Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Non Boxing Day football [moved to Tue. December 18th]

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The Fatboy gigs managed to go ahead with no trains. I'm sure the club and supporters can figure out a work around for this game. It's not beyond the wit of man.

No they didn't.

Trains ran to the gig for those who wanted to use them - and plenty did. And plenty also left the gig early to catch trains before they ceased stopping at Falmer to pick-up.

Beyond that, there was a full bus service across the City both before and after, as well as a fleet of special buses to ferry people back to town.

Finally, isn't an Albion match-day crowd in excess of the number at a gig?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
To be honest if there's no public transport and no parking I'm going to give this one a miss - seagulls player and festive cheer at home for me, as it would be for an away match on Boxing Day.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
When it comes to transport issues, you're comparing apples and oranges. Three times as many people use public transport to get to the stadium than anyone else's.

And the club and police went to the League at the beginning of the season about this. I'm told that the FL are digging thier heels in, and insisting that the game goes ahead. I suspect - though don't know - that the police might have another say in this.

Well, as I said, people managed in the 50s, 60s and 70s when private car ownership was much lower.

I don't think the FL would take kindly to a police request at this stage. This would have been flagged four months ago if this were an issue.

Quite. I've been to pretty much every home Boxing Game since the early 70s (and several away ones too). There's been minimal public transport on those days and I don't drive. I see no reason for lack of buses to be a problem.

Right there, Max.

I remember Darren Balkham saying it was in motion at the Lewes v Brighton friendly.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Trains ran to the gig for those who wanted to use them - and plenty did. And plenty also left the gig early to catch trains before they ceased stopping at Falmer to pick-up.

Fair point.

No they didn't.

Beyond that, there was a full bus service across the City both before and after, as well as a fleet of special buses to ferry people back to town.

Why not organise special buses for Boxing Day?

Finally, isn't an Albion match-day crowd in excess of the number at a gig?

I understand the Saturday gig was around the 23 thousand mark so comparable to an Albion gate on Boxing Day I'd say.

Also, there will be 2 car parks in operation which Fatboy could not make use of and 1 which full use could not be made. Did Fatboy have use of all the P&Rs?

I just think with some planning this is not an issue. Across the country all manner of one offf events take place with far greater crowds in inaccessible places and plans are put in place to ferry people in and out. Please, for once can we just rise to a challenge?

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Has anyone actually emailed Paul Barber and asked him the exact situation instead of speculating on here ?

I sent an e-mail to the club last Thursday asking what their plans are because of the transport situation but not had a reply as yet.
I'll certainly let you all know what they come back with. If I don't get a response by this coming Thursday, I'll be pestering them again.

But we did have 28,353 on Boxing Day against Palace in 1979 - a match I remember very well, having walked to the Goldstone from Moulscoomb.

things you remember eh? I took the exact same route home from this match and stopped at the phonebox outside The Martha Gunn to tell my parents I was en route and when my 2p got stuck I gave it a bash and 56p dropped into them tiny little tray things they had then, fuckin Jackpot bareing in mind admission for an U16 was 70p

BHAZiggy

Pedant
Jan 12, 2011
Hastings
I'll happily walk from Hastings so long as they promise not to make me listen to Crap Boy Slim again.

BHAZiggy

Pedant
Jan 12, 2011
Hastings
Surely, there would be enough bus drivers who would prefer to get some overtime than have to traipse round the shops with the missus. And train drivers, for that matter.
Give them a free ticket too. That may add to the incentive. It could also solve the problem of so many leaving early because nobody goes anywhere until the drivers get back to the busses.

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
In the fifties and sixties a lot more trains ran on Boxing Day. There were also special buses to the Goldstone. As teenagers at that time we could also get to away games in London and the suburbs quite easily - the Underground and local trains were operating. It was also far easier to find parking spaces at the Goldstone (and even at Withdean) than it is at the Amex- and it looks as this will become harder! I would quite happily walk - but Bognor's a bit far!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
How did people who lived in, say, Worthing get to the games in those days?
Trains. Trains used to run on Boxing Day - and Christmas Day come to that. The last train on Christmas Day was in 1964. In London the tube ran on Christmas Day until 1979. Needless to say the Germans run trains on Christmas Day ...

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I'm not one to complain about games being moved normally, but this should have been sorted by now. Sorting out plans and time off at Christmas is enough of a hassle anyway without having to second guess when our game will go ahead

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Trains. Trains used to run on Boxing Day - and Christmas Day come to that. The last train on Christmas Day was in 1964. In London the tube ran on Christmas Day until 1979. Needless to say the Germans run trains on Christmas Day ...

It's a joke that we don't have at least a sunday service on Boxing Day. As well as a full football programme there's a f*** ton of racing and there's loads of sales on at the shops for all the ladies. Why don't we have any trains? Is it a union-driven thing or just the TOCs decision.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here