Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Matt Hancock/Government Break the Law

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Now who do you think "we" is? I could not tell you the last time off hand, but do recall what are probably 20 times if not more at around 5pm -have you been on Mars with that robot?

I'm talking about a real hour long interview by the likes of Andrew Neill and hold your hero to account for the many deaths his dithering and inability to make an unpopular decision has caused.
I expected your post to be ridiculous, you never disappoint me.
Unfortunately Johnson is PM, so ultimately he is responsible and accountable and he has made mistake after mistake after mistake even your bible, The Daily Mail, has been critical but your type will never admit to that, it's very sad really.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
The same reason the great British public are quite happy to see someone like Philip Green swindle millions from pension funds and stash it off shore without paying a penny in tax but will get their knickers in a twist if Mr and Mrs Bloggs up the road are swindling a few more quid on their benefits than they should be getting.

It will never change and that is exactly what people like Johnson rely on

I’d be careful with that.

I’m no fan of Philip Green. I’ve met him a few times through work and he’s an arrogant condescending shit. But he didn’t swindle anything. When he (or his wife - same thing) took out that dividend 15 years ago, Arcadia was in a really strong financial position and continued to be so for many years afterwards. He took nothing out afterwards (for obvious reasons) but it’s only the same as taking out £200m for 7 years in a row when the company could easily service the debt. It’s only in the last 3 years they’ve really started to struggle - some of which was Green’s fault and some of which wasn’t. And the pension deficit in Arcadia was as much to do with low discount rates as much as anything else in later years. You should see some of the other companies who have massive DB deficits and happily paid out cash to shareholders. It didn’t seem like a problem when Green took that dividend.

The man is not loved by the press which is why they keep harking back to this, but there are many examples of much worse behaviour in the corporate world which go unreported simply because it isn’t Philip Green. Branson, for example is just as bad, but his PR is so much better than het can get away with it.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

I’m no fan of Philip Green. I’ve met him a few times through work and he’s an arrogant condescending shit. But he didn’t swindle anything. When he (or his wife - same thing) took out that dividend 15 years ago, Arcadia was in a really strong financial position and continued to be so for many years afterwards. He took nothing out afterwards (for obvious reasons) but it’s only the same as taking out £200m for 7 years in a row when the company could easily service the debt. It’s only in the last 3 years they’ve really started to struggle - some of which was Green’s fault and some of which wasn’t. And the pension deficit in Arcadia was as much to do with low discount rates as much as anything else in later years. You should see some of the other companies who have massive DB deficits and happily paid out cash to shareholders. It didn’t seem like a problem when Green took that dividend.

The man is not loved by the press which is why they keep harking back to this, but there are many examples of much worse behaviour in the corporate world which go unreported simply because it isn’t Philip Green. Branson, for example is just as bad, but his PR is so much better than het can get away with it.

I'd agree with that. If Croydon supermodel Kate Moss was attracted to the millionaire Philip Green, then that's plenty good enough for me :thumbsup:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56125462

Not much on this in the press (surprise, Murdoch etc etc), instead trying to turn our attentions away towards the current Royal Family rumblings. Anyway, are we really going to let the Government get away with yet another law breaking piece of work. It looks that way doesn't it.

It's utterly shameful that they would rather hand contracts to their mates during a time of crisis than invest the money into the resources needed ie the NHS and staff pay etc They've used a crisis to profit themselves and their friends. Abusing their positions of power AGAIN.

They really do not have any class do they. Utter scumbags. Funny how the vaccine rollout has gone so well, because it was left to the NHS and Service personnel to handle, not some private dodgy firm, that's then only credibility they'll get from this.

You only read the Murdoch press ? You only have yourself to blame then.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp....ly-failing-publish-covid-contracts-high-court

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/news...etails-was-unlawful-high-court-rules-12222826

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....ncock-covid-contract-ruling-b1804667.html?amp

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/inew...-covid-contracts-high-court-ruling-881151/amp

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.ft.com/content/6271d725-ff46-4c83-8233-63bebe9e331a

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/metr...over-government-covid-contracts-14115870/amp/

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Now who do you think "we" is? I could not tell you the last time off hand, but do recall what are probably 20 times if not more at around 5pm -have you been on Mars with that robot?

If you think the 5pm press conferences are grillings then you are deluded. Someone gets to ask a question - occasionally insightful - the idiot then waffles for a bit, usually ignoring the actual question and there is no follow up. And the masses lap it up.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I'd agree with that. If Croydon supermodel Kate Moss was attracted to the millionaire Philip Green, then that's plenty good enough for me :thumbsup:

Just goes to prove my point

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I'm talking about a real hour long interview by the likes of Andrew Neill and hold your hero to account for the many deaths his dithering and inability to make an unpopular decision has caused.
I expected your post to be ridiculous, you never disappoint me.
Unfortunately Johnson is PM, so ultimately he is responsible and accountable and he has made mistake after mistake after mistake even your bible, The Daily Mail, has been critical but your type will never admit to that, it's very sad really.

