Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Next Conservative Leader - Rishi Sunak

Who should be the next leader of the conservative party?

• Boris

Votes: 48 17.8%
  • Therese Coffey

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Rishi Sunak

Votes: 107 39.8%
  • Penny Mourdant

Votes: 31 11.5%
  • Ben Wallace

Votes: 21 7.8%
  • Jeremy Hunt

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Mick Gove

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Suella Braverman

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Chris Grayling

Votes: 11 4.1%
  • Matt Hancock

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Sir Graham Brady

Votes: 6 2.2%
  • Jacob Rees-Mogg

Votes: 18 6.7%
  • Dom Raab

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nadine Dorries

Votes: 11 4.1%
  • Pretty Patel

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Does anyone know if Braverman's actions that led up to her resigning, are being investigated?

Why was she sending government documents (from her own private email account) to a backbench MP, and someone she mistakenly thought was his wife, when neither of them were in the Home Office anyway? In spite of Braverman owning up to 'a mistake', there were several mistakes made, and a whole sequence of poor decisions, made seemingly without reference to the ministerial code. Does she consider the ministerial code should not apply to her?

The decision by Sunak to reinstate her into her old job, after just 6 days, regardless of whether it was intended to unify the party or not, is also a matter of great concern surrounding Suella Braverman.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Does anyone know if Braverman's actions that led up to her resigning, are being investigated?

Why was she sending government documents (from her own private email account) to a backbench MP, and someone she mistakenly thought was his wife, when neither of them were in the Home Office anyway? In spite of Braverman owning up to 'a mistake', there were several mistakes made, and a whole sequence of poor decisions, made seemingly without reference to the ministerial code. Does she consider the ministerial code should not apply to her?

The decision by Sunak to reinstate her into her old job, after just 6 days, regardless of whether it was intended to unify the party or not, is also a matter of great concern surrounding Suella Braverman.
No they're not being investigated, on the grounds that the incident happened under a previous administration. Yvette Cooper asked the same thing.

Corrupt to the core.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
My favourite bit of late is when the HEALTH MINISTER advocated dishing out her own prescription drugs to friends and family. Or when the Home Secretary used her Government email account to forward classified Government documents to her personal Gmail account, to then forward on to her own personal right-wing backbench advice guru - but also accidentally cc'd some other random bint in error. Lied about it. Gets fired for it for breaching the Ministerial Code. And then 6 DAYS LATER, is back in the cabinet. I mean, you just can't WRITE this stuff.

I bloody love The Thick of It

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
My favourite bit of late is when the HEALTH MINISTER advocated dishing out her own prescription drugs to friends and family. Or when the Home Secretary used her Government email account to forward classified Government documents to her personal Gmail account, to then forward on to her own personal right-wing backbench advice guru - but also accidentally cc'd some other random bint in error. Lied about it. Gets fired for it for breaching the Ministerial Code. And then 6 DAYS LATER, is back in the cabinet. I mean, you just can't WRITE this stuff.

So who are the random bint that got cc'd in, presumably this is how it came to light?

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Last edited:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
.James Cleverly a most in appropriately named person in UK politics. Probably just stay out of this one mate, unless you've got something sensible to say

As much as hammering a Tory is fun I don’t get this uproar with what he said. You’re in another country so you’d expect to respect their rules and beliefs. If you don’t, then don’t go.

I’ve been every major tournament since 2006 and I don’t really understand why now fans who are part of this group feel the need to make sure everyone knows their sexuality or gender. I’ve never seen anything ‘special’ at previous tournaments just football fans there to enjoy the football.

South Africa, Ukraine & Russia aren’t especially tolerant of LGBTQ people and there really wasn’t much focus on that before those tournaments, so not sure why this one.

And as someone not married, and she wouldn’t go anyway, but if she did we’d be sure to respect the local laws as a non married couple should in Qatar - and others should do the same.

I’ve met a few gay and lesbian England fans over the years and they’re all just ordinary people watching football matches - never seen them running around with rainbow flags and I’m not sure why anyone would do the same unless they really do it every match.

