Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Next Conservative Leader - Rishi Sunak

Who should be the next leader of the conservative party?

• Boris

Votes: 48 17.8%
  • Therese Coffey

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Rishi Sunak

Votes: 107 39.8%
  • Penny Mourdant

Votes: 31 11.5%
  • Ben Wallace

Votes: 21 7.8%
  • Jeremy Hunt

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Mick Gove

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Suella Braverman

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Chris Grayling

Votes: 11 4.1%
  • Matt Hancock

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Sir Graham Brady

Votes: 6 2.2%
  • Jacob Rees-Mogg

Votes: 18 6.7%
  • Dom Raab

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nadine Dorries

Votes: 11 4.1%
  • Pretty Patel

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I do wonder (and, yes, this is a late Friday night wonder) if Johnson had got his mates in the press to back Truss once he'd resigned, knowing full well she wasn't up to it and he'd get an opportunity to come back.

If so, he'd certainly got the measure of her (but then two minutes watching her does that) but hadn't at all reckoned on the speed with which the markets would kill her, nor the knock on effect on the middle class.

It's a good live example on conspiracy. That at a high level, someone like Johnson who knows all the right wing press could exert influence, giving some credence to the theory, before its effectiveness is disproved by something utterly unexpected and uncontrollable, in this case the financial markets.
its fun, however you couldnt plan for Kwarteng to do a parliaments worth of cuts in one go without passing OBR or even any real briefing. had they just got the energy cap and maybe one of the to do list done, it wouldnt have had the impact. they were undone by their hubris. sterling was rising initially when he started.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
its fun, however you couldnt plan for Kwarteng to do a parliaments worth of cuts in one go without passing OBR or even any real briefing. had they just got the energy cap and maybe one of the to do list done, it wouldnt have had the impact. they were undone by their hubris. sterling was rising initially when he started.
Oh absolutely. Your Kwartengs and Trusses are exactly why I don't believe in a great big lodge somewhere deciding these things. There is simply no way you could co-ordinate the chaos of the last month.

Nevertheless, the Mail backed Truss and will now, presumably, back a return for Boris because he has a "mandate", the sort of thing believed by the sort of thicket who'd vote for a cockapoo puppy in a blue rosette. I don't think that's accidental at all.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I do wonder (and, yes, this is a late Friday night wonder) if Johnson had got his mates in the press to back Truss once he'd resigned, knowing full well she wasn't up to it and he'd get an opportunity to come back.

If so, he'd certainly got the measure of her (but then two minutes watching her does that) but hadn't at all reckoned on the speed with which the markets would kill her, nor the knock on effect on the middle class.

It's a good live example on conspiracy. That at a high level, someone like Johnson who knows all the right wing press could exert influence, giving some credence to the theory, before its effectiveness is disproved by something utterly unexpected and uncontrollable, in this case the financial markets.

Rafael Behr, writing in the Gruaniad suggested this very thing. He got his remaining supporters to throw their weight behind Truss to deprive Sunak of the job as Johnson blamed Sunak for starting the wave of resignations that triggered his demise. Knowing that Truss was hopeless gave him the chance to have a holiday and wait to get the call to return as the party saviour when it all went tits up.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Even on lefty NSC 20% percent on the poll think Johnson is fit and proper to be PM of this country.

I'd genuinely like to hear why?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Even on lefty NSC 20% percent on the poll think Johnson is fit and proper to be PM of this country.

you are forgetting the moron protagonists who just love to be anti commonsense on here, you know, the Ignore List buffoons ?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Rafael Behr, writing in the Gruaniad suggested this very thing. He got his remaining supporters to throw their weight behind Truss to deprive Sunak of the job as Johnson blamed Sunak for starting the wave of resignations that triggered his demise. Knowing that Truss was hopeless gave him the chance to have a holiday and wait to get the call to return as the party saviour when it all went tits up.
He already hinted as much with his Roman history and Hasta la vista when he left.
It’s one big pantomime, gambling on sterling, making money and playing games with our lives.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

There may well be some folk who are not taking the poll seriously?

Reactions: cjd

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

That wasn’t quite the question, though - it was Tory leader, not PM. That’s asking for skewed voting.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
They are not my Tories Harry, I won't be voting for them in the next election nor did I vote for Brexit. I don't need to justify anything, but I despised Blair in his later years and frankly still can't stand the man.
You leave me in a state of bafflement then. I'll try to meet you later at the fifth hypotenuse of the square, if you can circle that :wink:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
He never actually used the words "resign" or "resigning" in his leaving speech, did he? I remember there being some doubt he would actually move out of Downing Street.

I think he's taking a bit of a gamble by running. If I was him, I'd lie low, wait until the enquiry finishes and let some other sucker deal with the ongoing shitshow that could well mean they lose the election. Then he could come back as opposition leader and probably do very well (getting the Tories back in).

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
What happens if nobody gets 100 nominations?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Genuine quote from a Facebook page. The Tories had..

'told her to go because there globerlists bring back boris'

There is no hope.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here