Plenty of predictable bluster as expected, but no answer to the question, again as expected. For the record, B J has clearly made errors, and it would have been odd, if he had not, given the overwhelming nature of this hitherto unheard of situation. By the way, just for balance he is not alone -I follow the nightly German news and the same criticisms are voiced there, and doubtless elswhere. The Government have been initially slow, for sure, but it is equally true that we do not know the whole story, and the difficulties that have beeen faced; easy to moan, but far more difficult to balance all the many pressures on them. Lockdown and we hear perpetual moans about the economy; no lockdown and we hear perpetual moans about how the virus is preading out of control. How much of the blame could, for example be laid at the door of the scientists giving advice, afterall it is quite common to hear conflicting views from so-called experts.
As expected, you do not answer who "we" is, as you know full well that on this occasion, the government was quick to assure supplies, and we as a country have benefitted from that. But of course that is just too much for you to dare to admit, because your aim from the outset, is to find fault, even when there is no fault, because that is what you are determined on. In your determination, to see things one way, and fit all into your narrative, you are inevitably inconsistent -earlier in the year, it was all the Government's fault, you state, but now that good news is on the horizon, it is down to the NHS and the Military. Plus as ever the condescending jibe that millions of people are thick, because, shame on them, they do not share your correct views -the "your type" as you state. And you claim that my views are sad . At least this time you have not resorted to the usual foul-mouthed abuse, so progress is being made, albeit very slowly.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
If you think the 5pm press conferences are grillings then you are deluded. Someone gets to ask a question - occasionally insightful - the idiot then waffles for a bit, usually ignoring the actual question and there is no follow up. And the masses lap it up.

Strange -you show the same sense of superiority that chopper and clampy and others do -this arrogant belief that only their views count and others are just thick and deluded. Of course there is a difference, but chopper asked when he last faced questions and I gave him a response. Yes, he does waffle sometimes, but then some of the questions are designed not to help inform the public, but just simply to play "gotcha" or to massage the journalst's ego, or try to make the person at the other end look silly. I think from your point that you too would probably agree with the criticism of some of the questions. As to your point about follow-up, the idea is that they get to ask questions and they are given an answer. Yes, it is easier to waffle, but also avoids an unseemly argument when others are in line for their questions.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Lots of the usual noise on this thread, not very much detail. Has anyone got actual evidence of corruption?

I find it difficult to take The good law project seriously since Kate Bingham made them look stupid.
Go back to November and check out the sh*t that was being thrown at her by the left wing press and various pressure groups, then fast forward to the present to find she's been the driving force behind the UK's early vaccine procurement and is widely accepted as being the best person for the job.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008

Agreed - error on my part, meant pension deficit

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/feb/18/philip-green-arcadia-had-510m-pension-deficit-when-it-collapsed

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Plenty of predictable bluster as expected, but no answer to the question, again as expected. For the record, B J has clearly made errors, and it would have been odd, if he had not, given the overwhelming nature of this hitherto unheard of situation. By the way, just for balance he is not alone -I follow the nightly German news and the same criticisms are voiced there, and doubtless elswhere. The Government have been initially slow, for sure, but it is equally true that we do not know the whole story, and the difficulties that have beeen faced; easy to moan, but far more difficult to balance all the many pressures on them. Lockdown and we hear perpetual moans about the economy; no lockdown and we hear perpetual moans about how the virus is preading out of control. How much of the blame could, for example be laid at the door of the scientists giving advice, afterall it is quite common to hear conflicting views from so-called experts.
As expected, you do not answer who "we" is, as you know full well that on this occasion, the government was quick to assure supplies, and we as a country have benefitted from that. But of course that is just too much for you to dare to admit, because your aim from the outset, is to find fault, even when there is no fault, because that is what you are determined on. In your determination, to see things one way, and fit all into your narrative, you are inevitably inconsistent -earlier in the year, it was all the Government's fault, you state, but now that good news is on the horizon, it is down to the NHS and the Military. Plus as ever the condescending jibe that millions of people are thick, because, shame on them, they do not share your correct views -the "your type" as you state. And you claim that my views are sad . At least this time you have not resorted to the usual foul-mouthed abuse, so progress is being made, albeit very slowly.

You need to grow up you silly little man, who do you think 'we' is.
If you cannot see what huge mistakes have taken place over the past year then you have my sympathy, we are talking about deaths that should not have happened.
This is way beyond anti Johnson, Labour v Tory, left v right, its about bringing to account those that are responsible.
And as above, a group of Tory back benchers want to rush this through at the most critical time.
I hope that Johnson at last does the right thing and ignores them, he now has the chance to do something properly and get the credit for it.
Or will he send the kids back to school for 1 day again with unvaccinated teachers or will he have us all running back into a pub for a scotch egg and 20 pints.
Regarding the idiots you refer to, it is plain to see that why so many are trying to do the right thing there are far too many that just don't give a shit and,like you, cannot see or refuse to see right through Johnson as the useless, hapless, good time charlie that he is.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
The same reason the great British public are quite happy to see someone like Philip Green swindle millions from pension funds and stash it off shore without paying a penny in tax but will get their knickers in a twist if Mr and Mrs Bloggs up the road are swindling a few more quid on their benefits than they should be getting.

