Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Match day thread England vs Croatia

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I think we did ok from what I saw/heard - the challenge for us is likely to be in the Last 16 match - which as far as I can see is likely to be a "big" team wherever we finish in the group. That is going to be the real test....

Weren’t Croatia in the World Cup final? Surely that makes them a big team. They knocked us out last time anyway.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Indeed...Think 2nd in our group play 2nd from Spains group (Poland, Sweden or Slovakia)

Winner of the group plays either France, Germany or Portugal ???

Croatia aren’t daft are they.

Today’s win will come back to haunt us when we get knocked out in the last 16 to Portugal or Germany.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Indeed...Think 2nd in our group play 2nd from Spains group (Poland, Sweden or Slovakia)

Winner of the group plays either France, Germany or Portugal ???

Yep. With three points now in the bag, I’d take a loss to Scotland.
No doubt Southgate will ruin everything by smashing the group

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Great response from the football fans on NSC :clap2:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Yep. With three points now in the bag, I’d take a loss to Scotland.
No doubt Southgate will ruin everything by smashing the group

Of cause, but with Spain 1.38 to win the group, more likely one of the others

Yes - but we've been here before. I'm sure there was one (or more) tournament where it seemed as though we semi-deliberately came second to get a 'weaker' team in the next round. Only to come undone. If we try to come second in our group - we'll probably find that Spain have also come second. Or, they don't, and we get Sweden - and our record (barring the last tournament) is not great against them either!

I'm all for just winning as many games as possible - and not trying to play the system.

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
Yes - but we've been here before. I'm sure there was one (or more) tournament where it seemed as though we semi-deliberately came second to get a 'weaker' team in the next round. Only to come undone. If we try to come second in our group - we'll probably find that Spain have also come second. Or, they don't, and we get Sweden - and our record (barring the last tournament) is not great against them either!

I'm all for just winning as many games as possible - and not trying to play the system.

I agree to a certain degree, though it worked at the last World Cup when losing to Belgium in the last group game gave us a much easier route, and Martinez's face after they scored told you everything....

I don't agree with the 'you've got to play the big teams at sometime so might as well be now' approach...Play the crappier teams for as long as possible

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
I agree to a certain degree, though it worked at the last World Cup when losing to Belgium in the last group game gave us a much easier route, and Martinez's face after they scored told you everything....

I don't agree with the 'you've got to play the big teams at sometime so might as well be now' approach...Play the crappier teams for as long as possible

That tells you that you are good at beating crappy teams. Mediocrity reigns.

I want to see us in the big games, not hiding behind the sofa.!

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

We will of course try and win all three games and I think we will manage it.
I’m bracing myself for what would be a hugely cruel exit.
Then again IF we could win that 16 match, confidence will be high so you never know....
IMO On our day, we can beat anyone except possibly France. And even France can be temperamental.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
might be in a minority here but I thought Southgate got it spot on, tactics, conditions, game management, subs. Kept it tight, high press and nullified the opposition.

If it was Jose Mourinho, people would say it was a masterclass

100%. It was superb. People being silly as per because it’s England.

Really nasty first game navigated very, very well. Grealish held back for the weaker sides in the group. Defence looked surprisingly good. Look inventive and dangerous in attack.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here