Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Neal Maupay *** SIGNED from Brentford - 4 year deal - undisclosed fee ***

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
For the most part he does more than an average/poor EPL striker. He gets into the right positions which is the hardest thing to do. He just fails to be clinical at all when he gets there. Some of his misses beggar belief. If yesterday was a one off it's excusable but to miss regularly isn't. I'm one who sees him as a player who will suddenly click and have a storming run, his time though maybe limited with us.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Watching the warm up as well, I don’t think he scored one goal in that shooting drill they do in front of the north stand his head seemed to drop every time he missed, he’s trying but he’s just not good enough, I can forgive that, it’s not his fault really we are in a position where he’s our only striker and most of the time we play with no striker, that’s how little faith Potter has in him, which obviously can’t help but you can’t blame him.

Saying that, the guy isn’t alone, of course he will receive more of the stick because he is a striker but across the team our shooting is absolutely abysmal, there’s no other words for it and it has been for a few seasons now, to the point where it’s not bad luck anymore.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Watching the warm up as well, I don’t think he scored one goal in that shooting drill they do in front of the north stand his head seemed to drop every time he missed, he’s trying but he’s just not good enough, I can forgive that, it’s not his fault really we are in a position where he’s our only striker and most of the time we play with no striker, that’s how little faith Potter has in him, which obviously can’t help but you can’t blame him.

Saying that, the guy isn’t alone, of course he will receive more of the stick because he is a striker but across the team our shooting is absolutely abysmal, there’s no other words for it and it has been for a few seasons now, to the point where it’s not bad luck anymore.

Difficult to argue with this

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

I watch the shooting drills as well (to inform my first scorer bet). The thing I notice is the high number of saves made. What it says to me is that we're prioritising shots on target. Presumably this is because of some analysis along the lines of, if you get them on target you might get a GK error or deflection. The trouble is, at this level GK's don't make many mistakes and you need a bit of luck to get the right deflection.

The other thing I notice, is a large number of side foot, placed sort of shots. Again, fine if you're bearing down on goal, but the keeper is always in the game with those.

What we don't do, in training or really in a match is properly ping it. Head down, laces through the ball, smash it one, type efforts

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Finding a better finisher than Maupay is not a big problem. That could be easily solved.

Finding a better finisher who is also willing and able to make the kind of work effort he does is a different thing. As we saw against Newcastle and Villa, the team creates less chances if you dont have Neal Maupay making a 30-40m sprint towards his own defenders each time they have the ball to make himself available and link up with the rest of the Brighton players on the attacking half. Finding someone who does that while also being a great finisher is really difficult. Same reasons Liverpool keeps going with the somewhat goal shy Roberto Firmino.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Finding a better finisher than Maupay is not a big problem. That could be easily solved.

Finding a better finisher who is also willing and able to make the kind of work effort he does is a different thing. As we saw against Newcastle and Villa, the team creates less chances if you dont have Neal Maupay making a 30-40m sprint towards his own defenders each time they have the ball to make himself available and link up with the rest of the Brighton players on the attacking half. Finding someone who does that while also being a great finisher is really difficult. Same reasons Liverpool keeps going with the somewhat goal shy Roberto Firmino.

Trouble, is that you can justify a Firmino if there are other people in the side who can score.

We kind of need a centre forward better at the basics of the role .... you know, the whole ball/net business

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I see alot of similarities with Barnes & Maupay and some on here are in danger of making Maupay into a scapegoat just like they did with Barnes, who has gone on to prove those doubters wrong, insisting he is not good enough for the EPL.
Maupay works extremely hard for the team, makes intelligent runs and is going through a lean spell, I think people have forgotten that he was the best we could afford at the time, and has been burdened with all the pressure of being the main striker.
We can all see we need an upgrade, we read it on here, we read it in the press, we hear it on the radio shows, we see & hear it on the match of the day analysis.

Just what does that do to a players confidence, knowing that everyone thinks you are the weak link, and at the first given opportunity will be replaced...
I feel for the lad, he does nothing but his best for the club, and we need to show how much we appreciate that...

Just my opinion mind.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
We keep saying we need a better striker so often that it becomes a fact through sheer repetition. When I look at other teams with expensive strikers I see that Son at spurs is on 4 the same as Neil.
I think the commentator at the weekend said that Reece at Chelsea was their top scorer. The full back!
Also on 4 I believe.
As Gus would say “ees complicated”

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Massive shift from the lad tonight followed by a fantastic goal.

Put some respect on his name.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I think Maupay is better with the more difficult chances!

Great goal.

Love you Maupay!

what is strange for this and the palace goal he really had to think it through - not instinctive but had to plan and has scored two very good goals.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Next time he has a tap in opportunity I want him to turn around and backheel it or lift it up for a volley or bicycleta.

Did very well today, had to do a massive job as Trossard had a day off.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Just start him in away games, it suits his game and personality and takes the pressure off him at home. He’s probably claimed the two best moments of our season so far with this and the Palace goal both away.

Also, that was a much better goal than Ali J’s bicycle kick but it won’t get the same credit.

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
What a lovely goal.

Love his attitude, love his honesty. He’s scoring goals. If we don’t cherish him, someone else will. He’s a good guy and a much better player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Stop criticising Maupay his contribution to the way the team play is immense... sure he misses chances but so do a lot of strikers in the PL. The problem is that in the modern game its not about a number 9 getting 20 goals (ok there are some) Moder & Lalana had good chances and should have scored. Not many players have scored more than Maupay....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here