Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Minute's applause for Mandela ?

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Taking the closet racists out of the equation, everyone on this thread who has expressed unease at the clapping (myself included) has said that it was not relevant to the game and nothing to do with football. A point Uncle Spielberg made explicitly and you even responded to this in your "Little Englander" jibe with the addendum about us not knowing that we are part of a big wide world.

I think that's where a lot of you are out of touch and outdated.
Football clubs these days are more then just about the football, they do so much more in the community and will raise awareness and the profiles of charities on match days. I am glad that on Saturday they were raising the awareness of missing people and reaching out to the 25,000 odd fans about the plight and the effect it has on those left behind. Missing people has nothing to do with football, however its about thinking and helping other people. I am proud that our club looks beyond the ground and the football and reaches out to everyone in the community and will help where they can. 14 pages says a lot more about the moaners, what moan at the fact they you been asked to clap for a minute. The irony is lost on some of you, you are using a football forum to moan about an event that you feel should not be part of football and have spent longer doing it.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Is your problem that you don't think that the FA should organise these

In a nutshell, yes. I have nothing but the utmost respect for Mandela, I was living in South Africa when he took office and can attest to how the handover to majority rule was bloodless and in a very large way that was down to the man and his wishes. I dislike intensely football getting dragged into politics and I also dislike these orchestrated events at football matches where there doesn't seem to be any direct link to the club. I think we should be left to mark the great man's death in our own way.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
In a nutshell, yes. I have nothing but the utmost respect for Mandela, I was living in South Africa when he took office and can attest to how the handover to majority rule was bloodless and in a very large way that was down to the man and his wishes. I dislike intensely football getting dragged into politics and I also dislike these orchestrated events at football matches where there doesn't seem to be any direct link to the club. I think we should be left to mark the great man's death in our own way.

I think that with many players throughout our leagues of African descent that there may have been more fuss if the FA didn’t organise this.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I think that with many players throughout our leagues of African descent that there may have been more fuss if the FA didn’t organise this.
Can I just check I'm understanding your post correctly, you think that African players , in our league , here by choice, would've been justified in complaining/making a fuss , if the league hadn't organised some form of recognition for a man who wasn't British, didn't live here, and if truth be told , was nothing to do with football , or this country , correct ?

Last edited:

Jan 30, 2008
you say that but the bottom line was he was an active terrorist, along the lines of Martin and Dave from the IRA ???
regards
DR

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

Can I just check I'm understanding your post correctly, you think that African players , in our league , here by choice, would've been justified in complaining/making a fuss , if the league hadn't organised some form of recognition for a man who wasn't British, didn't live here, and if truth be told , was nothing to do with football , or this country , correct ?

No I did not say anything about African players making a fuss, I am saying if the FA didn't organise a minutes applause, the threads on HERE would be questioning why there wasn't one on behalf of players of African descent who may have wanted to honour Mandela.

Don't rewrite what I have said and tell me what I think.

With regards to Mandela having NOTHING to do with football, please try to keep up with the posts on here.

View attachment 49363

The most important football story ever told.

More than just a game

`It is amazing to think that a game that people take for granted all around the world, was the very same game that gave a group of prisoners sanity – and in a way, gave us the resolve to carry on the struggle'. Anthony Suze, Robben Island Prisoner.

This is the astonishing story of a unique group of political prisoners and freedom fighters who found a sense of dignity in one of the ugliest hellholes on Earth: South Africa’s infamous Robben Island, where Nelson Mandela was famously incarderated. Despite all odds and regular torture, beatings and daily backbreaking hard labour, these extraordinary men turned soccer into an active force in the struggle for freedom.

For nearly 20 years, these prisoners found the energy, spirit and resolve to organise a 1400 prisoner-strong, eight club football league which was played with strict adherance to FIFA rules.

The prisoners themselves represented a broad array of political beliefs and backgrounds, yet football became an impassioned and unified symbol of resistance against apartheid. They refused to let their own political differences sway their devotion to the sport, which allowed them to organise and maintain leadership right under the noses of their captors.

This league not only provided sanctuary and respite from the prisoners’ cruel surroundings, it kept their minds active and many credit it with keeping them alive. More Than Just a Game chronicles their story, the politics of the time, the extraordinary characters, their heroism and the thrilling matches themselves.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
No I did not say anything about African players making a fuss, I am saying if the FA didn't organise a minutes applause, the threads on HERE would be questioning why there wasn't one on behalf of players of African descent who may have wanted to honour Mandela.

Don't rewrite what I have said and tell me what I think.
Yeah right, of course thats what you meant.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Yeah right, of course thats what you meant.

I used players of African descent as an example of why it is relevant in Britain just in case you thought we were living in Nazi Germany.

As I said, there would have been more fuss, I should have included and on here NSC, if a minutes applause wasn't organised.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I have to say that, having experienced 2 lots of a minutes applause in the last week, and no disrespect, but it seems a lot longer than a minutes silence :)

Dandyman

In London village.
there were so many can't think why he got banged up can you ??? ANYWAY YOU EITHER LOVE HIM OR QUESTION HIM DON'T YOU
regards
DR

An out and out lie. The sabotage campaign, itself a reaction to state terror, was aimed at objects not people. I don't expect racist mongs to display much intelligence but at least try and do some homework.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
nothing to see here......keep following pied pipers the MSM puts before you...

1497722_10153536003065104_241845482_n.jpg
1452417_251117645041349_21774275_n.jpg
1456576_604010346302687_1728039702_n.jpg

And don't forget, order like the Knights of Malta don't exist, that is stuff for conspiracy nutters.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Is this still going ? It is incredible some people felt so threatened to a 1 minute, 30 seconds as it was show of affection to one of the, if not the greatest Man of the 20th/21st Century.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here