It will never change and that is exactly what people like Johnson rely on

I don't normally engage much with political threads but, I fundamentally disagree. I know nobody who is happy with the behaviour of Philip Green and many who think he should have been stripped of his knighthood and investigated with his wife over 'source of funds' issues including confiscation of his/her yacht and all the other assets/income chanelled through her. Over 200,000 have petitioned for withdrawal of his knighthood and personally I think he should be forced to stump up every penny of shortfall in all the pension funds he has overseen, particularly BHS. I have never worked for his group, so have no vested interest, but for thousands of British people, he is undoubtedly still a blood boiler.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Lots of the usual noise on this thread, not very much detail. Has anyone got actual evidence of corruption?

I find it difficult to take The good law project seriously since Kate Bingham made them look stupid.
Go back to November and check out the sh*t that was being thrown at her by the left wing press and various pressure groups, then fast forward to the present to find she's been the driving force behind the UK's early vaccine procurement and is widely accepted as being the best person for the job.

Yes, indeed. Well-meant criticism with constructive alternatives is very desirable, but all too often on here and in public, strident voices are heard, when they really do not know the ins and outs of a situation, preferring to stick to their narrative. In this case it is righteous lefties, all of whom know better, but, to be fair, had Corbyn won the last election, doubtless the same would have happened with often unreasonable demands from the right!

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Yes, indeed. Well-meant criticism with constructive alternatives is very desirable, but all too often on here and in public, strident voices are heard, when they really do not know the ins and outs of a situation, preferring to stick to their narrative. In this case it is righteous lefties, all of whom know better, but, to be fair, had Corbyn won the last election, doubtless the same would have happened with often unreasonable demands from the right!

One thing I'm sure of, if labour had got in and Jonathon Ashworth had done what Hancock has, the breaking news story on the BBC on Friday wouldn't have been about Kanye West and Kim Kardashian's marriage.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56125462

Not much on this in the press (surprise, Murdoch etc etc), instead trying to turn our attentions away towards the current Royal Family rumblings. Anyway, are we really going to let the Government get away with yet another law breaking piece of work. It looks that way doesn't it.

It's utterly shameful that they would rather hand contracts to their mates during a time of crisis than invest the money into the resources needed ie the NHS and staff pay etc They've used a crisis to profit themselves and their friends. Abusing their positions of power AGAIN.

They really do not have any class do they. Utter scumbags. Funny how the vaccine rollout has gone so well, because it was left to the NHS and Service personnel to handle, not some private dodgy firm, that's then only credibility they'll get from this.

The leader of the Opposition doesn't seem overly fussed ... not even calling for his resignation. :shrug:

Also, the vaccine success story highlights the benefits of private sector companies/individuals (appointed by the government) and the public sector working together .... a great rant though.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

Indeed, just another thumb trawling thread for the usual suspects.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Hancock’s defence is a disgrace. To play the pity card is unacceptable. His team were handing out contracts to chums with no track record of sourcing the necessary supplies. Some people have pocketed millions of our money of the back of this shitshow. The vaccination programme may be going well now but never forget the awful way this pandemic was handled from the start. From missed COBRA meetings to flip flopping on decisions, late decisions, not holding officials to account and what can only be described as fraud.

We may be about to win the war under this administration, but let’s hope the people remember everything that has happened to them stretching back to Cameron and May’s disastrous austerity measures and kick them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
The leader of the Opposition doesn't seem overly fussed ... not even calling for his resignation. :shrug:

Also, the vaccine success story highlights the benefits of private sector companies/individuals (appointed by the government) and the public sector working together .... a great rant though.

If I were the leader of the opposition, I’d want Hancock in post when the voters go to the polls.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
You need to grow up you silly little man, who do you think 'we' is.
If you cannot see what huge mistakes have taken place over the past year then you have my sympathy, we are talking about deaths that should not have happened.
This is way beyond anti Johnson, Labour v Tory, left v right, its about bringing to account those that are responsible.
And as above, a group of Tory back benchers want to rush this through at the most critical time.
I hope that Johnson at last does the right thing and ignores them, he now has the chance to do something properly and get the credit for it.
Or will he send the kids back to school for 1 day again with unvaccinated teachers or will he have us all running back into a pub for a scotch egg and 20 pints. I don't give a shit and,like you, cannot see or refuse to see right through Johnson as the useless, hapless, good time charlie that he is.

Silly little man -this really is progress; no real abuse! Same old problem with wanting to fit everything into the narrative, bringing in banalities such as the scotch egg (no one was forced to to go the pub) and thus the predictable inconsistency. We all want to see the end of this, and I too hope that we don't abandon lockdown too readily, but you also have to see problems from all sides - just simply claiming, as you do, that people who (in your perception) refuse to see what you claim to be right, are stupid, is not the answer, and really only compunds the arguments.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
If I were the leader of the opposition, I’d want Hancock in post when the voters go to the polls.

You would want a minister to stay in place, that you viewed as corrupt and probably incompetent during a pandemic just so you could have a potential electoral advantage ... shameful!

(Ever thought of starting a career in politics? :wink:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here