Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Nigel Farage and Reform

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Anyone seen that Starmer has already kicked the Rwanda scheme into touch?

A good start. Apologies if fixtures.
Not sure what this has to do with Farage and Reform?

"Mr Farage said the government's proposals to deport some asylum seekers to Rwanda “doesn't work”

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
5 MPS, 4 of which look pretty well qualified candidates is a reasonable start. The vote share suggests 1 in 7 people voted for them. You can’t ignore that. That vote will grow next time or they will move to the conservatives in some form or other.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

"Mr Farage said the government's proposals to deport some asylum seekers to Rwanda “doesn't work”
True.

But their.solutuon would be to leave the ECHR which is absolute insanity. In fact, I am concerned that Reform's nonsense goes unchecked all too often by their opponents. If this continues, their brand of populist crap is only going to get more popular.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
5 MPS, 4 of which look pretty well qualified candidates is a reasonable start. The vote share suggests 1 in 7 people voted for them. You can’t ignore that. That vote will grow next time or they will move to the conservatives in some form or other.
If Labour address a significant part of the immigration issue then many will move back to conservatives. I also think that Farages thin skin is going to do him no favours. its one thing being an unelected ****, it’s quiet another being an elected ****. It’ll be interesting to see if his links to Russia are now investigate.
he has cost the Tories dear something which he won’t be forgiven for.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020

Eh? Is that a serious question or are you trolling?

Farage is a disruptor. He went for the Tory vote, disagreed with Rwanda, but now the constituency he went for barely exists, and the policy he disagreed with, is to be scrapped. He needs to stay relevant.

The shifting sands of British politics.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
True.

But their.solutuon would be to leave the ECHR which is absolute insanity. In fact, I am concerned that Reform's nonsense goes unchecked all too often by their opponents. If this continues, their brand of populist crap is only going to get more popular.
Absolutely I agree with you on that point, leaving the ECHR is a non starter

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Eh? Is that a serious question or are you trolling?

Farage is a disruptor. He went for the Tory vote, disagreed with Rwanda, but now the constituency he went for barely exists, and the policy he disagreed with, is to be scrapped. He needs to stay relevant.

The shifting sands of British politics.
Well it was a serious question in part, since I wasn't trolling

To me the whole Rwanda policy was firmly a Conservative policy which Labour has revoked.

Farage came out and said it doesn't work

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Reform party will be getting state funding now of about £950k a year.

I thought the state paid about £2m total, split between the parties (depending on things like vote share)?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If that happens, they've not really got a USP as a political party. Apart from being 'anti-woke' and yearning for a return to 'the good old days'.

Farage could just ask us to join the Russia Ukraine war on Russia's side.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
I think Farage will always have some pull factor and the Conservatives know this, it'll be interesting how the next 5 years unfold.

I suppose it depends who's elected as next Conservative party leader

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Well it was a serious question in part, since I wasn't trolling

To me the whole Rwanda policy was firmly a Conservative policy which Labour has revoked.

Farage came out and said it doesn't work
So it was a serious question then.

Why did you ask what the Rwanda scheme has to do with Farage, and then in your next sentence contradict yourself, telling us he disagreed with it?

IMO, Farage disagreed with Rwanda because he wanted to make a land grab for the Tory right wing vote. Not because he is compassionate about migrants, or because he has a better plan to deal with them.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Skegness and Clacton will be disappointed when they find their MPs aren’t the slightest bit interested in their dilapidated schools, or the potholes in their streets.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I thought the state paid about £2m total, split between the parties (depending on things like vote share)?
The Short money is dependent on seats and votes. It's about £22k per seat, and about £43 for every 200 votes. I reckoned on that basis they would get around £950k. However, I didn't notice that there is a floor and a ceiling to payments made to parties with 5 or less seats, which means the Reform Party will only get £355k from Short money, and a couple of grand for travel expenses.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Here's a link, specially selected for the Reform voters:

'UK’s new PM Keir Starmer kills Rwanda plan on first day' - Arab News.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Equal rights for women would be a good example. Also the right to freedom of religion for all, and the acceptance that their own religion can be insulted without penalty.
Oddly that goes against what is taught as fundamental British values. What about respect and tolerance. It works both ways.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Skegness and Clacton will be disappointed when they find their MPs aren’t the slightest bit interested in their dilapidated schools, or the potholes in their streets.

But they are interested in potholes and dilapidated schools TB, they need the decay, so they can blame Labour, Tory and ultimately, immigrants for it. Of course, if things improve, it will be because Nigel fought for it.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

True, he prefers dragging all small boats back to France, some of his members prefer sinking the boats and shooting the occupants, or letting them drown.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here