<rant over>

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
As much as hammering a Tory is fun I don’t get this uproar with what he said. You’re in another country so you’d expect to respect their rules and beliefs. If you don’t, then don’t go.

I’ve been every major tournament since 2006 and I don’t really understand why now fans who are part of this group feel the need to make sure everyone knows their sexuality or gender. I’ve never seen anything ‘special’ at previous tournaments just football fans there to enjoy the football.

South Africa, Ukraine & Russia aren’t especially tolerant of LGBTQ people and there really wasn’t much focus on that before those tournaments, so not sure why this one.

And as someone not married, and she wouldn’t go anyway, but if she did we’d be sure to respect the local laws as a non married couple should in Qatar - and others should do the same.

I’ve met a few gay and lesbian England fans over the years and they’re all just ordinary people watching football matches - never seen them running around with rainbow flags and I’m not sure why anyone would do the same unless they really do it every match.

<rant over>
The message from our government should be: major sporting events shouldn't be held in places with draconian laws that discriminate. Period. The government should be repeating what you are saying that if you are LGBT don't go - and that is unacceptable to hold a tournament because of that.

What is happening instead is trying to smooth away the grotesque laws in this place by saying 'be respectful [of their laws]' - the whole tournament becomes an exercise in acceptance.

If a football world cup is supposed to be a unifying symbol of sport for all, then having to pretend not to be a couple or gay or whatever else, it is an epic fail and should be universally condemned as such.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The message from our government should be: major sporting events shouldn't be held in places with draconian laws that discriminate. Period. The government should be repeating what you are saying that if you are LGBT don't go - and that is unacceptable to hold a tournament because of that.
I’m not sure given our recent law changes about protests makes us a country to lecture about ‘freedom’ really

People of colour were ‘warned’ about going to Ukraine in 2012 & Russia 2018. Those 2 countries + South Africa are pretty intolerant to LGBTQ , no one cared at that point. People just got on with it, LGBQT & POC went to all those tournaments and I never heard of issues.

And no one has to pretend anything - just act like you normally would at a football match or travelling round a foreign city.

When countries have tournaments they are markably different to be in, I expect Qatar the same (we’ve already seen it with the relaxation of alcohol laws) - they won’t want the negative publicity.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I’m not sure given our recent law changes about protests makes us a country to lecture about ‘freedom’ really
I won't disagree with you on that, but this isn't necessarily about lecturing the country, it is about saying an international tournament or event shouldn't be held in a place that discriminates through law against people whether race, sexuality, religion.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I won't disagree with you on that, but this isn't necessarily about lecturing the country, it is about saying an international tournament or event shouldn't be held in a place that discriminates through law against people whether race, sexuality, religion.
Which is fine - but it’s happened plenty of times before and no one really cared.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Which is fine - but it’s happened plenty of times before and no one really cared.
I'm not sure a world cup has been held in a country where things like homosexuality were explicitly illegal and subject to being a criminal offense, but I could be wrong on that. Sure, it's been held in places with culturally divisive attitudes to race and sexuality, but not as the laws of the land?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm not sure a world cup has been held in a country where things like homosexuality were explicitly illegal and subject to being a criminal offense, but I could be wrong on that. Sure, it's been held in places with culturally divisive attitudes to race and sexuality, but not as the laws of the land?
England 1966. Homosexuality didn’t become legal here until 1967.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Mexico 86 - didn’t change their laws until 91 either I believe

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Mexico 86 - didn’t change their laws until 91 either I believe
Mexico had the Napoleonic code, so same sex in private wasn't a criminal offense from 1871. May have updated laws over time but not sure it was illegal in 70 or 86.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

And they won’t investigate because the incident 7 whole days ago was under a different administration. It’s a shocking and has the potential to bring the whole house of cards down again.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
England 1966. Homosexuality didn’t become legal here until 1967.
If following 66 you have:
Mexico 1970
West Germany 1974
Argentina 1978
Spain 1982
Mexico 1986
Italy 1990
USA 1994
France 1998
Japan 2002
Germany 2006
South Africa 2010
Brazil 2014
Russia 2018

Are we saying the last world cup where homosexuality was against the law was England 1966. I'll get my coat....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here