell their own rights one game alone would pay for their entire yearly overheads. The others though perhaps not to that extent would be in a similar position. They instead sting the supporter and until that supporter ceases to support it will continue.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
I think we are witnessing the beginning of the end for football trying to fund ridiculous
players wages by taking the piss with supporters.

trancing

On our way 2 falmer
Jul 23, 2009
Shoreham By Sea
My best mate is arsenal fan and got email from the club saying theres tkts still available as the game is a day before his b.day thought he could get a nice present £89 each for 2 seats together, madness he has decided to watch it at home

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Normal tickets to the football should never ever ever cost more than £40. Ever.

On what do you base that? Just a figure that you've picked out of the air because it suits you. There will be others that think even that is too high. There were plenty that wouldn't pay that for the Newcastle cup game which of course wasn't just a normal league game. When there are people prepared to pay more, the clubs will charge more. When there are overseas markets that pay fortunes to the Prem clubs, as well as Sky, the product, which is in effect the players, demand their fair share. There may be some redressing of the balance when financial fair play comes in but the big clubs will no doubt get around it and still pay top dollar for the best players and that drives up what everyone else has to pay. Supply and demand my friend, governs everything.

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
Emirates is my favorite ground, £62 for Man City - Arsenal at the Emirates is a little expensive but I don't think it's that bad.

Inelastic demand... Simple economics.

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
Guardian:

"And it's not as if finding a television to watch the game on is difficult nowadays. Even if the game wasn't live, to charge £62 to watch it is ridiculous, but to charge that amount when people can see it live on TV is crazy.

"It just shows that football clubs are out of touch with reality. If City supporters are travelling on a supporters' club coach it will cost £30 per person. That's £92 before they have even done anything; add in a programme, food, drink and you are looking at £125-£130 per person.

/QUOTE]

And you don't even get a full a 90 mins of football for your 62 notes. I'd want a stopping clock and the full 90 mins......make them earn their money!

Unless your Man Utd and losing at 90 mins you get a load of extra time until they score a goal. Thats great value for your money:clap::clap::clap:

Blue Goon

Sep 2, 2011
This is why 1400 old school Arsenal had a march against the board before the Swansea game in the league. Most working class supporters who have supported the club since they were kids can't afford to go anymore. The club know they can sell the tickets for the big games to the Arsenal overseas supporters clubs who are willing to pay this. £62 are the cheapest seat for this match. They are only a limited amount at this price available to home supporters, seats in the upper tier are well over £100. Ivan Gazidis is a complete cnt and hated by the Arsenal fans. Beware prices like this could be coming to more clubs soon and the only way to fight this is for all fans to make a stand and take action together. Some on here made a stand for the Newcastle game and got slagged off but I applaud them.

KICK THE GREED OUT OF FOOTBALL

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
To be fair, we all saw this coming.

As someone said above, the working class have been forced out of the grounds into the pubs to see their teams ( called plastics by many on here) and with the rise of the family/ corporate and yes, the type of fan, who have the money to buy the most expensive seats at £80 odd per month, you can see the argument of the likes of barber.

So who does this benefit? The jcl generation of people who have the money to pay for watching the foreign players who seemly we all need to compete with other teams full of foreign players.

It's not the game a lot of us were brought up on.
Sadly true.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
This is why 1400 old school Arsenal had a march against the board before the Swansea game in the league. Most working class supporters who have supported the club since they were kids can't afford to go anymore. The club know they can sell the tickets for the big games to the Arsenal overseas supporters clubs who are willing to pay this. £62 are the cheapest seat for this match. They are only a limited amount at this price available to home supporters, seats in the upper tier are well over £100. Ivan Gazidis is a complete cnt and hated by the Arsenal fans. Beware prices like this could be coming to more clubs soon and the only way to fight this is for all fans to make a stand and take action together. Some on here made a stand for the Newcastle game and got slagged off but I applaud them.

KICK THE GREED OUT OF FOOTBALL
You've put your finger on a very good, and very modern, point. I was going to make a slightly tongue-in-cheek comment about the higher prices, as for our FA Cup game against Newcastle, sorting out the 'customers' (who are influenced by price) from the 'fans' (who attend whatever), but I realise that that would have been even more unfair than I intended it to be! With the global appeal of the Premier League you do now see the 'football tourists' who come over to England in order to see live the teams they've only seen on TV - and will pay whatever for what is a rare treat. In other words the big Premier League clubs have become similar to West End theatres: something to 'do' when in London.

Good for the clubs of course, but not so good for the poor sods on normal wages who want to go every week rather than a few times in a lifetime. One comment I've seen is that Arsenal 'seemed to think that the Man City fans as well as the owners come from Abu Dhabi'. Not 100% accurate yet, but give it time ...

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
The problem is they are selling out at those prices. People are paying it. Until they stop paying it the prices will keep rising.

MACROBLUE

Jul 9, 2011
Gooner season ticket holder at work says his season ticket, not even close to the best in the stadium, is almost £1900. And he has no opportunity to pay for it in instalments - Arsenal make you pay in one go, apparently. He has to put it on a credit card, thereby paying interest on top of that, and pay it off over the entire season. He's getting close to being unable to afford it. Can't imagine he's atypical, so there will be a point at which 'the market' will baulk at the prices.

I'd understand it more readily if they were, say, Barcelona, and you were getting Messi et al, and a string of trophies for your hard-earned, but they ain't. Far from it.

Knowing a few London football fans the cost to some of them means absolutely nothing. Even at £100 a ticket they would still buy them. The interest from foreigners in London also means that they will always sell these tickets, but oop north there is a limit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports