Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Martin Jol

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Something about not being a team player

The start of McGhee's downfall was dropping players (one in particular) who were not team players, so maybe the fans will boo Jol out shortly?

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
if Jol does go, which in my mind would be ludicrous at this stage, then the management merry-go-round will just start a bit earier than usual.

Jol at Bolton perhaps?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The start of McGhee's downfall was dropping players (one in particular) who were not team players, so maybe the fans will boo Jol out shortly?

Ive never seen a crowd behind a manager as much as the lane was on sat - every Spurs fan seemed to be chanting his name

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Ive never seen a crowd behind a manager as much as the lane was on sat - every Spurs fan seemed to be chanting his name

Bloody pleased to hear that Tottenham fans have some sense then :lolol:

Having been a Spurs fan as a kid, I still have a soft spot for them.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
On pure results it looks like insanity to get rid of Jol, so it must be a personality thing behind the scenes if he does go.

What I never understand is if that is the case it was clearly known about over the summer. Why do nothing then, when that is obviously the better time to bring in the new guy? Or if he had won the first two games, would all those personality issues suddenly have cleared up?

Shows how much massive pressure all these 'tier two' teams are under though, Spurs, Everton, Man City, Villa, Newcastle et al. Must deliver this season.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think they should being back that Jacques Santini fella. He was WELL good.

I had the feeling that he was losing control towards the end of last season.
He took on this tired, resigned croak in his voice, and a spiritual 'shrug' in his overall attitude. His demeanor is of a beaten man that can do nothing more than he has.

If tugging on his reins doesn't gee the fellow up, then he's already just resigned to a fate..... and it's just a matter of time before he's gone.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
What about Gross, I like the fact he got the tube......

The rumour was he almost lost his job at xmas, how true that was is anyones guess.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU

red20hand20flare201wg0.gif

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Last season Tottenham scraped into 5th place by a late push. They blew all of the big cup matches vs Chelsea, Arsenal and Sevilla and their records against the Big 4 was mediocre.

I reckon that there might be an issue about Jol's ability to take Spurs on to the next level with some of the board. Mido recently commented that there was a lot of behind-the-scenes politics at Spurs and this looks correct. Originally it was Santini, Jol and Arnesen before things fell apart. I suspect that Levy wants to keep Jol's brief fairly small but Jol wants a bigger say.

Damien Comolli is involved with many of the players contracts and he is close to the chairman. I suspect he might have tipped the scales by backing the chairman.

Berbatov had a poor game vs Sunderland, but then he started last season poorly as well. Spurs are only 1 player away from being a Top 4 side, but that player is a Roy Keane/ Vieira / Gerrard type of midfield leader and not easy to sign.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Last season Tottenham scraped into 5th place by a late push. They blew all of the big cup matches vs Chelsea, Arsenal and Sevilla and their records against the Big 4 was mediocre.

I reckon that there might be an issue about Jol's ability to take Spurs on to the next level with some of the board. Mido recently commented that there was a lot of behind-the-scenes politics at Spurs and this looks correct. Originally it was Santini, Jol and Arnesen before things fell apart. I suspect that Levy wants to keep Jol's brief fairly small but Jol wants a bigger say.

Damien Comolli is involved with many of the players contracts and he is close to the chairman. I suspect he might have tipped the scales by backing the chairman.

Berbatov had a poor game vs Sunderland, but then he started last season poorly as well. Spurs are only 1 player away from being a Top 4 side, but that player is a Roy Keane/ Vieira / Gerrard type of midfield leader and not easy to sign.

Cant disagree with most of that, we still need a left winger as well tho.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick

Apparently they've put a £10M bid in for Riquelme. If they'd have been able to keep Carrick they may have done better. I reckon a lot of this is just media hype - probably stirred up by Ferguson prior to the match on Sunday.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think Levy must have said to Jol that having lost Carrick to United last year he was buggered if Berbatov was going the same way too.

Levy has done well to keep Berbatov and he realises that he is the one world class attacking player they have. Riquelme would be a great signing for Spurs and he would only come because of the likes of Berbatov.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
From the spurs web site today:

CLUB UPDATE21/08/2007 18:30:55 NewsNews Headlines Media Link
News Archive Desktop Alerts

The Club is aware that there has been much speculation over the past few days in respect of our Manager, Martin Jol. As you know, the Club does not respond to speculation, but we do feel in this instance it is important to clarify the current position. Manager Martin Jol and Assistant Manager, Chris Hughton met with the Chairman, Sporting Director Damien Comolli and members of the Board today – discussions were held re-confirming our aims for the season, the development of the full potential of the squad and taking the Club forward.

“We have had two good, progressive seasons with fifth place finishes. I am an ambitious Chairman, we are an ambitious Club and we want Champions League football at White Hart Lane,” commented Chairman, Daniel Levy. “We, the Board, owe it to the Club and the supporters to constantly assess our position and performance and to ensure that we have the ability to operate and compete at that level. We have made a massive investment in the squad and as a result we have the best squad of players this Club has had for over 20 years and they are equally hungry for success and silverware. For that we need our management and coaching standards to be of the highest quality such that players can fulfil their potential and we can compete with the best. We have discussed all of these expectations with Martin and he has confirmed to me today that he feels he is equipped with a squad and a determination to take on that challenge.”

Martin added: “We had a full and frank conversation and I fully understand the ambitions of the Club – they are the same as those of the supporters. He has put a lot of hard work into this Club and with the squad of players we have assembled, it is realistic that we should look to challenge for a top four position and I have assured him and the Board that that is what I shall aim for.

“The last two seasons we have finished fifth and this season we start with an even better team. So we should be optimistic. Yes, it is pressure to deliver, but that is what we managers should expect. Hopefully all the media will relax now – all I shall be concentrating on is each and every game.” Print This Article Email a Friend

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here